MAF questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, MAF questions in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I have been talking with another new forum member and we are wanting to tinker with things and trying ...
    BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

MAF questions

So I have been talking with another new forum member and we are wanting to tinker with things and trying to work out the kinks on some initial plans for an CAI change and the MAF seems to be somewhat of an issue. Wanting to go to a bigger 4 inch tube through out and not have to worry about cutting down airflow throughout the system. I have been looking into the thought of the LS3/LS7 style maf placed in a certain location of the tube for easier access and positioning and also cutting down on the amount of tubing to be used for space and clearance issues that might arise. My question is after looking at the connectors for our ls6 maf and those previously listed maf's are they the same style plug? Is it really as easy as plugging it in and tuning to the new sensor?

Please enlighten me a bit so I can switch gears or go back to the drawing board.

BDV

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

Re: MAF questions

what are your final expected results with this? just curious

Really not a clue. If it shows that it increases air flow then that is great. In my mind it is something that combined with other pieces like a cam or heads or headers or other things that will alter flow characteristics would add great benefit and grow the changes exponentially than by just doing those mods. I know most everybody will say that it is a waste of time and wont help that much on a stock motor but thinking beyond that is the basis. Also, it is kind of the thing to do now that Football season is over and I can focus on things like that more! Got to fill the void somehow.

BDV

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I think the connectors are the same. But you will need to rescale your computer to read the new maf properly. Otherwise with a larger tube the air velocity will go down and the computer will be like "Oh shit no air yo!!! Where are we?"... Which could lean you out considerably.

So it will need a tune but you probably figured that anyways.

I had already thought about that and have been reading many side posts on other forums like LS1 Tech and others about it and changing maf's out on different cars. I knew the tuning side was going to be the bigger part of the fine tuning and actually making it work the way that it should, however to get to that part first had to even know if the connectors would work or if there was an adapter or something. I just figured it would be something to tinker with and would maybe add the benefit of looking cool under the hood! hehe

And if it showed no positive gains or had reverse effects then I would know and could stop kicking the idea around in my head. I know most of us on this forum have the Tim the Toolman Taylor way of thinking with "why not mod it if it is working perfectly fine" and give it more power so......

BDV

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Pretty sure you have to repin and get the ls3 connector, I did on my Ls2 for a ls3 MAF

Quote Originally Posted by tommy compton View Post
    Pretty sure you have to repin and get the ls3 connector, I did on my Ls2 for a ls3 MAF
    How was that and was it hard to do? Also could you tell a difference in the flow or how it worked? Was it better or worse anything you can share would be great!

BDV

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

It's not hard, I think racetronix or caspers electronics should have the connector for cheap. There is also pics of pinouts for the various mafs floating around on google images. I went the ls3 maf and 4" tubing for a blower set up, so I can't say what benifit it will be for a stockish set up.
    Repinning is always a better option than cuting a splicing wires IMHO

Thanks Tommy for your input on it. It helps knowing if I decide to go that route it can be done. Now it just comes down to the tuning side of it. Now just need to decide if the tubing can even be done to give an option to go to the different MAF. Might just stay with the LS6 one but I just don't know how it will shake down. Thanks for some input guys and if there is anymore out there I sure will take it.

BDV

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

The LS6 MAF is completely different. There is not enough resolution in the P59 controller MAF tables to use the LS3/7 MAF unless you really know how to tune and use it only for the upper Hz ranges.

Also, the P59 PCM is hard limited by its 512 gram/cyl airmass maximum. Even if you did need the LS7 MAF to get below the maximum 12k Hz you'd be at the PCM limits anyhow, so you'd have to scale the tune to get around all the limitations...which is a PITA.

If you don't actually need the LS7, save the money and the PITA.

Thanks DMM for some straightforward honest advice. I am not a tuner nor a computer aficionado to say the least. I never even though about the limits of the factory ecm either. This is why I come to the forum. I wouldn't want to change that much and i know the ls6 maf will hold up to like 550 horse and i am nowhere near that yet or plan to be all that soon. Just looking for options to see if this plan will work.

BDV

Interesting information. I am curious on the gains from the inlet size upgrade. On a stock displacement Ls6 I dont believe more is better, well for the price point. A good CAI and a ported TB and a 92/102 intake with a tune wouldn't be cost effective to me. I personally would up my displacement and/or head flow, followed by a bigger intake like 92 or 102 ported and a throttle body. Heck if you get to a bad enough setup you might be switching from MAF to SD.
    I could be totally wrong here though ...

My plan is to wait and do mods in a group to save time and money and wasted money on tunes.

But BDV if you decide to do anything I would still read follow the progress

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    The LS6 MAF is completely different. There is not enough resolution in the P59 controller MAF tables to use the LS3/7 MAF unless you really know how to tune and use it only for the upper Hz ranges.

Also, the P59 PCM is hard limited by its 512 gram/sec airmass maximum. Even if you did need the LS7 MAF to get below the maximum 12k Hz you'd be at the PCM limits anyhow, so you'd have to scale the tune to get around all the limitations...which is a PITA.

If you don't actually need the LS7, save the money and the PITA.
    Can you summarize the LS2 CTS-V PCM's strengths/weaknesses in the same way?

Becker,

My plan has been always evolving with new info along the last year or so. I will be doing a cam at some point followed up by porting the heads and changing those up. I will be doing the high flow cat mod this summer so I will see how much that changes anything. I agree with you on the tuning cost part but any of the big mods would be done in time with the others to save on those costs. I am still really digging going the modified ls6 intake with the 90 snout. For the money I think it would be worth it. Only time and what money I can get going forward is the main factor.

BDV

For sure bdv. I've had a couple cars that I've put money and mods into and I've finally realized for myself that best way to go on the caddy is drive train before performance. I have enough power to break my car stock it seems which scares me on a DD. This is off topic though

I commend outside thinking I just was curious on what gains would be made on upgrading the intake to the extent of re wiring a MAF and tuning.

Sounds like our cars are right around the same as a project for the next few years. I'm jealous of the veterans on here that throw a bunch of time/money/creativeness into there V. I'm just not there, yet!
    BigDaddy-V likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.