Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Yet another wheel hop thread

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  silver1r 
#1 ·
I know wheel hop has been very well covered on these forums but I never found a thread that definitively answered my question. I grenaded my diff last night on my 04 presumably because it was so weak due to the continuous wheel hop. I'm looking at whipping out the pocketbook and just getting this wheel hop taken care of. So my question is will the CS 8.8 diff, revshift trailing arm bushings, and revshift cradle bushings completely take care of my wheel hop? I don't want to spend all that money and then find out the wheel hop is still present. Thanks in advance guys. Heres some pics of the not so healthy diff Auto part Automotive engine part Metal Engine
Auto part
Auto part
Coil spring Auto part Fuel line Tire Suspension part

See less See more
#3 ·
From everything I have read and owning both an 05 and now an 07 is that due to the way an IRS system works you will never have zero wheelhop. Now the mods you have laid out will not only reduce wheelhop by a huge amount, the added strength within the parts will go a long way to help keep this from happening again.

Still, with all this thrown at it you may still experience some wheel hop.

Now I will say that I have none of the parts listed above (yet) and just going on what I have read after multiple years of research, even before we had all the options that are available now. I am sure others that have these in use could give more real-world insight.

Also I will say that CS is a fantastic company to work with and their products are top notch (their red diff mount cured 80% of my wheelhop out of the box even without the diff block). I would recommend giving them a call as well as they have never pointed me in the wrong direction.

#8 ·
due to the way an IRS system works you will never have zero wheelhop.
This ^

With Specter Werkes cradle bushings and DSS/Hendrix axles (two of them), I have zero WH ... zero.
Doubt that highly. High RPM clutch dumps usually do not hop because the wheels just spin too fast and don't have the traction to start the hop. I dare you sir to put stickier tires on or go play in the rain and come back to say if you have no wheel hop.

----------

The Specter Werkes cradle bushings I could do. Are those better than Revshift?
No. Absolutely not. The specter works are just insert that go into the stock bushing, where as the rev shift is the entire bushing. The revshift will be hand over fist more difficult to install, but well worth it.

I have an 8.8 and all the bushing in my car. Soon to have trailing arms and toe rods so my rear will be as solid as you could get it (with maintaing bushings and not welding the subframe). I still have hop. no where near what it was stock, but again with the IRS and the right conditions it will hop. But now I don't fear for my diff, I just drive through it. Good luck!

#4 ·
With Specter Werkes cradle bushings and DSS/Hendrix axles (two of them), I have zero WH ... zero.

If, however, you want to dump the clutch numerous times a day, that 8.8 might be the preferred alternative.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
I wish I had installed them on my 05 now...lol. I cant speak to the benefits one way or the other, however the SW were designed where you did not have to drop the cradle to get the old ones out etc... they work with the factory components.

Side note, I have a set of the Specter Werkes cradle bushings that I bought for my 05 and never installed...they will not work in the 06/07 like I have now. PM me if your interested.

----------

Midamracer2 -- Your PM box is saying full. Delete something and I will send my response.

love the 2 message limit initially...lol

#11 ·
I guess I really need to look into the bushings and those axles. I don't do it a lot but mine will ramp up so fast sometimes it just starts a bouncing. I know cheaper that the whole diff package but I really want the whole diff package and will eventually when it comes time.

BDV

#12 ·
I have revshift cradle bushings and 8.8. If I drop the clutch in 1st, I still get crazy wheel hop, wet or dry. But if I drop the clutch in second, its smooth as can be. I know my experience is different then some, but after I spent all that money to try to eliminate it, I was more the disappointed. But I have rear end that I trust.

#23 ·
I know wheel hop has been very well covered on these forums but I never found a thread that definitively answered my question. I grenaded my diff last night on my 04 presumably because it was so weak due to the continuous wheel hop. I'm looking at whipping out the pocketbook and just getting this wheel hop taken care of. So my question is will the CS 8.8 diff, revshift trailing arm bushings, and revshift cradle bushings completely take care of my wheel hop? I don't want to spend all that money and then find out the wheel hop is still present. Thanks in advance guys.
It's hard to guarantee that the above combination of parts will 100% solve your wheel hop problem. As said before, at the very least it will reduce the hop to a level that you won't brake the 8.8. With all the mix and match of parts available, tire choices, types of pavement used from one road to another, weather conditions, etc., it's difficult to pinpoint what solves wheel hop in one car and what solves it in another.
What I can say... no one has broken an 8.8, Creative Steel sells cradle bushings that the cradle doesn't dig in to, we rent a tool that removes the OEM bushings from the cradle (which is a lot less than fun to do without the tool) that doesn't require removing the cradle from the car to perform the swap. AND, we sell trailing arm bushings.

Sorry that your diff blew-up dude. Big Suck !! It's never a good time for this kind of crap, both from a time AND money standpoint.

Another cool thing about an 8.8 though... That "Black Cloud of Doubt" that hangs over your head during a burn-out just blooows awayyyy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.