Lifters....yeah, its that time I think. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Lifters....yeah, its that time I think. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by darkman ... Doing a cam, however, does involve a lot of extra work, tools, and parts. Originally ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Lifters....yeah, its that time I think.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    ... Doing a cam, however, does involve a lot of extra work, tools, and parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdsctsv View Post
    Huh? Doing a cam requires a puller for the balancer and that's about it? What else is difficult about that? Removing the cover,oil pump, timing chain, cam? After the balancer is off those things take roughly 20 minutes ...
    Doing valve springs and lifters just involves popping the heads off (after removing the intake man). Doing a cam, too, means you'll have to also take off the front fascia, drain the coolant system, and remove the radiator (wud I forget?) in addition to the "cover, oil pump, timing chain, and cam."

"20 minutes?" You must be one of those NASCAR mechanics.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

I doubt the lifters are bad. I'd question the oil pump if it has not been maintained. If you're dead set on lifters, at least make sure you replace the oil pump while you're in there.

Also, if you end up getting lifters, do yourself a favor and get the Morel's from the start. I had to replace mine twice b/c I didn't listen to that advice.

2007-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Im not dead set on anything at this stage, but I doubt its the oil pump...unless these can have oil pump issues while keeping dead on oil pressures across the board.

I still have to check the injectors and a few other items and see what happens.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 2007-V View Post
    Im not dead set on anything at this stage, but I doubt its the oil pump...unless these can have oil pump issues while keeping dead on oil pressures across the board.

I still have to check the injectors and a few other items and see what happens.
    Are you running the oem engine cover? That cover blocks a lot of noise. If the tick is inaudible with the cover on, but audible with the cover off I would tend to believe it is harmless.

No, I have the Corvette engine covers.

With that said I am leaning towards an injector or maybe the dual mass flywheel. Mainly due to the severity changes of this particular tick, and I noticed when I started it yesterday it wasn't there, however when I restarted it a few hours later it was back. I will say it is not the normal valve train noise associated with these...I have that but this tick is a different pitch and level. However does follow the rev range up and down.

I would think a lifter would be the same all the time or get progressively worse.

Also I can hear it more from under the drivers door area than with the hood up usually.

Then again I may just drive it till something gets noticeably worse and make the diagnoses easier.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Granted I am not the best one on the forum for this as others have had the car longer and dealt with more stuff than me, but if it is coming from there and you can hear it better from under the car on the drivers side it very well could be some very tiny exhaust leak. Espically if it follows the rpm range that you are running. Just a thought. i know there was a similar sound on another forum members car close to me and he had some exhaust work done and I think it got better. Now he is currently running kooks LT's and high flow cats so all you hear is that! hehe. But maybe something to look into.

BDV

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

Yea definitely look at all your exhaust connections. you can also use a mechanic stethoscope to listen to injectors or valvetrain if you think its internal.

Wingsfan4life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V Black Raven
    What octane fuel do you use most of the time?

Didn't think of exhaust leak.....hmmm.....good thought.

I'm ordering a stethoscope tomorrow and going to listen to everything next weekend, assuming no snow in Texas...lol

I run 93 always. I can't speak for who owned before me but based on everything else I would bet they went cheap.

Side note: the tick noise under the hood wasn't there today either...from cold start to about 180 oil temp and nothing. Very odd but we will see I guess.

Blown_Red_97z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTSV
    A few years ago I test drove an 06 gto ls2 that I was looking to buy. It was a rich arminian kid who owned it and beat the shit out of it. I gunned it with only 20k miles on the clock and it started ticking. I thought it was odd and random, so on the way back to his house I gunned it again (I was looking at buying the car). Ticking got extremely loud and i told him we had to take it back. Turned out a valve spring broke. At only 20k. Therefore he beat the shit out of the car and it didn't last. I passed on the car and glad I did

Just saying poor maintenance and a crappy owner means the car won't last

Quote Originally Posted by Becker View Post
    ... your exhaust connections ...
    ... exhaust leak ...
    Do you have headers? I don't recall hearing of an exhaust leak with the stock setup, but I had one with my LTs and it sounds exactly like you're describing. Put new gaskets on, and it's now quiet. So-o much better than cracking the motor open.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

What oil pressure do you have cold idle and hot idle?

Stock exhaust...well muffler delete the previous owner did but stock otherwise.

This morning w/ 25 degree oil it was around 48 then down to 44 after a minute or two. Hot idle is always at 32-34 psi.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

The exhaust leak was just a thought. Not sure if that would be it but something to look into. Valve spring could be it too but since you hear it more from under the car I would think exhaust.

BDV

... This morning w/ 25 degree oil it was around 48 then down to 44 after a minute or two. Hot idle is always at 32-34 psi.
    Nothing wrong with that.

I'd do the easiest thing at this point, and that would be to pop the valve covers off and see if everything looks okie dokie. It might be possible to isolate the location of the noise at this point ... or not.

If you don't see a problem (e.g. broken spring), you might have to take the next step and check out the valves/lifters/etc close up and personal.
    BigDaddy-V likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.