Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Custom Hurst Shifter Review - 07CTSV \ PISNUOFF \ Brian

48K views 188 replies 10 participants last post by  Caddy corey 
#1 ·
Here we go. I will be using this thread to follow the install and before/after reviews of this newer shifter option for our V1's. With a few other guys already providing feedback on the 54inches shifters, I got in contact with Brian (PISNUOFF/07CTS-V) about properly modifying the Hurst 3916030 for our cars. I can't say enough about his work and he went above and beyond to get me this thing during the holidays. Even if the USPS decided to deliver it a few days later than expected lol.

What I was looking for:
-Replaceable stalk: Shorter one for DD work, able to swap out to a longer one for track days/auto-x. Not that it is a huge deal to some, but I prefer to not have to reach off the wheel a longer distance than I have to during aggressive driving. We will see how this works in the long run, but it makes sense in my head so far (can't guarantee that is always successful)
-Upgraded pivot ball
-Improved connection/bushings at the linkage
-Rebuildable and easily serviceable
-That classic Hurst knob/stalk combo.

What I am starting with for a baseline:
2005 CTS-V - Completely Stock Shifter - Creative Steel Bushings - 9k miles on a new Trans Mount (No Insert yet). This is by far the tightest shifting stock V I have driven...but I swear the ZF6 in my F250 had a shorter throw.

The goods - you can see the Delrin bushings in the linkage connection as well as the bolt "wings" machined off in order to use the stock stamped hold down. Hardware to replace the rivets you will drill out during the install. Hurst supplied grease for pivots etc. (ignore the bronze isolator cup as its being saved for later)

Closeup of the inside of the pivot. You can see the snap ring inside. Once that is removed you can press the base off and rebuild the guts if you ever needed to.

Sleeve machined and pressed onto the base in order to properly fit the stock stamped hold down. You can also see the new bushings for where the shifter attaches to the linkage. No shimming with washers.

Will update tomorrow with pictures of the install and before/after initial reviews.

See less See more
#6 ·
That's cool, but it sounds like you might run up against tolerances in GM's manufacturing process if you make a lot of these. You might run into a cup/hold down that's too small or too large. If that time ever comes, it might be necessary to put the cup/hold down in the oven prior to fitment, like you do with crank pulleys.

G
#7 ·
No. I'll just make them slightly small. They are sandwiched in place by the bolts, I designed it this way so there would be no chance of it being loose inside the cup after the bolts are tightened. The sleeve is machined to take up most of the slack and get it close to being centered.

#8 ·
In and done. The throw is GREATLY reduced. My ******* engineering to measure the before/after and make a real percentage out if it barely made sense to me so I will spare you all. Just know that the entire ball stays well within the shift boot surround and it makes the cigarette lighter actually useable with a phone charger in place. Best mod I have done so far.

Install notes: the new sleeve that Brian makes to fit inside the stock hold down cup fits VERY snug. Grease it to ease installation. We had to actually bolt it down to our workbench to get it seated all the way. As thin as the stamped metal hold down is, I would be hesitant to use a press of a hammer to tap it into place.

Going to drive it around and report back but so far the fit and finish is great and the install is smooth. With 2 people we had it all swapped out in an hour and a half taking time to take pics and whatnot.

Puttin Robbie to work

Old Vs. New: Note the nylon pivot ball on the stock one. This attributes to a lot of the slop in the stock shifters.

Crappy plastic "bearing" where it attached to the linkage under the car

Putting it all back together

Fin

Vid

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
My experience,the stock shifter noise increased when I installed the RevShift bushing,trans insert, and motor mounts.All done at the same time, so I cant say it is one over the other. I have not addressed the stock shifter, it could be all the lower bushings on the shifter assembly causing the vibration issues. I have a feeling there is a lot of slop down there like everything else that I replaced from stock.

#20 ·
I would be interested to hear feedback from some of the other people that bought this shifter when it comes to the noise issue. I am very tolerable of the noises that come from the addition of harder mounts/bushings etc throughout a car because the vehicles I have built or am used to working on, so my definition of noise might be different from someone else's. I just understand that firmer bushings and mounts are going to increase the small vibrations and noise transmission in most applications and not every person grasps that concept.

#21 ·
I just got finished installing the RevShift trans mount insert and additional noise transmission through the shifter is marginal at best. Like before I had to turn the AC and radio off to hear any real difference. Road noise cancels it all out like before once you get up to city speeds. I think if I took the time to put the car back up in the air and place the small piece of Dynamat where Hurst says to it would deaden most if not all of any added noise.

As for the shifting, nothing was drastically different after the insert but I attribute most of that to relatively new engine and trans mounts so my driveline alignment was probably not off like most may see with worn mounts.

#23 ·
I have UMI motor mounts, the revshift trans block and creative steel shifter bushings. and I get no additional noise through my Hurst shifter. But when i did mine i used electrical tape to space out the Hurst shifter cup to the stock stamped metal piece. I wonder if you guys are getting vibration there. I wonder if a little RTV there during install would help that?

G
#25 ·
$275 covers the shifter with a white ball knob, the modifications and shipping. There are several hurst knobs you can buy or any other knob with a 3/8-16 thread. I can make an adapter if you have a knob with different threads.

#26 · (Edited)
Just installed it on Saturday. So far I like it. It does take extra effort to get it in gear, but its positive and very short (coming from a stock 06). A helper is a must and find a friend with the smallest hands if you don't want to drop the exhaust and DS. took me about 2.5 hours and that included a trip to the store for a new drill bit. at some point I will try and loosen up the bolt on the bottom of the stick to see if that doesn't make it a bit easier to slip in gear but I think it just takes a little getting used to. The kit was good and I had no problems. I replaced the bushings with some from creative steel. I should also mention that it has zero extra noise while driving, it is louder when putting it into gear, an nice "ca-chunck" sound but quiet once in gear. I did not use the dynamat but did use the rubber gasket between the bolts that mount the stick.

#27 · (Edited)
I wouldn't loosen the bolts underneath. You will get used to the extra effort. The cup just holds the ball down so loosening those fasteners won't make much of a difference in the effort needed to row through the gears it will just make it feel like the stock one with blown out business. I love how mine feels. The stock one was terrible. The Hurst was a huge difference... I didn't ever get the modified stock shifter though. You'll get used to it. If anything, try a heavier knob. The extra inertia makes it easier to get it into gear.

G
#28 · (Edited)
I have modified 15 Hurst shifters thus far for the V with 15 ecstatic recipients. It's time to post a thread offering them.

The benefits of the Hurst short throw (45% reduction) shifter are:

1. It is a FULL replacement shifter. So if your stock nylon pivot ball and/or your nylon bushings in the base are creating side to side or up and down play, this will eliminate ALL of that. The only play that will be left in your system is what is created by the linkage at the transmission end.

2. A Teflon coated spherical bushing designed for this type of application is used in place of the stock nylon pivot ball and nylon housing setup. This bushing does not require as service during it's entire life cycle. This means that no periodic greasing is needed, install and forget about it. The spherical pivot bushing is also replaceable if it ever wears.

3. The bushings in the base are a completely new design. Using four years of shifter experience, I designed a new set of bushings to fit tighter, last longer and eliminate ALL of the play.

4. The Hurst kit comes with two stalks. The first one is the classic Hurst style exposed chrome stalk. This can be used with the white ball knob that is included or any of the other multiple Hurst knobs available. The second supplied stalk is designed for use with the stock gen5 Camaro or G8 knob. The stock V boot does not adapt to the Camaro or G8 knobs, however, I have developed a method to modify the second stalk to accept the stock V knob. I will have to ask that you send me your stock shifter after you swap it out for the modified 2nd stalk. I can also adapt any threads you desire to the top of the second modified stalk. Just ask, I can do it all.

5. The kit includes dynamat and rubber vibration isolation pieces. The dynamat is included if you you experience noise transmitted through your Hurst shifter. Of the hiders I have modified and shipped, I have not had any comments as to excessive noise from their shifters and I don't think anyone has used the Dynamat. The supplied rubber isolators go between the bottom portion and the upper stalk that the knob attaches to. This creates a barrier so the noise and vibration doesn't travel into the cabin.

6. The stalk is easily changed out. If you get bored with the exposed chrome stalk and white knob simply unbolt the two bolts and swap it out. This is all done through the center console.

7. The bottom of the shifter is raised an additional 3/16" from my modified stock shifter. This means there shouldn't be even a remote chance I hitting the driveshaft with any aftermarket trans mount, motor mounts or driveshaft combination.

8. The kit can be ordered with the black knob or the white knob. I will keep the white knob kits in stock and it should be less than a week for me to order a black knob kit, make the modifications and ship it to you.

9. Satisfaction guaranteed. As with my other shifters, I offer a lifetime guarantee. If you aren't completely satisfied I will work my best to make it right, up to and including full money back.

The standard cost is $275 shipped to your door. This includes the entire shifter kit, modification of the shifter to fit he V and shipping. Payment is preferred through Paypal, my address is br_1868@hotmail.com. If you would like the secondary stalk modified to accept the stock V knob I only require that you send me your stock shifter after you swap it out. I try to keep these in stock but if I run out the wait time will be less than a week.

A picture of the supplied kit.

Picture after installation.

A short video courtesy of Ryridesmotox.

G
#30 ·
No competition. These are not two suspension bushings welded to a shaft. I won't say any more on the subject, please don't jack this thread and clutter it up with comparisons as this is an ordering thread by an approved vendor on this sight. Buy one of each, if you like the other one better, I'll refund 100% of your money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.