Hurst 3916030: Improved on by PISNUOFF
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Hurst 3916030: Improved on by PISNUOFF in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Here we go. I will be using this thread to follow the install and before/after reviews of this newer shifter ...
    StretchASU is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Hurst 3916030: Improved on by PISNUOFF

Here we go. I will be using this thread to follow the install and before/after reviews of this newer shifter option for our V1's. With a few other guys already providing feedback on the 54inches shifters, I got in contact with Brian (PISNUOFF/07CTS-V) about properly modifying the Hurst 3916030 for our cars. I can't say enough about his work and he went above and beyond to get me this thing during the holidays. Even if the USPS decided to deliver it a few days later than expected lol.

What I was looking for:
    -Replaceable stalk: Shorter one for DD work, able to swap out to a longer one for track days/auto-x. Not that it is a huge deal to some, but I prefer to not have to reach off the wheel a longer distance than I have to during aggressive driving. We will see how this works in the long run, but it makes sense in my head so far (can't guarantee that is always successful)
    -Upgraded pivot ball
    -Improved connection/bushings at the linkage
    -Rebuildable and easily serviceable
    -That classic Hurst knob/stalk combo.

What I am starting with for a baseline:
    2005 CTS-V - Completely Stock Shifter - Creative Steel Bushings - 9k miles on a new Trans Mount (No Insert yet). This is by far the tightest shifting stock V I have driven...but I swear the ZF6 in my F250 had a shorter throw.

The goods - you can see the Delrin bushings in the linkage connection as well as the bolt "wings" machined off in order to use the stock stamped hold down. Hardware to replace the rivets you will drill out during the install. Hurst supplied grease for pivots etc. (ignore the bronze isolator cup as its being saved for later)

Closeup of the inside of the pivot. You can see the snap ring inside. Once that is removed you can press the base off and rebuild the guts if you ever needed to.

Sleeve machined and pressed onto the base in order to properly fit the stock stamped hold down. You can also see the new bushings for where the shifter attaches to the linkage. No shimming with washers.

Will update tomorrow with pictures of the install and before/after initial reviews.
    54inches likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Hurst 3916030: Improved on by PISNUOFF

That guy does professional looking work. Hahahaha.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by StretchASU View Post
    Sleeve machined and pressed onto the base in order to properly fit the stock stamped hold down.
    Does that mean the machined sleeve fits inside the steel cup (the "hold down") that came with the car, minus the nylon junk?

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Does that mean the machined sleeve fits inside the steel cup (the "hold down") that came with the car, minus the nylon junk?
    Yes, inside the stock steel cup but eliminates all the nylon pivot ball and housing. It has a spherical bushing instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    That is correct. Rather than having a new tab cut and welded to the Hurst cup, the sleeve just allows it to slide firmly inside the stock stamped cup/hold down to secure the shifter to the linkage plate.
    PISNUOFF likes this.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

That's cool, but it sounds like you might run up against tolerances in GM's manufacturing process if you make a lot of these. You might run into a cup/hold down that's too small or too large. If that time ever comes, it might be necessary to put the cup/hold down in the oven prior to fitment, like you do with crank pulleys.

PISNUOFF Guest

No. I'll just make them slightly small. They are sandwiched in place by the bolts, I designed it this way so there would be no chance of it being loose inside the cup after the bolts are tightened. The sleeve is machined to take up most of the slack and get it close to being centered.
    Mn800r likes this.

In and done. The throw is GREATLY reduced. My redneck engineering to measure the before/after and make a real percentage out if it barely made sense to me so I will spare you all. Just know that the entire ball stays well within the shift boot surround and it makes the cigarette lighter actually useable with a phone charger in place. Best mod I have done so far.

Install notes: the new sleeve that Brian makes to fit inside the stock hold down cup fits VERY snug. Grease it to ease installation. We had to actually bolt it down to our workbench to get it seated all the way. As thin as the stamped metal hold down is, I would be hesitant to use a press of a hammer to tap it into place.

Going to drive it around and report back but so far the fit and finish is great and the install is smooth. With 2 people we had it all swapped out in an hour and a half taking time to take pics and whatnot.

Puttin Robbie to work

Old Vs. New: Note the nylon pivot ball on the stock one. This attributes to a lot of the slop in the stock shifters.

Crappy plastic "bearing" where it attached to the linkage under the car

Putting it all back together

Fin

Vid
    PISNUOFF likes this.

ctsv247 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

More alternatives!

Sneaky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cts-V

What do I have to do to get one of these, how much for pricing

philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

This is awesome. The V1 is falling into the hands of more gear-heads. Hurst shifter in a Cadillac...brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    What do I have to do to get one of these, how much for pricing
    Shoot a PM to "PISNUOFF"...he can fill you in on pricing, turnaround times, etc.

wiskey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Love how that looks! Need to get one!

PISNUOFF Guest

I charge $275 for a modified Hurst setup.

wiskey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

How is the Vibration/noise/rattle compared to the stocker?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.