Creative Steel Rear Toe rod group buy! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Creative Steel Rear Toe rod group buy! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; HAHAHA!!!! I did that yrs ago using BMR tie rods. Made my life so much better but i did not ...
    Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Creative Steel Rear Toe rod group buy!

HAHAHA!!!!

I did that yrs ago using BMR tie rods. Made my life so much better but i did not have the nut near the ends for there is no need to have too many lock nuts to loosen as i drive...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69163769@N07/12628508453/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6916376...n/photostream/

CSTech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV

HAHAHA !!!!

How did you connect/secure the Rod Ends to tubes?
    Jordan @ Creative Steel Inc.

503-316-1811
    Open M-F 8:00-5:00 PST
    Jordan@creative-steel.com

Check us out at: http://www.creative-steel.com
    We're on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Creat...39612609499435

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CSTech View Post
    HAHAHA !!!!

How did you connect/secure the Rod Ends to tubes?
    by his photos it looks like they might have been welded but it's hard to tell.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I had them threaded in then welded them on.

Had to be careful not to overheat the bearing

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    I had them threaded in then welded them on.

Had to be careful not to overheat the bearing
    That's a perfectly fine for the guys that have a cut-off wheel on a grinder when it's time for new rod ends. I have tacked lots of stuff that is for my own use instead of bolting it. A nut is the same as a weld in a lot of cases, just needs a different kind of "wrench" to take it back apart.

We chose to use a jam nut to make it easy to replace to rod ends for "John Q. Public"
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Friday!

blackax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

@CS
    Are both sides of the heim joint going to have alignment spacer's? And are both heim joints right hand thread?

And good heim joints last a long time. Just look at off-road trucks they use them for main suspension link's all the time and they deal with much more crap then your or my V will ever see.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

I've had reasonably good luck running heims on the street but living in the South means I don't deal with salted/sanded roads much either. Or, did I just get lucky?

Fuzzys experience with the BMRs make me second guess this. Couldn't you get a lightweight rubber sheeting and zip-tie some sort of protective boot around the joints?

Quote Originally Posted by blackax View Post
    @CS
    Are both sides of the heim joint going to have alignment spacer's? And are both heim joints right hand thread?

And good heim joints last a long time. Just look at off-road trucks they use them for main suspension link's all the time and they deal with much more crap then your or my V will ever see.
    No one ever said these would not last a long time. Just that Max and creative steel opted to go the route of being able to change the joints if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    I've had reasonably good luck running heims on the street but living in the South means I don't deal with salted/sanded roads much either. Or, did I just get lucky?

Fuzzys experience with the BMRs make me second guess this. Couldn't you get a lightweight rubber sheeting and zip-tie some sort of protective boot around the joints?
    And I'm sure you could, and if you lived in the north I would highly advise it. But the road conditions and salt wear on car parts at an alarming rate. for a car in the south I would expect them to last 10x longer. If you don't believe that just go try and find 90's cars on the road in each area and tell me where there is more, and which ones are in better shape. So I expect to run these for a five year minimum with no problem. To expect suspension components to last that long is impressive enough. I expect no problems with these. And even if problems arise it's not like you have to replace the whole thing, just the joints. Which would be easy and cheap enough IMO.

I was working on cars when you were pooping diapers so you don't need to preach to me about what happens to cars that live up north.

Heims are just like anything else, there's good, there's bad. If I had a set of heims on a car and "they were on the way out" after 8 months, I'd be pissed about it because I would rightfully assume they came from China. If I buy these and they and they have enough play to make them no better than the OEM stuff that they replaced with in a year, I'll be pissed about it.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I was working on cars when you were pooping diapers so you don't need to preach to me about what happens to cars that live up north.

Heims are just like anything else, there's good, there's bad. If I had a set of heims on a car and "they were on the way out" after 8 months, I'd be pissed about it because I would rightfully assume they came from China. If I buy these and they and they have enough play to make them no better than the OEM stuff that they replaced with in a year, I'll be pissed about it.
    While I agree that you should be pissed, the failure mode of what I'm going to call a "half Heim joint" is fundamental to its design, not its place of manufacture.

When you place a ball joint that has 1/3 of its rotating surface exposed to the elements 10" off the ground, that ball joint is going to get fouled and seize really quickly. While most people imagine sand and fine-grained FOD getting in there (and it does), many times, the liquid slurry of crap coming off the road does the real damage.

Anyway, this is why almost no car manufacturers use Heim joints in their suspension products. But there are a couple of aftermarket shops that do it right, as shown below:

Quality of joints? Totally disagree with you fuzzy.

Been using heims for years and typically the cheaper ones, usually manufactured in china, have a relatively short life soan. you get what you pay for.

Congrats on being old!? And I was not trying to preach at you, but take it how you will.

Also, here ya go: http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

With all this talk that is what i will plan on running on mine, just for the added insurance. I will find out from Max which ones we will need, and since they're in six packs you are welcome to my two extras for free!

Edit: oh, as well with finding out who manufactures the joints Max's is using, to answer your question if they're Chinese or not. In all honesty I don;t want Chinese either.

The only congrats I need are for still being alive.

Also try and encourage max to add the sealsit as an option.

To the top!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.