Intake Replumb
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Intake Replumb in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; For fathers dayI finally took off the squeeze pipe. Came out pretty good. I just had to trim the elbow. ...
    lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Intake Replumb

For fathers dayI finally took off the squeeze pipe. Came out pretty good. I just had to trim the elbow. Also installed the HPS pads.. Hopefully less dust..

Alu pipe came from Burns Stainless.

http://www.stealthwork.com/

All silicone parts made by OBX racing

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Re: Intake Replumb

It looks very neat. Where did you get the throttle body elbow?

EDIT: Didn't see you included that info.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

That looks very familiar.

HDMLNIUM is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V SOLD /// 2009 CTS-V own

Looks great, my next mod...:coolgleam

Bill

05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
    3M Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers, Lasstss Billet interior pieces
    B&B Headers-high flow cats-and 3" resonator exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, UUC shifter, Full BMR...
    Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Here's mine.

willsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

They all look like the FFV to Me!!
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Quote Originally Posted by JOEYCTS-V
    It looks very neat. Where did you get the throttle body elbow?

EDIT: Didn't see you included that info.
    Na, I added it rather than adding another post. I had 2 elbows, one was rubber like CVP33 has, its a smoother transition. The one I used is reinforced silicone but its a hard 90, gives a little more room. Still better than the divided squeeze pipe.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Divided squeeze pipe, lol. Can't go wrong with polished stainless.

Rey
    Rey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The exterior of the metal tubing picks up a lot of heat. Polishing, in addition to looking nice, does reflect some of that heat. I haven't measured the inside air temp, but I did measure the exterior of my unpolished aluminum tubing. It was running 125-135 degrees as measured with an hand-held infared thermometer. This was about the same temp as the throttle body (with the water connectin detached). Then, I wrapped the tubing with simple and cheap pipe insulation "tape". This reduced the outer wall temp of the tubing to 90 degrees.
    Another thought is that the path of the intake makes it a secondary radiator shroud, the primary being the fan shrouds themselves. I am thinking that some sort of simple heat shield between the fan shrouds and the intake tube would be helpful. Alternatively, perhaps some small extenders on the fan shrouds might work.
    I suspect that these Gen III motors are oversensitive to intake air temps because I suspect that GM is very aggressive in retarding ignition as intake air temps rise - like retarding the ignition well before knock sensors are activated.
    It would be an interesting experiment to see what effect icing the intake manifold would have on a dyno run. It is simple to do, just dump a bag of ice onto the top of the intake manifold and wait five minutes for a cool down.

I have read a lot of that stuff. The pipe is 9" long. The 'residence' time of the air thru that pipe is negligeable. The heat given off by 'skin effect' is also small. If it were a tank holding compressed air and we were cooking it for an hour it might be an issue. Pulling air from around the nose of the car is more of a problem than materials. With the hood closed all parts normalize to the surrounding temp.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Martin,

What did you do about the factory airbox and filter? Leave those the same?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by trukk
    Martin,

What did you do about the factory airbox and filter? Leave those the same?

-Chris
    I did but I do have the K&N. As I now have about 3500 mi on my 04 it doesent get much use. K&N's are a pain for a daily driver.. IMO..

The after market peices surly add some horsepower but Im waiting to get a system that gets out of the engine compartment. I may fool with it after the mag install.

Rey
    Rey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

While I agree with Lasstss that the residence time of air passing through the metal tubing is negligible, in real city driving where there is stop and go, heat soak will be a big factor in intake air temperature. I did some simple testing using digital thermometers attached to the outside of the grill and the inside of the stock plastic intake just at the airbox. Generally, I found about a 20 degree temp differential; but when the car sat for as short as five minutes the differential soared. I saw as much as a 75 degree differential. Once driving again, the heat differential decreased, but it took more than five miles of highway driving for the differential to stabilize to 20 degrees.
    Just covering the stock intake with mylar home dryer ducting as a heat shield brought the differential down to about 8 degrees; and the heat soak differential was more in the range of 40-50 degrees.
    All this doesn't make much difference on a long trip/road race or on a dyno run. But it does make a material difference in city driving.

willsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

if your city driving you won't need the extra 5hp your loosing due to heat soak! Right!

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

What size pipes/elbows do I need to order to replace everything from TB to MAF?

I just ordered the Lingenfelter K&N filter to put into my More Performance heat shield. I want to replace the ugly, constrictive factory "squeeze pipe" as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.