steering rack failure - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, steering rack failure in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Pics or it didn't happen - lol! Actually not really laughing, that sucks....
    philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: steering rack failure

Pics or it didn't happen - lol! Actually not really laughing, that sucks.

StretchASU is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Before pulling the trigger on the Derale units be sure to check out these Griffin Universal Fluid Coolers. The smaller one is comparable in size to that Derale cooler with the fan and pulls 300 more CFM. I have used these coolers in the past in various applications from steering to transmission to diff coolers and they work great. Kind of pricy at around $345 for the small one, but the increased airflow from the fan and a fully tig welded gives some peace of mind.

Sucks about the wheel getting curbed.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a brand new one by ACDelco for 121.00, 2 day free shipping - Amazon Prime member
    So this is a brand new AC delco replacement part??

That's pretty cheap, let us know how it holds up. A rebuilt anything that has moving parts is a last resort for me so its nice to see its affordable.

Just like fuzzy did with the ad244 alternator upgrade, I wonder if there is an off the shelf GM pump that might offer a little more performance potential with little or no mods?

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    So this is a brand new AC delco replacement part??

That's pretty cheap, let us know how it holds up. A rebuilt anything that has moving parts is a last resort for me so its nice to see its affordable.

Just like fuzzy did with the ad244 alternator upgrade, I wonder if there is an off the shelf GM pump that might offer a little more performance potential with little or no mods?
    That's correct! I believe the price jumped up by $20. It is brand new and no core exchange. Similar to Fuzzy's washout with the holidays and getting car-stuff done - my rack parts are delayed anywhere from 2-4 weeks. February is a busy month for me so unless my luck changes, I won't have it put back together and driving until as late as March - busy travel schedule.

I'm looking at all these power steering cooler options and I believe this is where everyone kinda diverges - I'm leaning towards the Fluidyne DB 30216 Although I have the so called 'FHP-10029' purchased from ebay and ready to go, it is stamped Thermal Dynamics International and doesn't have that NASCAR look and feel to it. The lines have already popped off 2 cars from members here so I'm not going to use it for the power steering system. There are so many options for coolers out there and I'm not going to go with a massive x-section or complicated cooling fans or even temperature sensors and bypasses.

I believe the root cause of the overheating can be attributed to the design of the power steering pump and pulley. If you're not going to change those then change the cooler. I'm fabricating a mounting bracket for the smaller but heavier power steering pump cooler. When shopping for a cooler, you have to consider the plumbing and how it ties into the existing system.

If you look at Fuzzy for example, he has shelled out at least $100 in power steering coolers at present with plans for something more robust at the tune of $130-150. The total cost of that is easily over $200. So although the Fluidyne db 30216 is a bit expensive, it has a small cross-sectional area, built like a fortress, has the proper inlet/outlet diameters with minimal differential pressure and can more than handle the job of keeping the power steering oil cooler than the puny OEM unit.

Sorry to hear you'll be down so long.

What about the pump and pulley design do you not like?

Thanks for an informative read. Keep us posted.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

According to one of the experts, the stock power steering pump was not intended to run above 5000-5500 RPM. It's okay for sporadic use at high RPM, but that's about it. Extended high RPM usage (i.e. track conditions) will eventually destroy it via cavitation. That means that no matter how crazy you get with the cooler, the pump will eventually s**t the bed. Millions of tiny implosions at the trailing edge of the impeller's blades eventually add up.

The nicer Fluidyne cooler looks nice, but I don't think it's the best choice. It looks small, overbuilt, and over-expensive. Shock qualified, almost--the ends are built up as though they designed to cooler to be suspended by its fluid connections. The FHP-10029 is/was incredibly susceptible to fouling it uses 81 parallel, pinhole-sized tubes. Any normal cooler (e.g. 1/2" tube and fin, or stacked plate) will not have that problem. How many of the stock CTS-V coolers (1/2" tube and fin) leaked?

Anyway, my point is not that the DB 30216 won't work--rather that something like a Derale 13403 will provide better, equally reliable cooling at a better price, and that its inlet/outlets are clocked for a cleaner installation. Darkman's design is great for a N/A car, but you're going to need that area for an intercooler.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Anyway, my point is not that the DB 30216 won't work--rather that something like a Derale 13403 will provide better, equally reliable cooling at a better price, and that its inlet/outlets are clocked for a cleaner installation. Darkman's design is great for a N/A car, but you're going to need that area for an intercooler.
    I'm going to keep both of them in mind - haven't pulled the trigger yet. I guess what you are saying is rotating the Derale towards the oil connections for better fitment which avoids the use of elbows. I have to poke around under there and take some more measurements. Both the Fluidyne DB 30216 and Derale 13403 are comparable in pricing - $150-$200. That's about as far as I'd go for a cooler. This might be out of budget for others but when you have a steering rack failure...you upgrade/replace everything - /sigh.

For what it's worth, the Derale 13403 costs $139 on Amazon, and includes both -6AN and hose barb fittings, as well as a couple of feet of good hose and some s***ty ring clamps. If you don't want all of those accessories, you can get the Derale 51978 for $133. In both cases, you'll want the optional $20 Derale 50020 bracket kit, which will allow you to use the stock bracket/arm thing.

----------

Also, if budget is a concern, the Derale 9000 series should be fine (second highest in terms of Derale build quality and thermal efficiency--two levels above what I have installed). The 13 pass Derale 13612 is $81 and the 17 pass Derale 13613 is $84. Both of those designs have threaded inlets and outlets. Because both of those designs include a vertical mounting plate, it'll bolt right up.

For what it's worth, it's about 10 degrees outside and my steering has never felt better. Maybe it's just my brain faking me out after dealing with that Fluidyne, but it's been two days and it still feels a little lighter than I remember it.

CTSVLSX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I've been trying to find some ways to make the steering less 'easy' .. It's TOO easy to turn the wheel at high speed. I miss the variable steering resistance my STS has. It helps a lot during high speed cornering to make the wheel less sloppy.
    Was thinking about changing the pump/valves etc to make it harder to turn the wheel in general, that should suffice. Has anyone done anything like this?

Most aftermarket pumps come with (or offer as a separate purchase) various screw-in orfices to restrict flow and vary the degree of power assistance. It won't change the speed of the rack, though. If you feel that your car is hard to control at high speeds, or doesn't return to center as strongly as you'd like, you may want to look into increasing your caster angle via an alignment.

It's not hard to control at all, in fact it's too easy. I don't want the wheel to move so easily, i like wrestling the wheel around corners instead of being able to use one finger and do it now , LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CTSVLSX View Post
    It's not hard to control at all, in fact it's too easy. I don't want the wheel to move so easily, i like wrestling the wheel around corners instead of being able to use one finger and do it now , LOL
    Be careful. It sounds like you've learned to like understeer. A couple of years back, I had to systematically eradicate my bass-ackwards concepts of "good steering feel" and "bad steering feel" when I started improving the stock suspension and alignment settings. It's a good thing I trusted my times and the data more than my gut feel.

Well it's not the under or oversteer, it's the effort required in turning the wheel. Driving my friends M3 for example, the faster you go the harder it is to turn giving you more precision IMO. That thing handles like a boss too, mainly because of the weight (about 400-500lbs less).
    If you drive the STS you will see what I mean about the steering (with the variable effort steering). That's all I'm looking for really, i'd rather permanently have it in the high speed mode than have it being about to turn with one finger going around the track

Quote Originally Posted by CTSVLSX View Post
    I've been trying to find some ways to make the steering less 'easy' .. It's TOO easy to turn the wheel at high speed. I miss the variable steering resistance my STS has. It helps a lot during high speed cornering to make the wheel less sloppy.
    Was thinking about changing the pump/valves etc to make it harder to turn the wheel in general, that should suffice. Has anyone done anything like this?
    I agree with this in normal spirited street operation. While I love it's parking lot manners, fast sweeping on-ramps require a lighter touch than I'm Accustomed to after owing various f-body cars.

I wonder if a slightly larger pump pulley would slow the assist down without overly compromising low speed handling characteristics and pump capacity issues faced on the track?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.