steering rack failure - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, steering rack failure in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by ctsv247 I agree with this in normal spirited street operation. While I love it's parking lot manners, ...
    philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: steering rack failure

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    I agree with this in normal spirited street operation. While I love it's parking lot manners, fast sweeping on-ramps require a lighter touch than I'm Accustomed to after owing various f-body cars.

I wonder if a slightly larger pump pulley would slow the assist down without overly compromising low speed handling characteristics and pump capacity issues faced on the track?
    I think Turn One steering has done this with the V2. They lowered the pressure so there is more driver feedback. I find the Cadillac relaxing to drive with the luxury effortless steering. With the mods I have, there is enough feedback to enjoy spirited driving - not nearly the same with my roadster though.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    According to one of the experts, the stock power steering pump was not intended to run above 5000-5500 RPM. It's okay for sporadic use at high RPM, but that's about it. Extended high RPM usage (i.e. track conditions) will eventually destroy it.
    So if you could slow the pump down by say 10% or so, could you effectively raise its range of operation on the track while maybe increasing its steering effort just a bit?

I know it could never be that simple.

So if you could slow the pump down by say 10% or so, could you effectively raise its range of operation on the track while maybe increasing its steering effort just a bit? I know it could never be that simple.
    More steering effort by reducing the pressure is exactly what was discussed when I called Turn One. However, they have more experience with the V2 than the V1.

As is GM tradition, is the v1 style pump used on other GM platforms?

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

So if you could slow the pump down by say 10% or so, could you effectively raise its range of operation on the track while maybe increasing its steering effort just a bit?

I know it could never be that simple.
    It will not increase its maximum operating RPM. The diameter of the impeller largely determines whether or not cavitation will occur at a given RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    It will not increase its maximum operating RPM. The diameter of the impeller largely determines whether or not cavitation will occur at a given RPM.
    So changing the given rpm won't effect the cavitation occurrence for a fixed impeller diameter? If the only fixed component in this equation is impeller diameter, changing one variable (rpm) should change the other variable (cavitation).

So changing the given rpm won't effect the cavitation occurrence for a fixed impeller diameter? If the only fixed component in this equation is impeller diameter, changing one variable (rpm) should change the other variable (cavitation).
    You are correct. What I was trying to say was that installing a different sized orfice on the output of the pump will not change its rotational speed (driven by the serpentine belt). Therefore, its cavitation speed will be unaffected.

What are your thoughts on changing pulley size?

As a relative novice to the v I'm just getting familiar with the platform so I don't know if there's room for such a change or how common this particular pump is.

What are your thoughts on changing pulley size?

As a relative novice to the v I'm just getting familiar with the platform so I don't know if there's room for such a change or how common this particular pump is.
    The practical problem with trying to increase the maximum RPM by 50% by using a bigger pulley is that you'll end up having to muscle the car around the parking lot.

I agree with this in normal spirited street operation. While I love it's parking lot manners, fast sweeping on-ramps require a lighter touch than I'm Accustomed to after owing various f-body cars.

I wonder if a slightly larger pump pulley would slow the assist down without overly compromising low speed handling characteristics and pump capacity issues faced on the track?
    I might would trade a little parking lot prowess for a little less assist on high speed on-ramps....

I might would trade a little parking lot prowess for a little less assist on high speed on-ramps....
    That's where I feel like we're driving totally different cars. You must not have done any of the bushings, or your alignment is out of spec. The only time my V feels squirrely is when I'm braking down hard from 155-165 mph, and that's almost certainly because of my 0.08° of front toe out.

I've only had it for a couple of months and yes it is 100% bone stock Cadillac rubbery mush. My initial impression is that the steering is a little over assisted but as you're pointing out this could change. I have plans to do an 8.8 with all the bushings and mounts along with a possible Camaro 6060 swap sometime this year so my impressions could change once all that is Done.

After tons of research, I've found that You have done a lot of cool stuff with the v1 and I have a couple of quick questions for you. If you have the time can I pm you possibly?

Thanks for your interest!

I've only had it for a couple of months and yes it is 100% bone stock Cadillac rubbery mush. My initial impression is that the steering is a little over assisted but as you're pointing out this could change. I have plans to do an 8.8 with all the bushings and mounts along with a possible Camaro 6060 swap sometime this year so my impressions could change once all that is Done.

After tons of research, I've found that You have done a lot of cool stuff with the v1 and I have a couple of quick questions for you. If you have the time can I pm you possibly?

Thanks for your interest!
    Of course. And by the way, if you haven't done the subframe bushings, the rear end could be kicking out sideways on you during turns when the OEM rubber bushings squash flat. It was first mentioned by neversatisfied on LS1Tech, and the idea eventually gained a lot of traction via a lot of small threads here and there. I was initially skeptical, but did some testing at various speeds and cornering loads and came away convinced.

ok so the power steering pump pulley doesn't have a bolt - search is over!

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    ok so the power steering pump pulley doesn't have a bolt - search is over!
    Come again?

If you're looking for a little commiseration, my axles came in and Geforce screwed up the inner stubs. So I'm in for another several-week wait. At this point, I'm six weeks overdue to get this thing in the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.