steering rack failure - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, steering rack failure in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by jmargo I had a little damage on the lower bracket but it should be fine. So are ...
    philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: steering rack failure

Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    I had a little damage on the lower bracket but it should be fine. So are we not using the fluidyne now ?
    Darkman (no idea where he went) used a different cooler. Take a look in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1958019

It's pricey but if you want something more robust and nice AN fittings...this is the way to go.

Fluidyne DB 30216

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Just got an email back from Derale. Mike's response is in regards to my email, questioning whether their transmission coolers are suited to the rigors of power steering applications. Looks like we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike @ Derale
    There is no reason why you could not use either of those style coolers for power steering. We have a lot of our customers using them as such with great results.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Fuzzy, did you pull the trigger on the pump and cooler upgrades? I'm interested in seeing how it goes. I upgraded my cooler but to one with slip fittings - that alone makes me want to at least upgrade to a cooler with AN fittings + AN lines between the pump and cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by jclayc View Post
    Fuzzy, did you pull the trigger on the pump and cooler upgrades? I'm interested in seeing how it goes. I upgraded my cooler but to one with slip fittings - that alone makes me want to at least upgrade to a cooler with AN fittings + AN lines between the pump and cooler.
    Not yet. I've had the car up on blocks since Saturday but haven't worked on it yet. Holiday stuff, plus it's my birthday today. I've been hoping that 54inches new shifter arrives today or the 26th so that I don't have to put the car up twice in one week. Once the wheels are on the ground, I'll know if the power steering issue is fixed via hose clamps, or if I did permanent damage to the pump and need to replace the system.

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas! And thanks for all the great info you post.

Ditto, Merry X-mas and Happy B-day! I enjoy all the info you post!

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Did the cooler today while the in-laws were over. After it was done I started the car and the pump was moaning pretty good. I shut it down and checked the level then topped it off again. Started it again and took it around the block. It was quiet until I went lock to lock then it was moaning again. Is there a trick to bleeding it ? The cooler was warm so I know fluid is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by jmargo View Post
    Did the cooler today while the in-laws were over. After it was done I started the car and the pump was moaning pretty good. I shut it down and checked the level then topped it off again. Started it again and took it around the block. It was quiet until I went lock to lock then it was moaning again. Is there a trick to bleeding it ? The cooler was warm so I know fluid is moving.
    Take the weight off the front wheels. Uncap the reservoir. With the car off, turn the wheel lock to lock until the bubbles are out. Fill as necessary.

The complete instructions are as follows:

http://www.agrperformance.com/AGR-In...structions.pdf

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Take the weight off the front wheels. Uncap the reservoir. With the car off, turn the wheel lock to lock until the bubbles are out. Fill as necessary.

The complete instructions are as follows:

http://www.agrperformance.com/AGR-In...structions.pdf
    Thanks. Wasn't expecting any noise since this was just on the return line and I never emptied the res.

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

was curious if anyone has a picture of the upgraded Derale PS cooler mounted?

Ugh. Another late night.

For those of you who that are just tuning in, I had one of the hoses connected to the Fluidyne FHP-10029 blow off as I was pulling up to a stoplight. Thinking that it might have been a fluke, I reconnected the line and it happened again shortly thereafter.

A few hours ago, I replaced the OEM hose clips with worm gear clamps. Result: the feed line exploded right next to the worm gear clamp. I took the Fluidyne FHP-10029 off the car, and found that it was partially clogged. It's been below freezing out here for a while, so I figured that there might have been water in my power steering fluid and that it froze. After letting the cooler warm up inside the house, it seemed to start flowing again, but I was unwilling to reinstall it because the thin, paralleled tubes would likely be susceptible to the same thing again.

It may be hard to see the split, but believe me, when the system is pressurized, this opening was gushing fluid

Fortunately, when I bought the FHP-10029, I also bought a slightly nicer Derale 13103 (7000 series) cooler. Originally, I thought I'd use it as a cheap way to help prototype an improved, hybrid brake/PS cooling duct in the foglamp area. But later on, I found out that the Derale 9000 and 10000 series coolers would be far more effective for a given size, and support real, NPT/AN style connectors that can handle very high pressures. So I stuck the Derale 13103 in storage for a rainy day (or night, as it turned out).

If I wasn't crunched for time, I would have purchased a Derale 9000 or 10000 series cooler, which have better mounting brackets, but the included hardware was more than sufficient to very securely attach the cooler to the OEM power steering bracket. I'm going outside right now to install it on the car and test the system, so I'll probably have more for you soon...

Front side

Back side

That is a ghetto-fabulous mounting bracket

Power steering fluid is hydroscopic - perhaps water in the lines and froze and caused a high differential pressure to an already worn out power steering hose line.

I believe the inlet/outlet lines on the Fluidyne FHP-10029 transmission cooler are smaller than OEM. Depending on the delta-P introduced by the new cooler, it could have been that which blew your line off then followed by a rupture after you put a worm clamp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    That is a ghetto-fabulous mounting bracket

Power steering fluid is hydroscopic - perhaps water in the lines and froze and caused a high differential pressure to an already worn out power steering hose line.

I believe the inlet/outlet lines on the Fluidyne FHP-10029 transmission cooler are smaller than OEM. Depending on the delta-P introduced by the new cooler, it could have been that which blew your line off then followed by a rupture after you put a worm clamp on it.
    Believe it or not, that was the only way to mount the cooler. Everything you see (including those metal brackets) was included by Derale. There is literally no hard mount location available--the top and bottom are gently clamped with a plastic piece that will not support fasteners or real weight. The sides are not much better. I will tell you that I swung the radiator around like a sword on the end of the bracket, so I know it's not going to come loose on the car.

I will probably add a Derale 51978 10000 series with ORB-10 fittings and one of their bracket mounting kits to my Amazon cart replace the 7000 Series. But I might not pull the trigger until the spring.

Edit: the barbed connections on the Derale 7000 Series are much bigger than the Fluidyne's. It's on the car, but I'm taking a break for the moment. It's snowing outside and the temperature is dropping rapidly.

Also, the Derale 51978 10000 Series is rated for 37,000 BTU/hr, versus the 18,000 BTU/hr rating of the FHP-10029. I eventually want to buy three more of these: one for the engine oil (in a custom-designed passenger side foglamp scoop), the transmission oil (driver's side scoop), and the differential oil (on the underside of the spare tire tub). It's a nice size. If I have more room, I might try a triplet of Derale 15860s...basically a 25 pass 10000 Series cooler with a 500 CFM fan and shroud.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

I'm not surprised by this failure... As I have show previously mine exploded at the track. I switched to the same cooler you listed above and no problems since then. I have a feeling the inlet design and manufactured quality is insufficient for our applications.

Good news and bad news: the cooler works perfectly. If anything, the steering wheel feels lighter than before, although that might be the placebo effect. Bad news is that I hit a patch of ice and curbed one of my Forgestars. I wrote them an email, asking whether they do repairs or if I'll have to buy a whole new set.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.