differential girdle...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, differential girdle... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; First off, I'm tired of worrying about my rear end blowing up. I'm scared to power launch, burn out or ...
    Swoner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cts-V.

differential girdle...

First off, I'm tired of worrying about my rear end blowing up. I'm scared to power launch, burn out or anything that puts extra stress on the diff. I can't even race from a dead stop, have to be rolling. I DON'T want to worry anymore and unfortunately do not have the funds right now to buy a 8.8 kit.( more like trying to justify the $5k for the cs 8.8 kit to the wife)

Anyway, I've seen 2 other threads on LS1tech and one on here regarding a diff girdle. I believe one was made by TCperformance? Or a similar name. Problem is, I haven't read anything about how well it kept up with the abused that us V drivers tend to give the car on a daily basis.

So with that being said, had anyone heard any news about them? Positive/negative or anything?

I have a 3'x3' sheet of 3/16" steel (from bodydropping my silverado "sold and is very missed")and I might be welding one up IF its been proven to work, or at least in theory by a knowledgeable member on here.

I also am going to need a diff to use as a template since I daily drive my V.

Any suggestions? Advise? ..will be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Re: differential girdle...

I've thought of this as well but there are a lot of crafty people here. If it was really worth screwing with, someone would be doing it already IMHO.

You also need to consider that after you build a girdle that actually works, you'll still have to deal with the marginal driveshaft and stock axle wrap, both of which get attended to when doing an 8.8 swap.....

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

If you drive it like you are trying to break it, don't be surprised if it breaks.

The OEM diff housing is the weak link.

I'd like to try it just because I have the metal laying around and I've been welding for years. Shouldn't cost me anything except the nuts and bolts to bolt it all to the diff case. Im guessing it'll be better than nothing at all.

I don't drive the car as if I want to break it. I want to drive it like the 4 door sports car it was supposed to be. So holding the diff case with steel should help it from breaking apart. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoner View Post
    I don't drive the car as if I want to break it. I want to drive it like the 4 door sports car it was supposed to be.
    You sound just like the guy who used to brag about how many diffs he blew up.

See how many times you can match the advertised 0-60 before you trash something.

Definitely no bragging here. I have nothing to brag about lol. I don't care about 0-60 or 1/4 really. I just like to drive and have fun by myself. I just dont want to have to worry about blowing up the diff, that's all. That isn't so hard to ask for....

Anyways, dont worry about my driving style, this isn't what this thread is about.

Plus... no one who has a V drives it like a granny all the time. I'm sure you dont either, since you maggied it. Otherwise you wasted your money
    sgtdestruction and SSLT1KID like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    If you don't wheelhop, the diffs last forever. The V drives like the 4 door sports car it was supposed to be...

Even with hard launches? .. I put redshift 95A cradle bushings and diff bushings, got rid of the wheelhop. I also want to buy the 95A trail arm bushings since it will further help it. So I guess my diff will last (hopefully)

But will a girdle be worth making IF it cost me little to no money at all? I guess as a form of insurance for my diff

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    If you don't wheelhop, the diffs last forever. The V drives like the 4 door sports car it was supposed to be...
    Do a few clutch dumps while your at it.

You don't have to wheel hop it to blow it up.

So its safecto assume that no one knows if the girdle previously made worked or not? Nor if its worth making or not?

PISNUOFF Guest

Wow. This went sideways. I remember hearing of people breaking the diff with the girdles that were made. The diff casing breaks from overangulating the driveshaft and causing it to bind. A hard launch or wheelhop can cause it. You would think that the stiffer subframe polyurethane bushings would stop it but some have broken after installing them.

For reference, I haven't broken my stock 2007 diff casing and it certainly cannot be said that I drive it easy......ever. Upgrade your axles and get a 4th generation diff (if you don't have one) and let it eat from a dig.
    SSLT1KID likes this.

Finally! Thank you for the answer I was looking for. I know I have a newer diff but not sure if its a 2007 diff. How do I find out?

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I've never read or heard of the gearing itself being broken in any generation; it's always the housing. So, in theory reinforcing the housing with steel would work. However, I'm not sure a 4th gen (that hasn't been absolutely abused) has broken. You'll know what "gen" of diff you have by the serial number on the top. The fourth gen number is 25873498. It's the only gen that has a number that starts with a 2. So, if you can't read the number really well (since it's in a hard spot to read while in the car), but it starts with a 2, you're good.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

PISNUOFF Guest

I have a gear/gears broken in my 4th gen diff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.