steering rack failure - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, steering rack failure in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Since my steering rack failed, my back is against the wall on this one. I'm looking into a pump replacement ...
    philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: steering rack failure

Since my steering rack failed, my back is against the wall on this one. I'm looking into a pump replacement as well. It's hard to rule out if it was the cooler or the pump so I have to assume both - eh. Boiling steering fluid...hmm. I have to think about when the car is idle etc. I'm sure the larger cooler increases the cooling capacity but doesn't rule out a tired 'ol steering pump.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Unless you have a huge honking heat exchanger in the lower grille. If you have to move up to the upper grille area you may need longer lines.

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

True. I don't know how much they cost as I took mine off my parts car. First one died at 102,000 miles almost exactly.

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    I have the V suspended. Here is what it looks like when you give that boot a firm squeeze:

If you were waiting to install that larger cooler let this serve as some inspiration.
    Thats and easy fix....just don't squeeze the boot !!!

This thing came out about as easy as the sway bar. Didn't have to drop the subframe. Just took off driver side rotor, remove sway bar, then after disconnecting all the lines just rotate it as you pull it out - driver's side.

This was actually very, very easy!

***Edit***

As I took off the inner tie rods I noticed both sides were blown. The passenger side boot was not torn but was completely filled with oil. The driver side boot was torn which is the only reason I noticed the drips in the first place. This makes me wonder how long the seals were blown and I had no idea - I never thought to check it.

If anyone has ever added power steering fluid because of suspected 'boiling', I would check the boots to see if there is any fluid in there. It is very easy to remove the clip on the inner tie rod boot and give it a squeeze - if you get oil, it's blown!

JosephScott is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Cadillac Seville 05 CTS-V

Hey whatsup, I actually own my own autoparts store. I wholesale to repair shops but I have no problem selling to anybody who needs stuff. When it comes to parts, Im the guy. I can get my hands on anything and I have alot of OEM stuff especially ACDelco. A new steering rack for your first generation V, which I own one myself would have been like 330.00. Part number 15878029. Original. Something rebuilt in a company called ARC would have been like 247.00. Part number 70-6761.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephScott View Post
    Hey whatsup, I actually own my own autoparts store. I wholesale to repair shops but I have no problem selling to anybody who needs stuff. When it comes to parts, Im the guy. I can get my hands on anything and I have alot of OEM stuff especially ACDelco. A new steering rack for your first generation V, which I own one myself would have been like 330.00. Part number 15878029. Original. Something rebuilt in a company called ARC would have been like 247.00. Part number 70-6761.
    Hmm, that part number is different than mine - 10357647, take a look:

What's the cost on a power steering pump? The $330 is a good price if it includes inner tie rods and bellow boots - I imagine you have to send in a core.

jmargo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 V

Quote Originally Posted by JosephScott View Post
    With that statement I'm sure your PM inbox will blow up with request in the next few days.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I dont want to step on anyone's toes here but... I was on RockAuto yesterday looking at new radiator hoses. The steering pumps on there are $117-$139 for an ACDelco rebuilt.

I pulled the trigger on a brand new one by ACDelco for 121.00, 2 day free shipping - Amazon Prime member

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a brand new one by ACDelco for 121.00, 2 day free shipping - Amazon Prime member
    damn good price

A power steering pump would cost you 124.00 re manufactured in a company i sell called a-1 cardone. One year warranty. Just going to need the core. If no core then ill charge you 20.00 dollar core fee. I have 2 in stock. ships next day.

That's about an average price I think. I went to Autozone and they had some cheaper but absolutely NONE in stock anywhere in there system with no lead times in getting one. In other words - they don't stock it.

I was lucky to get a brand new one from Amazon for $121 shipped. The price just went up to $142 about a day or 2 after I purchased it.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I was referring to the part price in general. The last rack I bought for a different car was $250 for a rebuild.

Correction, If you would purchased it from me it would have actually costed you 96.00

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.