Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; To keep from getting confused and to serve the searching public I figured I would piggyback my last thread and ...
    farsighted770 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Cts V

Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit

To keep from getting confused and to serve the searching public I figured I would piggyback my last thread and start one for this specefic setup as I looked and couldn't find all the answers.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nd-shocks.html

Okay so did more digging on the d2 setup and it looks like it could be done as a full coilover kit... Some questions then.

1.) what length springs to run front and rear... I'm seeing 8" and 7" in some threads I've searched here and tech. I want it lowered but I'm not lookin to drag frame as this is a daily.

2.) what diameter? I've seen 2.25" and 2.5"... I don't wanna mess this up since I am going to use the perch for the rears to be setup as a true four corner coilover.

3.) spring rate... Looks like a 700f/400r lb/inch setup is gonna be spot on for daily driving spirited backroading and the rare Trackday based on research here... I'd love confirmation that I'm right in that answer.

4.) extras and concerns - so from reading I know I need to get a set of nuts and bolts for the rear shock mounts; beyond that do I need anything? Isolators, bushings, inserts? I've read on here about load leveling and nivomat setups, to that end I just need this to work and not cause me issue.

5.) bore and stroke - on motorcycle suspension the chassis is most stable during cornering when the shocks/forks are in the middle of their rate of travel... To that end is there anything I should consider with these when setting it up so that they perform optimally and last as long as possible while not sacrificing comfort.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Fuzzy's thread was pretty good about the spring rates needed and stuff. I'm pretty sure there was one here and elsewhere. Is the car your daily driver?

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Fuzzy's thread was pretty good about the spring rates needed and stuff. I'm pretty sure there was one here and elsewhere. Is the car your daily driver?
    Yes, his thread about suspension tuning based on the kws. My car is so much more pleasurable to drive after tuning the suspension

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit

Take the kit you have and measure the front springs. Those will be the diameter of the rear springs. Also, take your front springs and set them up on the rear shocks to determine length. Just a quick visual will answer this question as it will be easy to see if you need a longer, shorter, or the spring you have is good. You should do the shock mount while you are there, fuzzy did a group buy earlier with them so check for that. And yes the 700/400 combo is a good starting point for a true coilover set up.

Thanks for the help. I have searched a million threads here. I don't recall cuz ya. I'll look some more.

I was hoping this thread could be a one stop shop for answers. With all the searching I've done, some of which to no avail, I gotta imagine I won't be the only one for these questions.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by farsighted770 View Post
    To keep from getting confused and to serve the searching public I figured I would piggyback my last thread and start one for this specefic setup as I looked and couldn't find all the answers.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nd-shocks.html

Okay so did more digging on the d2 setup and it looks like it could be done as a full coilover kit... Some questions then.

1.) what length springs to run front and rear... I'm seeing 8" and 7" in some threads I've searched here and tech. I want it lowered but I'm not lookin to drag frame as this is a daily. Fronts can be up to 10" long and as short as 8" this will simply depend on what spring rate and how much height adjust ability you want. Rears need to be 8" if you want to set them up as a true coil over

2.) what diameter? I've seen 2.25" and 2.5"... I don't wanna mess this up since I am going to use the perch for the rears to be setup as a true four corner coilover. 2.5"

3.) spring rate... Looks like a 700f/400r lb/inch setup is gonna be spot on for daily driving spirited backroading and the rare Trackday based on research here... I'd love confirmation that I'm right in that answer. 700/400 will be pretty aggressive. Depending on application 650/375 or 600/350 may be better.

4.) extras and concerns - so from reading I know I need to get a set of nuts and bolts for the rear shock mounts; beyond that do I need anything? Isolators, bushings, inserts? I've read on here about load leveling and nivomat setups, to that end I just need this to work and not cause me issue.

5.) bore and stroke - on motorcycle suspension the chassis is most stable during cornering when the shocks/forks are in the middle of their rate of travel... To that end is there anything I should consider with these when setting it up so that they perform optimally and last as long as possible while not sacrificing comfort. Obviously you want to ensure you have both adequate up and down travel when stationary. but this would dictated by your spring length selection

Thanks!
    see above

this forum is awesome, i REALLY APPRECIATE all the answers and the help here. you guys rock! i'll post up pics as i do the install...

PS 898 SHIPPED
    http://www.redline360.com/d2-racing-...-cts-v-D-CA-01

Alright so think I've got it all figured out. Got the math down and when I get the springs and thrust plates ill just have to tinker with my dampening and should be golden... Now. Last question...

WHILE I'M IN THERE:

A very expensive sentence... What else should I do? I saw the rear shock mount thread but didn't see where to do that group buy or even purchase outright... Also is there a shock mount or insert for the front I should do at the same time? I already have hotchkis sways and with the car lowered on GC's there's no problem with deflection I see. But again, while I'm in there is there anything else I should do or purchase?

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    Banski motorsports has the rear mount you're looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    Banski motorsports has the rear mount you're looking for!
    Awesome. Are those the spherical ones?

I've seen your post on the ls1tech board too. They've been helpful thanks!

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

The D2s come with spherical RSMs however they use rubber instead of of the delrin used by Banksi.

let us know how this goes! pictures and all, spring sizes etc!

The math of it has me at 672 lb/in F and 336 lb/in R that would set me up at 94 cpm(1.566 hz) and 96 cpm (1.6 hz) so then we'd be at -3% rear bias effectively.

I will say this will be the flattest tracking car I've ever built I usually only concentrate on drag racing and if anything I've always preferred oversteer since well it's fun! This whole suspension tuning and frequency and rate of motion and leverage functions is all very new but after reading fuzzys thread and a lot of his source material it is making sense to me and has me thrilled to hit the twistys in this car and not on my motorcycle for a change

----------

Fwiw here is how the car sits now and I would love to keep this stance.

I'm in a trial and error mindset right now with spring lengths I know 8" for the rear and that will give me center to high side of the springs travel, but for the front I don't know. Looks like maybe 9"??? I'll have to look and see or hope someone here can chime In.

So those pics are with the d2's installed?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    No, that's Ground Controls and T2 shocks. Man, that V looks great...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.