Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Nevermind couldn't make it work. And as far as the t2 question nevermind, one of the fronts had and all ...
    farsighted770 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Cts V

Re: Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit

Nevermind couldn't make it work. And as far as the t2 question nevermind, one of the fronts had and all leak so it's done :-/

FYI to anyone considering the d2 kit the fronts suck to setup if you try to depart from stock configuration I ended up caving and using their top spring mounts with the thrust sheets and insert and all that. I'll post pics in a lil bit.

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I plan on copying you on this build. Glad you are paving the way!

Well let me get some seat time for the reviews.

Doin the fronts, obviously lift the car and put it on jackstands, be safe, then take off the wheel, remove the 18mm bolts on the strut mount, don't forget the one I'm pointing to, it's at a weird angle.

Pull the 18 mm bolt holding the rodend to the spindle( I bounced the Lower a arm a bit to loosen it and support it as it came down

There's two 13mm bolts securing the bottom of the shock, undo those and again mind the tension, I used a lever to pull the lower a arm and finagle the whole shock and upper a-arm and shock mount dealy

Off the car, gonna pull the nut off and yank the whole thing outta the shock mount.

Assemble the new coilover, despite my best attempts I ended up just following directions just swapping out my swift springs and using the thrust sheets I purchased. One VERY IMPORTANT thing to note is getting the measurements down, I tensioned but didn't preload the spring and measured the distance from the collar to the threaded strut body to the proper length to get the ride height I want.

And that's it. Put it together in reverse order. Hope this helps!

Update. "Took apart" the rear to adjust ride height there and noticed that with the winter grime from the crappy weather we've had here in STL that the threads on the strut body got a lil gunked up so before adjusting the lock collar I took a wire brush and cleaned those out and then coated them with some red grease, made it way easier to move and if they get dirty the grease will make them easier to clean and reapply than just letting it make concrete in there.

So helpful hint grease em up good before you assemble.

Otherwise it rides well. Definitely stiffer. I backed em off to 12 clicks from hard too to soften the ride some. Got my alignment tomorrow so after that I'll just need my new slotted rotors and ceramic pads and this car will be done with the mechanical upgrades.

Next project is to replace the worn buttons on the radio and see if somewhere there's a way to disable the DVD "moving lockout", oh and see if I can't find fitted all weather mats.

fweasel is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by farsighted770 View Post
    oh and see if I can't find fitted all weather mats.
    I've contacted Weather Tech several times asking if they would measure my V and make a set of the liners since they're local, but no response. I just ordered a set of the "Rubber Tite" mats from Auto Pride with their free shipping deal. Best I could find that wasn't a cut to fit winter mat.

SevillianSTS is offline Banned

I've played videos for passengers and I have noticed how one would easily become distracted by trying to look at it too; be careful.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dvdmotion.html

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    I've played videos for passengers and I have noticed how one would easily become distracted by trying to look at it too; be careful.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dvdmotion.html
    That's awesome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I've contacted Weather Tech several times asking if they would measure my V and make a set of the liners since they're local, but no response. I just ordered a set of the "Rubber Tite" mats from Auto Pride with their free shipping deal. Best I could find that wasn't a cut to fit winter mat.
    Yeah I sent them a request for the digital fit ones, no response. I have a set for my TT g8 gt and love em.

This place makes some nice mats:

http://lloydmats.com/?page_id=370

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    This place makes some nice mats:

http://lloydmats.com/?page_id=370
    Yep.

I have Lloyd's but I hate getting them dirty so they are summer use only. I also need two of those clippy holder things for the floor

Quote Originally Posted by farsighted770 View Post
    I have Lloyd's but I hate getting them dirty so they are summer use only. I also need two of those clippy holder things for the floor
    Know what you mean. I almost wanted to ask people to take their shoes off before they get in when I had the Luxe mats in my STS.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    It's so weird seeing those pics and hearing about my old mods.

So did you find my redneck fix on that driver side lower control arm? Well, you had to...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    It's so weird seeing those pics and hearing about my old mods.

So did you find my redneck fix on that driver side lower control arm? Well, you had to...
    The drilled bolt? That was nothing... Anything else James must have beat me to it.

Quick review, I'm 12 clicks off hard and I love the way the car handles. Alignment fought me something fierce with the really heavy spring rate up front. But a come-a-long persuaded it. If it falls out i'll resort to a softer spring.

the fronts are very low, I recommend rolling the fenders of you do go so low. I had a mishap but some heat and persistence cured it. Still learn from me. Beyond that it was everything I could do to set the struts on the control arms without taking more shit apart. If I have another go of it I'll pull the sway bar end links and steering linkage to get more clearance. Hindsight.

As far as ride it's firm but planted, it's predictable with no rocking and positive actuation over potholes or bumps and such. Before the alignment the back wanted to step out on semi-spirited motoring, but with it not being aligned I wasn't gonna push it too far. Now that it is setup it just feels planted. On straight line it's almost completely cured my wheel hop and on cloverleafs it maintains it's line and pulls 1g+ without twitching or acting in any way unsettled.

It's worth mentioning I just put a set of new tires on it, continental dws' and they emit a lil noise at that range but nowhere near unpredictable or slick.

All and all I'd say this swap, while being a fair amount of work, has been a success. If I do tweak the height or respring it I'll post up what that involves.

Any questions, comments concerns whatever post em up.

Oh and ps SLOW99 your inbox is full I tried replying to your pm clear it and I'll answer your question. Thanks!

slow99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Sorry man, I cleared my inbox. Didn't realize I only got 2 PMs since I only lurk over here!

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

So, is handles nice? Have you done any weight reduction to the car? Clutch exhaust etc? I have been doing as much weight reduction as I can and I track my car so I'm thinking your spring choices will be ideal for me as well. Are you planning on corner balancing it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.