Lifters....yeah, its that time I think. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Lifters....yeah, its that time I think. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by rand49er ...okie dokie..... Is that a technical term?...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Lifters....yeah, its that time I think.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    ...okie dokie.....
    Is that a technical term?

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Okie dokie is a big term for me! Also an elementary teacher so it fits for me!

BDV

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post
    Okie dokie is a big term for me! Also an elementary teacher so it fits for me!

BDV
    I looked it up - it means copacetic.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Is that a technical term?
    Highly. Thought I'd throw it into the conversation to impress a few of you with my sophisticated acumen.
    darkman and BigDaddy-V like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Copacetic and acumen. Better slow down some of these guys might not know what we are saying! Hehe.

BDV

Wingsfan4life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V Black Raven
    I have a similar tap sound on mine..I asked about octane because I run a couple gallons of 110 mixed with 93 once or twice a week in warm months..and I've noticed the tap goes away with that mixture..

2007-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Yeah, I really need to get off my butt and check the injectors. Since it comes and goes now I am thinking that is more likely at this point....well that or something is trying to repair itself, which I am not upset about...lol

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none
    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    Doing valve springs and lifters just involves popping the heads off (after removing the intake man). Doing a cam, too, means you'll have to also take off the front fascia, drain the coolant system, and remove the radiator (wud I forget?) in addition to the "cover, oil pump, timing chain, and cam." "20 minutes?" You must be one of those NASCAR mechanics.
    Ok, I'm going to take a minute and let you re read what you wrote.

Ok.

Now, why do you have to remove the front facia? I assume you mean bumper and it is not required. If you have the heads of and have not drained the coolant, I'm impressed and will just stand back and watch. I like how changing a cam became more difficult then "popping off the heads" lol if you have the heads off the whole car is in pieces. Removing the radiator is easy as pie (since chances are the water pump and hoses are off by now), and using a puller to take off the balancer is easy as well. Once that is done for the in experienced lsx tech it would take an hour tops to remove the cover, oil pump, chain and cam and reinstall it all back. This is not rocket science. But hey, popping off them heads is easy, hell, I bet you can reuse the head gaskets!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by nikdsctsv View Post
    Ok, I'm going to take a minute and let you re read what you wrote.

Ok.

Now, why do you have to remove the front facia? I assume you mean bumper and it is not required. If you have the heads of and have not drained the coolant, I'm impressed and will just stand back and watch. I like how changing a cam became more difficult then "popping off the heads" lol if you have the heads off the whole car is in pieces. Removing the radiator is easy as pie (since chances are the water pump and hoses are off by now), and using a puller to take off the balancer is easy as well. Once that is done for the in experienced lsx tech it would take an hour tops to remove the cover, oil pump, chain and cam and reinstall it all back. This is not rocket science. But hey, popping off them heads is easy, hell, I bet you can reuse the head gaskets!
    You're right about the coolant being drained before removing the heads.

I reread your post. Here's your quote: "Removing the cover,oil pump, timing chain, cam? After the balancer is off those things take roughly 20 minutes."

I guess my assumption is that there would not be room to slide the cam out without having the front fascia removed. You must admit, it certainly would be a whole bunch easier that way. Even if there is room to remove the cam without doing this and neglecting your omission of the radiator removal, how many of us casual, weekend, backyard mechanics do you think can realistically accomplish this in "20 minutes" while taking appropriate care not to booger up the cam lobes and bearing journals? In your case, if you can forgive me, I have to double down and acknowledge your prowess as a highly-worthy mechanic because most of us just don't do this stuff on a regular basis and lack the confidence that we're taking proper care of our precious cars, and I'm assuming the OP fits that description.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none
    Quote Originally Posted by rand49er
    You're right about the coolant being drained before removing the heads. I reread your post. Here's your quote: "Removing the cover,oil pump, timing chain, cam? After the balancer is off those things take roughly 20 minutes." I guess my assumption is that there would not be room to slide the cam out without having the front fascia removed. You must admit, it certainly would be a whole bunch easier that way. Even if there is room to remove the cam without doing this and neglecting your omission of the radiator removal, how many of us casual, weekend, backyard mechanics do you think can realistically accomplish this in "20 minutes" while taking appropriate care not to booger up the cam lobes and bearing journals? In your case, if you can forgive me, I have to double down and acknowledge your prowess as a highly-worthy mechanic because most of us just don't do this stuff on a regular basis and lack the confidence that we're taking proper care of our precious cars, and I'm assuming the OP fits that description.
    Ok, I can see your point. The radiator is very easily removed. But I'd dare to say it is easier to change the cam, then take off and reinstall the heads. Just last month I helped a buddy who does not belong working on cars, to change his springs and cam in his c5z. I'm just saying the cam is very easy to change.

I wouldn't say I am a total newb...but by no means an expert either. Also this is my only car currently so downtime is my biggest issue more-so than the actual difficulty level.

With that said I wouldn't be doing a cam until I could do all the "supporting" mods to go along with it and that is a ways off at this stage....unfortunately

Have you figured out what it is yet Buddy? Just wondering.

BDV

MarkFJ40 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTSV

Good chance if you do have a lifter that cratered that the cam lobe is also damaged. Might as well do it all while you have it apart.

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

Quote Originally Posted by MarkFJ40 View Post
    Good chance if you do have a lifter that cratered that the cam lobe is also damaged. Might as well do it all while you have it apart.
    agreed... too bad you can't find out what is wrong without tearing it apart. keep us posted, I think you should get a stethoscope (autozone sells them) and see what you can find. You will know if its inside the block with a stethoscope.

Could also try and get a video of it and all around the areas, including by the door or underneath. it may help others help you. just a thought!

I looked all over and couldn't find my stethoscope so had to order another one....Prime should have it here tomorrow/Wednesday. I have a couple of videos I have already made a bit ago (links below), however can make new ones if there is a certain area anyone would like to hear etc...

Cold start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvt3xvgVVM8

After drive to work, approx. 185 oil temp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUx6qCjF3fQ

I am not worried about the "sewing machine" noise that the LS2 is known for, its the other "tick" noise. The odd thing is it now comes and goes in severity, to a point of I think its almost gone and then if I get up around 200 on oil temps it will come back....however never more than other times it occurs.. so like it has a ceiling on severity but doesn't always stay at said ceiling....

I hope that makes sense....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.