Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by farsighted770 That's too much work. I was hoping for a more convenient answer... Try again. Buy two ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Suspension help!!! D2 coilover kit

Quote Originally Posted by farsighted770 View Post
    That's too much work. I was hoping for a more convenient answer... Try again.
    Buy two of each:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J2KFZ0/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CA2JS8/

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by farsighted770 View Post

Wanna buy a car?
    Don't say that now. Ask me next year...

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

keep us updated! I'm waiting the results of the suspension! Those ball joints Fuzzy posted are the way to go.

farsighted770 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 Cts V

and so it begins...

just putting up the rear now, weather is crap and the heater isn't helping enough so I only spent a few hours out at a time, and I've reached the end of my motivation. HA!

I started by taking the rear struts/springs apart, since I am doing it as a true 4 corner coilover I took the perch setup out of the equation.

I backed out the bolt on the bottom of the strut for a little extra clearance then a little bit of prybar on the control arm helped yank the spring out, just a little finagling got her outta the way.

Then there is only a 14 mm nut and bolt to remove the ground control top mount, the bottom pulls out cleanly with a gentle tap up.

It was an extra few minutes to figure out the order and the preload and what not but after I got my head outta my butt it was pretty straight forward. you'll see the body is threaded so i took off the base and the lock from the perch setup that came with the kit and just threaded them on, i purchased separately thrust sheets for the springs so as to avoid any kind of bind, and when i tightened those i did it it to snug and 1 turn... just to keep the spring from rattling... d2 calls for no preload on the spring itself, but I didn't want it loose either (CLUNK), and for the sake of NVH I cleaned then used the OEM spring isolator for the top, this wasn't in the directions but to me, from an engineering standpoint, it just made sense... there will be no deflection as its all on the same axis and it mounts flush, and the distance it takes wont be cause for any concern with the travel of the strut or the overall height of the vehicle beyond what the kit is intended for... if you wanna drag frame skip the isolator... then again if you wanna drag frame this probably isn't the car for you.

I'd say old ones were kinda blown...

New ones built and measured... pretty

Installed (not set to ride height yet)

(cool look at the ss lines (THANKS JIM))

As far as the ride height I'm gaining on it, little at a time, I've got it down after a few times my measurement from the base of the shock body to the top of the perch for the springs ended at 1-5/16" and its got it pretty close... Really I think where you measure from is just academic so long as you pick the same place and repeat till you get your final desired ride height, and keep in mind there will be some settling, and you need to leave room for the suspension to actually work, allow some travel in both directions.

I'll spend more time on the height and the impressions when the whole kit is done, but from the 5 minute cruise I went for its a whole nother animal, already more planted, not harsh but positive feel, I'm 9 clicks from full hard and its not rough at all.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

With the stiffness you are in the rear I consider closer to 6 clicks from full hard.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    With the stiffness you are in the rear I consider closer to 6 clicks from full hard.
    Cool, i appreciate the advice, I'm very new to suspension tuning so when I have the whole thing done I'll experiment a lot probably, lol. One thing i reviewed before purchase(for fear of it being harsh is) that they wouldnt be half as stiff as the LG's or the KW's in race form, i gathered this info according to fuzzy's math and using the calculators myself to figure static frequency/latency of the final setup... my springs in the rear only come to about 336 in./lbs. and with my fronts at 672 in./lbs it should make for 1.566hz up front and about a 1.6hz in the rear. which would be about "hotrod sedan" territory.

This My gal dailies the car so I want it manageable on the streets.

^edit(after i checked some math)

If you're running a spring rate that is roughly equivalent to my 672/896 KW Variant 3 setup, you will want to drastically reduce shock compression dampening (you may approach the minimum settings, depending on the diameter of the D2 shock valving) and increase rebound dampening by at least 25% in the back and 50% in the front. Focus on controlling the expansion of the springs such that they allow the rear to "catch up" with the front after passing over a bump, and holding the nose of the car down following hard braking to keep your weight transferred over the front wheels. That will avoid nausea-inducing nose dive and make the car turn in sharper, respectively.

Remember that compression dampening settings are additive with your spring rates. Shock compression dampening only affects short-term transients like bumps. When subjected to longer-lasting loads associated with cornering, braking, and accelerating, the load forces shock oil to bleed past the valves. Therefore, your car needs adequate spring rate (which responds to all inputs, regardless of frequency or duration) to provide support (roll/pitch resistance).

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

D2 shocks are not independently adjustable compression and rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    D2 shocks are not independently adjustable compression and rebound.
    Thanks. I was in a rush and forgot. In that case, you have to make a decision between having an overly harsh ride (too much compression dampening based on spring rate + high compression/rebound setting) or a bouncy/uncontrolled ride (too little rebound dampening based on spring rate + low compression/rebound setting).

Either way, what you're about to experience is indicative of why single adjustable shocks are not much better than non-adjustable shocks. Yes, you can tweak the behavior of the suspension slightly, but the design is really not amenable to changes on spring rate (especially drastic ones like this).

Does that top mount come apart on the T2s?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Thanks. I was in a rush and forgot. In that case, you have to make a decision between having an overly harsh ride (too much compression dampening based on spring rate + high compression/rebound setting) or a bouncy/uncontrolled ride (too little rebound dampening based on spring rate + low compression/rebound setting).

Either way, what you're about to experience is indicative of why single adjustable shocks are not much better than non-adjustable shocks. Yes, you can tweak the behavior of the suspension slightly, but the design is really not amenable to changes on spring rate (especially drastic ones like this).
    My journey is just beginning then. I plan on doing the front setup tomorrow so that will be the beginning of my "tuning"... I will say throughout my whole research phase I came to the conclusion that I was gonna be involved with a battle of compromises.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Does that top mount come apart on the T2s?
    Which part are you referring to? The rear struts and mount are sitting in the trash, the fronts I haven't tackled yet.

----------

Are the kw's true coilover, or are they using the separate mounts in the rear looks the ground controls?

The KW's are not a true coilover. They use the rear mounts, like the Ground Control setup.

The T2 used a hardened rubber mount that made it the quietest shock I had in there...

James your Pm's are full! I was gonna send you this:
    Do you remember by chance the mileage you were at when you put these t2 fronts on? The fronts are still in decent condition so I'm thinking when I sell the gc kit I'll sell them with it.

Also curious did that top metal collar come with the gc kit or is it oem?

Either way I don't like the top mounts for this d2 setup so I'm using them. Just curious

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.