Honest Opinions Needed on the Maggie
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Honest Opinions Needed on the Maggie in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; OK guys, I was originally going to look for a set of 19s to put on the V. But I've ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Honest Opinions Needed on the Maggie

OK guys, I was originally going to look for a set of 19s to put on the V. But I've got new tires already. So I don't want to waste that money. Plus, riding alongside DansCTSV last night, the V looked so good with just the B&B added.

So I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with the $4G+ I was going to put in to wheels. I've looked at DTE, MTI, More Performance and I don't know if I want to stay NA and get a 75-90hp gain for the $5G it would cost over the bolt-ons(CAI, headers, catback, tune). Obviously everyone is screaming to themselves, their computers, spouses or dogs: "GET THE DAMN MAGNACHARGER!!" But some hesitations have I.

I want to keep this car for as long into the future I can see. I don't want to compromise longevity for fun right now. It will eventually be a garage queen in 2-3 years and I'm keeping all the original parts I replace and would like to keep everything original. I'd hate to be doing rebuilds anytime soon.

I'm concerned about longevity because I will be tracking the car. And I'm concerned about even the best S/C systems on the track sustaining high RPMs for much longer than a drag car or occasional street racer would. Heat and stress on a stock internal, high compression motor gets me a little uneasy.

I also have brand new 245 width street tires and 2 sets of race rubber that are also 245 width. Is 550hp going to be too much for even race tires to handle, within reason, on the track. As much as we may hate to admit it, there are situations where you can have too much hp for what you're trying to do. I don't have the cash to get wider rims, tires AND a Maggie.

So I need very honest pros and cons into POSSIBLY investing in a Maggie. It wasn't even on my radar until seeing Dan's beautiful V up close, at speed, with stock wheels. Then the doormen at the Four Seasons were gushing at a guests E55 this morning. So that ate at me. Then there's the thought of surprising my buddy, turboSHO, at Indy next month with a much lighter and much more powerful beast.

But again, I don't want to plunk down over $5G and not be %100 ecstatic with the decision. So again, please, very honest answers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Honest Opinions Needed on the Maggie

Nothing? Lie to me, then.

dannystang is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Umm...

DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!! ???

Edit: I would probably be concerned about going say 140+ for extended period of time with that blower...

Dont they get hot?

Then again, its no fun unless something explodes.

DILLIGAF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune

Jim,I felt the same way you did for 6 months.Then I jumped,as I've said before though,I don't drive long distances very often.Longevity?If the rotors need rebuilt every 30,000 miles=O well.I recently purchased a custom tune from stealthV and made me like the car even more.I really like these cars,but for me the maggie is a must do,I would do it again in a heartbeat.I wouldn't go back!

Gordy Petrovski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

21cmc finished my car 2 weeks agoe & I could not believe I waited this long to do it. I think if U are that concerned about your cars longevity than keep it stock but if U want to look like this every daythan pull the trigger man U will not regret it.Good luck

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

BigJim -

Define tracking the car, in your terms, so I may answer to the best of my knowledge (or just do it).

WW

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Weakest link in the LS6 is the pistons as they were not designed with forced induction nor nitrous in mind as the ring lands are very small in addition to not being a forged piston. Nothing else scares me, not the bottom end, not the tranny, etc.

As you said, in 'spirited' street driving, and drag strips... run reasonable boost and no worries.

But for road race track usage... it's just a matter of time... tick-tock.

Question is... how many track event do plan on doing between now and the time the car becomes a garage queen? 1-2 a year? or 5-10 a year. 1-2 a year... no worries... once a month, foggetaboutit. A H/C is a better setup if you're tracking the car that often.

Tires? Power oversteer is a problem with the STOCK motor on the 245s... exiting fast 3rd gear turns (tight ones or sweepers)...the rear comes around on me if i'm not really on the ball... the car will be a handful with +100hp!

Remember Dreamin, throttle control is key

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

We gotta get you onto a road course WW!

When you've been 6" off the bumper of a 911 all the way around the track... finding a way around him is the most ADDICTIVE thing you'll experience...you have one goal, nothing else matters... at that point, self-control, throttle-control, good-judgement... it all goes out the window.

As of this year, I'll be looking at maybe 4-5 sessions per year. I haven't as of yet in '05 because I've changed my mind often about the tire/wheel situation in both street and race form. Once I get wheels for the race rubber, I'm in business.

My SHO was S/C and had issues from go. Obviously, the Magnacharger is different and specially engineered for the V, whereas my Powerdyne was a custom job that was copied from others. But I'm not much of a wrencher and I certainly do not have the time to spend time repairing any issues. I wouldn't want to spend my weekends replacing pistons and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    We gotta get you onto a road course WW!

When you've been 6" off the bumper of a 911 all the way around the track... finding a way around him is the most ADDICTIVE thing you'll experience...you have one goal, nothing else matters... at that point, self-control, throttle-control, good-judgement... it all goes out the window.
    You're right, Dreamin. I have hopes to make at least one track event this summer...hopes

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I never considered any mod I have done as an investment.

What happens if you wreck or it gets stolen?

Enjoy life.

You will always regret not doing it, and even more so if you have ever had the chance to drive a maggied V.

jlakowicz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Get the Maggie. It only makes power when needed, so its no strain on the engine in mormal driving. Before the Maggie I didn't like how high I was always reving the engine, now its always at low rpm around town. I also did a MP cam, the car sounds awsome without being annoying in any way, unless you prefer the sound of a Honda or Nissan. The car runs no hotter with the Maggie as far as I can tell.

BigJim -

I'm not an expert - and I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night - but I wouldn't hesitate putting the Maggie on given your descriptiong of events.

Basically, the way I see it, the driver is responsible for modulating power - regardless of how much there is. Sure, it might make the V more difficult to drive. That's a given. But it also might make life more difficult on the rest of the cars at the track - and isn't that part of the reason to go in the first place

Throttle response, notably with the stock Magnuson tune, is very much like stock. The power is very smooth and comes on low enough that you'll not be surprised by it in a turn, or at least I don't think you would.

Besides...the rest of the time (even when she is a garage queen) the maggie just makes so much sense

Thanks for the responses guys. I really am not sure what I'm going to finally do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.