steering rack failure - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, steering rack failure in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was looking all over for the power steering pump pulley bolt - like an hour. Thought I lost it ...
    philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: steering rack failure

I was looking all over for the power steering pump pulley bolt - like an hour. Thought I lost it then started looking at pics - there is no bolt, pressed fit. I bag and tag everything so I was losing my mind. My replacement rack finally arrived and I installed it along with coolant hoses, power steering pump etc.

Once it get my front wheels on - ATI Superdamper and pinning kit. Then put jackstands on the rear and install those Swift springs. I got parts all over the place right now.

Regarding the Geforce, wow! Sounds like they dropped the ball. FWIW Creative Steel shipped the 8.8" fast and 100% complete - perfect fitment.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    Regarding the Geforce, wow! Sounds like they dropped the ball. FWIW Creative Steel shipped the 8.8" fast and 100% complete - perfect fitment.
    Seems like they've had issues with this before. The amazing thing, from my perspective, is that they don't just try to spin these by hand before shipping them out. I'll probably put more details on your other thread.

Philistine, did you convert anything over to AN-style fittings, and if so, what did you pick? Last night, one of my power steering hoses basically blew itself in half. Right where I occasionally drip power steering fluid on it.

After doing more research today, I will be upgrading the hoses and potentially installing an orifice to reduce flow by about 25%. As I figure stuff out, I'll update this post with the parts list.

Power Steering Pump
    - AC Delco 21997867 - $141.79 at RockAuto (reman), $123 on Amazon (reman), $145 on eBay (new)

- OR -

I came across the following CarCraft article, identifying that the stock GM pump requires 8 HP and the Tuff Stuff pump only requires 5 HP, reducing heat injected into the power steering fluid. 3 HP of losses = 2237 watts of heat. I left a message for their staff, and will let you know which pump we should use.

I also want to talk to KRC one last time.

Power steering pressure hose
    - Gates 365684 with 16mm swivel o-ring (Type III) and 18mm male o-ring x 61 3/4" - $39 at RockAuto, $35 on eBay

Adjustable Flow Valve

Heidt's PS-101 (two 3/8" NPT feed, two 1/4" NPT return) - $89 on Summit Racing

- OR -

Detroit Speed 091401 16mm O-ring flow control valve - $26 from Summit Racing

It may also be possible to retrofit the stock system with AN parts, but you'll need 16mm o-ring to 6AN (Earl's 361-9919DFJ) and 18mm o-ring to 10AN (Earl's 361-9919FFK) fittings for the rack. You'll also need Viton o-rings, msot likely. The following is from an old Corvette rack, not the CTS-V:

You'll also need a 16mm x 1.5 o-ring to 6AN adapter for the pump. There's plenty of options...the Russell 648060 (aluminum), the Fragola 491971-BL (aluminum), the Aeroquip FBM2608 (steel), and the Earl's 919955 (aluminum).

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

good info...thanks fuzzy

For the brake hose, you'll want something that is rated significantly higher than the pump will be producing to prevent explosions under transients. I'm going to use 6 foot lengths of 2500 PSI PTFE Russell PowerFlex power steering hose. Russell 632610 (6AN) and 632720 (10AN), respectively.

Earl's also sells some maximum strength stainless steel fittings with their Endura coatings for corrosion resistance. They're expensive and somewhat garish-looking, but in this application, it might be worth it. Power steering pumps run at 1250-1750 PSI, which may obliterate lesser hose and fittings. Here's the list. At the very least, you'll probably want two 620401 (6AN) and 620501 (10AN). If you plan on using that variable flow valve, you'll also need four of each, plus two PRE-60676E (6AN to 1/4" NPT) and PRE-61016E (10AN to 3/8" NPT) nickel-plated steel adapters.

The decision between Earl's Temp-A-Cure 81900AERL (19 row) and Derale's 51610 (16 Row) 10000 series coolers will probably come down to price. I like the extra-long dimensions, build quality, and bracket on the Earl's part, but once you add the cost of the 10AN to ORB-10 fittings and 1508ERL bracket, you're out $230 instead of $135 for the Derale and its 50020 bracket kit.

For reference, the Fluidyne FHP-10029 measures 18 x 9 x 1" (LxHxW) and the Derale 13103 7000 Series measures 16.625 x 7.625 x 0.75".

The Earl's 81900AERL is black and measures 15.25 x 5.875 x 2.0". The Derale 51610 1000 Series measures 13.0 x 6.6875 x 2.0".

Ok you really did your homework here with fittings. I do have a spare rack, power steering pump, and high pressure hose.

I purchased a replacement hose from Rockauto: Edelmann 92291
    The power steering pump, brand new: ACDelco 21997867
    The new power steering cooler: Derale 13103 Series 7000
    The hose clamps: EAR-900110ERL

The Edelmann replacement hose does not fit exactly like OEM - it's a little off in some places but the metal end fits well enough up to the pump. The hose clamps I had left over from a previous project so I used those on the Derale cooler - dress it up a little.

I have the luxury of being able to fit just about anything with the entire 'old' system sitting in a box - including those inner/outer tie rods that you mentioned Banski might need/want for measurements. I definitely think it's worth the effort of building some more robust lines. I can only imagine how many crud covered weeping power steering lines are out there. The high pressure hose fits end to end with threaded fittings. The low pressure hoses do not seem to be a problem - or is it?

Believe it or not but that is as best it fits in there - there is your Edelmann fitment, bleh.

You know, I admit that I simply don't get that Edelmann hose. How hard is it to build one correctly? Also, another question: what's its purpose? I mean, what's the point of the rubber section?

Philistine, if you see any problems with the parts I mentioned, please let me know. That's all I can ask. It's not fun driving the car at low speed without power steering, but it has taught me how much better high speed driving can feel. The car feels amazingly stable, even with a tenth of a degree of toe out.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    You know, I admit that I simply don't get that Edelmann hose. How hard is it to build one correctly? Also, another question: what's its purpose? I mean, what's the point of the rubber section?
    I'm guessing but it could serve as an expansion joint to protect the pump, rack or both - it is high pressure

Philistine, if you see any problems with the parts I mentioned, please let me know. That's all I can ask. It's not fun driving the car at low speed without power steering, but it has taught me how much better high speed driving can feel. The car feels amazingly stable, even with a tenth of a degree of toe out.
    I'll definitely give it a closer look.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.