Cadillac Owners Forum banner
9K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  Koooop 
#1 ·
This shifter is awesome! Huge difference in throw, I feel like I have to barely move the shifter to grab the next gear. The shifting is now unbelievably crisp too. I would really love to compare it to the UUC shifter, considering that the B&M shifter is far less in price. Maybe at the next meet I'll get a chance. Only negatives so far is that there is some gear noise transmitted during hard acceleration and it requires a bit more force to shift, but both issues are very minor. If I had exhaust I probably would have never even noticed the noise.

#5 ·
jimbo1320 said:
barak,

Any problem getting the shifter knob off?
When I removed my shifter knob, I followed the UUC destructions which said grasp firmly and pull straight up. Expecting a great deal of resistance, I gave the ol' knob a healthy pull. It came off so easy I almost hit the ceiling with the knob. The console/boot trim piece came right off with it as well so I was able to skip that step. :)

Pull straight up. It doesn't require much force; it'll pop right off. After removing it, you'll wonder what has kept it in place up to now. ;)

Jerry, search this forum for B&M* and you'll find several posts with the part number. :cheers:

#7 ·
pictures, prices?, part#?
please post....
Like to see some pics and installation instructions. Can everything be done from the top or do you need to get under the car too?
I was hoping you guys wouldn't ask these questions. Here's the story, my friend designs the short throw shifters for B&M and he gave me a call a few weeks ago. It was the first time I talked to him since I got the V. I asked him if B&M made a shifter for the V and he said yeah, you want one, after calling me an SOB for getting such an awesome car. I said hell yes I do, and he asked what year the V was and I said 05. He said perfect, we need to confirm that our shifter fits on the 05. So we made an appointment to install the shifter at my work and take all kinds of pictures with detailed instructions so I could submit them to Reed. Later I found out that the day of the appointment may not work for me so I called to tell him that I may have to reschedule. He said not to worry and that he was bringing someone to install it anyhow. So the day comes along and it was super busy day and I was out of the office all day long. So when I finally did get back to the office at nearly 7PM, I got back to find that my V now has a bitchin' short throw shifter. It's nice having good friends and I wish I could have at least met the man that did the installation, because he did a great job.

Now to answer some questions. Part#: 45067. Price: case of beer, or about $215 from Summit; I saw another post for $260 at Advance Auto. The stick is made from weighted 303 stainless steel. The base is made from 6061-T6 aluminum. It comes with a million mile warranty.

From eyewitness accounts and B&M's instructions, you only need to get under the car to remove the nut from the shoulder bolt. The exhaust or driveshaft doesn't have to be removed.

#8 ·
Barak said:
I was hoping you guys wouldn't ask these questions. Here's the story, my friend designs the short throw shifters for B&M and he gave me a call a few weeks ago. It was the first time I talked to him since I got the V. I asked him if B&M made a shifter for the V and he said yeah, you want one, after calling me an SOB for getting such an awesome car. I said hell yes I do, and he asked what year the V was and I said 05. He said perfect, we need to confirm that our shifter fits on the 05. So we made an appointment to install the shifter at my work and take all kinds of pictures with detailed instructions so I could submit them to Reed. Later I found out that the day of the appointment may not work for me so I called to tell him that I may have to reschedule. He said not to worry and that he was bringing someone to install it anyhow. So the day comes along and it was super busy day and I was out of the office all day long. So when I finally did get back to the office at nearly 7PM, I got back to find that my V now has a bitchin' short throw shifter. It's nice having good friends and I wish I could have at least met the man that did the installation, because he did a great job.

Now to answer some questions. Part#: 45067. Price: case of beer, or about $215 from Summit; I saw another post for $260 at Advance Auto. The stick is made from weighted 303 stainless steel. The base is made from 6061-T6 aluminum. It comes with a million mile warranty.

From eyewitness accounts and B&M's instructions, you only need to get under the car to remove the nut from the shoulder bolt. The exhaust or driveshaft doesn't have to be removed.
I guarantee you there is more to it than that... The stick is not removeable unless you drill out the rivits and there is no way they replaced the entire shifter assembly for $215.00. I have removed it twice. Sounds like they are supplying a stick and bearing mount to attach to the stock shifter frame???

#9 ·
I guarantee you there is more to it than that... The stick is not removeable unless you drill out the rivits and there is no way they replaced the entire shifter assembly for $215.00. I have removed it twice. Sounds like they are supplying a stick and bearing mount to attach to the stock shifter frame???
I'm not familiar with the other short throw shifters but go to the B&M website and check out the shifter. http://www.bmracing.com/media/catalog/3.pdf. Look at page 2 of the catalog, part number 45067 and you can see exactly what you get for $215. I do know that they had to drill out the rivets to install the new assembly. So I'm not sure what you mean by the entire shifter assembly, but what I do know is that the shifter feels amazing and I didn't pay a penny for it, but if I had to spend $215 or more for it, I gladly would.

#10 ·
Barak said:
I'm not familiar with the other short throw shifters but go to the B&M website and check out the shifter. http://www.bmracing.com/media/catalog/3.pdf. Look at page 2 of the catalog, part number 45067 and you can see exactly what you get for $215. I do know that they had to drill out the rivets to install the new assembly. So I'm not sure what you mean by the entire shifter assembly, but what I do know is that the shifter feels amazing and I didn't pay a penny for it, but if I had to spend $215 or more for it, I gladly would.
Looks good, cant beat it for the money. I just dont like a direct coupled stick.
They did do something smart. They built their own socket housing and raised the ball position hence the short shift. This kept the link below from getting close to the drive shaft. Installaton wise its the same as the UUC unit.

#14 · (Edited)
Now take the B&M base and put in the UUC shifter....hmm.....
I'll let my friend know your suggestion, I'll see what he thinks.

Sorry I just had to add this, I just noticed in your signature Stealth that you're running Bosch Platinum 4's. In my experience with those, they have got to be the worst plugs on the market. Obviously you don't have the same opinion of them as I do, but I'm curious to how they're working out for you.

#16 ·
Barak said:
Bosch Platinum 4's
In my experience, most performance issues post plug swap can be traced to other problems with the secondary ignition system such as a bad plug wire. All it takes is a post on something like LS1Tech.com to the effect "My car now runs like crap after plug swap..." and everyone is on the Bosch hate wagon even though the root cause may have been a plug wire damaged during the plug swap.

My V makes more power and runs smoother since installation of the +4s. Some more miles will tell the long term story; but as of today, I have absolutely no reason to pull them out. NGK TR-series and other traditional "internet preferred" plugs are certainly a good option when changing plugs.

Sometimes it is good to think differently than others; otherwise we'd all be driving identical cars and that would be boring. :cheers:

Back on topic - the B&M shifter is definitely a cost effective alternative and it will interesting to hear some more feedback. Even though I already have a UUC, I'm still curious to see how well the B&M is accepted by my fellow V owners.

#17 ·
Sounds like a pretty nice choice for the money, the more options we have the better off we are...:thumbsup:

Bill

05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
3M Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers, Lasstss Billet interior pieces
Westers, B&B Headers-high flow cats-and 3" resonator exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, UUC shifter, Full BMR
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

#19 ·
In my experience, most performance issues post plug swap can be traced to other problems with the secondary ignition system such as a bad plug wire. All it takes is a post on something like LS1Tech.com to the effect "My car now runs like crap after plug swap..." and everyone is on the Bosch hate wagon even though the root cause may have been a plug wire damaged during the plug swap.

My V makes more power and runs smoother since installation of the +4s.
I've used Bosch +4's years ago on a number of vehicles, even German vehicles and found them to be less than satisfactory. So I'm not speaking from what I heard someone on LS1Tech say. I think part of the problem with the Bosch's is that one plug will cover 3 or more heat ranges. This may not be the case today, but it was like that in the past.

#20 ·
Agree, they don't not work well in some vehicles. One of THE GM tuner gurus in the country told me the +4 works extremely well with the LS6 combustion chamber design. It is sort of an experiment for me to see if it is true - the jury is still out and no complaints so far. If they don't work well in the long run, I'll pop in some NGKs or something.

Plugs are cheap and easy. One of us has to be the guinea pig. :cheers:

BTW, if anyone thinks changing plugs on a LS6 sucks, they obviously never owned a Gen II LT1. :)

#21 ·
Not to hijack here, but... I assume the stock plugs are Iridium? I've ran NGK's and Denso in my GTO and prefer the Denso's, but both are good plugs. The Denso's are way too expensive. I might have to try the +4's, sounds interesting.

#22 ·
What kind of gains from the Bosch did you notice? I am sure most of it is through the buttdyno but just curious.

#26 ·
So, back to the topic at hand, what is the difference between the B&M and UUC shifters? I am trying to make up my mind but I don't want to spend $400 on the UUC if the $215 B&M is just as good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.