sticky hp thread?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rand49er
  • 1 Post By DMM
  • 1 Post By s-cam
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, sticky hp thread? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I know all dynos are different. But I thought it might be nice to make a sticky where everyone ...
    253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

sticky hp thread?

So I know all dynos are different. But I thought it might be nice to make a sticky where everyone can post mods and numbers And maybe cost...? I know its probably not much use to most of the grizzled veterans here. But might be fun to see, and help out noobs that arent all that active figure out a general cost/performance hierarchy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: sticky hp thread?

Quote Originally Posted by 253ctsv View Post
    ... the grizzled veterans here ...
    PISNUOFF likes this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Those old folks in Michigan with clean vehicle under bodies? lol

InfrareV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Dynojet: 327/330(Factory)

Dynojet: 375/352(LSA Heads, Katech LS3 Torquer Camshaft, Fast 102 Intake, Dyno Tune) - $4,000

Dynojet: ?/?(Kooks Longtube Headers, Kooks High-Flow Cats, Crower SS Shaft Mount Rockers, NW 102MM Throttle Body, ATI Super Damper, DIY Carbon Fiber Intake, Dyno Tune) - $4,000

It could've been done for less, I paid for peace of mind in some areas. I had the brand new heads gone through and the valve seats recut, I also purchased LS3 valves instead of complete LSA heads and I used Titanium retainers. I also paid a premium for the Katech cam, most of there competitors would have been less but I respect there reputation. The shaft mount rockers are clearly overkill for my application.

I also have an overlay I made in MSPaint for the first two dynos.

Nice. Im 6k or so into mine. Trying to figure; build ls3 and fi down the road, or forge ls6 and fi. With 64k on my car I think I could get a decent price for my motor so it might be close to the same price to sell it and buy a tsp 418 as it would to rebuild my lower mile ls6. Or close enough to be worth the ls3. And build that for an eforce later on...

PISNUOFF Guest

Hp - Somewhere north of 500 N/A rwhp on a mustang dyno.

Mods - Low compression 427 LSX and every other mod you can think of......twice. Twins on the way, and maybe some juice.

Cost - One full left testicle and 1/2 of the right.

----------

Nice. Im 6k or so into mine. Trying to figure; build ls3 and fi down the road, or forge ls6 and fi. With 64k on my car I think I could get a decent price for my motor so it might be close to the same price to sell it and buy a tsp 418 as it would to rebuild my lower mile ls6. Or close enough to be worth the ls3. And build that for an eforce later on...
    DO NOT BUY A TSP 418 LS3 stroker. I got royally screwed on mine. Bores inconsistent, several piston to wall clearances up to .007", bores were out of round by .004", one sleeve cracked and the metal smeared because it was too thin on one side. They buy blemished (rejected by GM quality standards) blocks and bore them so 'they'll work', have their teenage children machine them and cross their fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Hp - Somewhere north of 500 N/A rwhp on a mustang dyno.

Mods - Low compression 427 LSX and every other mod you can think of......twice. Twins on the way, and maybe some juice.

Cost - One full left testicle and 1/2 of the right.

----------

DO NOT BUY A TSP 418 LS3 stroker. I got royally screwed on mine. Bores inconsistent, several piston to wall clearances up to .007", bores were out of round by .004", one sleeve cracked and the metal smeared because it was too thin on one side. They buy blemished (rejected by GM quality standards) blocks and bore them so 'they'll work', have their teenage children machine them and cross their fingers.
    Noted. Nice. Ive got 2 healthy balls maybe ill look into one of those setups lol

But on a serious note. Whos a good vendor to work with for a motor build?

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

But on a serious note. Whos a good vendor to work with for a motor build?
    Thompson Motorsports has an excellent rep and are very reasonable. I'd check them out:http://thompsonmotorsports.net/

This is the first I've heard about shitty engine work from TSP, although I can believe it. Their heads are questionable at best, no reason their other machine work would have issues. I think they've been cruising on a good name for too long.
    PISNUOFF likes this.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

I have a stock LS6 with a Stainless Works header back making some very emasculating numbers:

Something in the tune not optimized, weak motor - not breathing. I think the tuner loaded a 'race-safe' tune for the track on the rich side of fueling. He didn't have time to yank out 20 more HP because of connection issues with HPTuners. I was supposed to net somewhere around 365 HP but again, those are just numbers and the car runs fine until it's out of power around 4800 rpms and I see ricers fly past like I'm in reverse - right about the time their turbos spool up.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The fact that torque peaks around 4,800 rpm on your LS6 is typical, the rate of decline in the torque curve beyond that peak (which in turn is reflected in the horsepower curve) is not.

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    349hp/341tq with cai, magnaflow cat-back and nothing else(tune obviously). 05 V with 70k miles.

s-cam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post

My 418 lasted 100 miles and had 7 psi oil pressure at idle. Had the rebuild it. Stay away from tsp...
    PISNUOFF likes this.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Ls2, eforce, custom cam, ported lsa heads, fuel pump, BAP, kooks, corsa, a few other pieces roughly 650 up and 650 trq.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.