Katech LS9x clutch install - shifter is notchy, reverse is difficult
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Katech LS9x clutch install - shifter is notchy, reverse is difficult in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Ok so I installed the LS9x twin clutch from Katech and followed their exact directions. As the title states, installed ...
    philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Katech LS9x clutch install - shifter is notchy, reverse is difficult

Ok so I installed the LS9x twin clutch from Katech and followed their exact directions. As the title states, installed according their directions:

1. Used stock LS6 slave
    2. heated flywheel and torqued to specifications
    3. torqued pressure plate to specifications
    4. used all supplied fasteners and alignment tool

I bled the clutch using a Motive bleeder with an attachment over the clutch reservoir. I have a Tick bleeder properly installed and observed no leaks. I pressurized the Motive bleeder to 10 psi and bled and followed it with 15 psi and finally 20 psi. At each interval, I noticed no difference with the pedal resistance when I detached the bleeding system.

The pedal feels 'light'. When I row through the gears, it does not feel smooth - very notchy. Reverse gear is a fight. Before I yank the transmission out and interrogate, I want to be sure I didn't overlook something or perhaps give direction on a better method of bleeding. I have cycled 2 quarts through the clutch about 10 times with no difference in the clutch engagement.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: Katech LS9x clutch install - shifter is notchy, reverse is difficult

I had the same issue. I could not get the clutch in reverse unless the car was shut off and ever other gear was a fight. I was never able to diagnose the issue after taking it out and re installing it twice along with visual inspection of the clutch. In the end i got rid of it and put in a LS7 clutch and have been much happier. I believe the captured disc in the clutch was damaged or defective somehow but could never see anything noticeable. Sorry I know this probably doesn't help much but at least you know you're not the only person who had this issue.

Damn! I hope it's not a defective part, that would baaaalow!

Here's a reference video. This was intended to show the fueling but Fuzzy also highlighted the issue with the notchy shifting (skip to 0.28 sec):

The shifting is no different after marathon attempts at bleeding - could I still have air in there? Not sure how tricky it is to bleed this thing but I have all the right equipment (or so I think).

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    The shifting is no different after marathon attempts at bleeding - could I still have air in there? Not sure how tricky it is to bleed this thing but I have all the right equipment (or so I think).
    I bled it the same way you did and with no luck after multiple attempts. on the LS7 i bled it one time and it has worked great. So I doubt it is air still trapped in the system.

did you buy the clutch and flywheel from Katech or just the flywheel and source he clutch elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    I bled it the same way you did and with no luck after multiple attempts. on the LS7 i bled it one time and it has worked great. So I doubt it is air still trapped in the system.

did you buy the clutch and flywheel from Katech or just the flywheel and source he clutch elsewhere?
    Bought the entire kit from Katech brand new.

Bought the entire kit from Katech brand new.
    I spent a great deal of time looking at positioning of the slave relative to the clutch finger and whether or not a shim should be used and i even bought a bunch of Tick shims and tried them based on the measurements i took (which is very hard to get any precision due to the way everything is designed). I dunno how easy it would be for you to do at this point but pulling the clutch back off and carefully examining the the captured disc.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tch-issue.html

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Did you take measurements to ensure you didn't need a shim?

Quote Originally Posted by VincentT View Post
    Did you take measurements to ensure you didn't need a shim?
    Nope, I didn't think it was necessary since the instructions didn't mention it. In hindsight, good idea to measure before re-installation.

Ok if I gotta drop the transmission and investigate a new slave is going in there. This looks like the OEM slave:

http://www.amazon.com/Centric-Parts-.../dp/B000EPX79W

Can anyone confirm this is the correct part?

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Fair warning: a new OEM slave is not going to work. You're having this problem because your existing slave doesn't have enough throw, and I've never heard of "too much" throw.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Fair warning: a new OEM slave is not going to work. You're having this problem because your existing slave doesn't have enough throw, and I've never heard of "too much" throw.
    Yeah I thought of that. I figured purchasing a new slave is good insurance. After I take measurements, I'll know if I need a shim etc. Just want to eliminate the possibility of a faulty slave.

Yeah I thought of that. I figured purchasing a new slave is good insurance. After I take measurements, I'll know if I need a shim etc. Just want to eliminate the possibility of a faulty slave.
    If you want to buy my old CS2529 LS7 (17,000 miles) slave off me, I'll sell it to you $40 including shipping. It's known good. I just replaced it with a new CS2529 and there was absolutely no difference in pedal feel. It's gotta beat spending $140 on an OEM slave only to find that the problem still exists.

If you want to buy my old CS2529 LS7 (17,000 miles) slave off me, I'll sell it to you $40 including shipping. It's known good. I just replaced it with a new CS2529 and there was absolutely no difference in pedal feel.
    The LS7 (C6) slave has significantly more travel than the OEM cts-v slave. I pulled the trigger on the Amazon slave and will compare before installing...and taking measurements etc. I'm a Prime member so if it is the wrong part...I send it back I'm guessing that I need a spacer or possibly torque to a lower setting.

I think your price is a good deal though!

***Edit***
    I emailed Jason at Katech inquiring on the situation.

The LS7 (C6) slave has significantly more travel than the OEM cts-v slave. I pulled the trigger on the Amazon slave and will compare before installing...and taking measurements etc. I'm a Prime member so if it is the wrong part...I send it back I'm guessing that I need a spacer or possibly torque to a lower setting.

I think your price is a good deal though!

***Edit***
    I emailed Jason at Katech inquiring on the situation.
    Aaaaaaahhh!

Think about it: if you install a spacer, you're moving the slave toward the engine, reducing the amount of distance that the pressure plate fingers can move outward and gaining an equal amount of forward throw on the slave. I predict that your pressure plate fingers require a greater range of articulation, not just a deeper throw. Consequently, I'm willing to bet that the original, short slave is going to force you to choose between a) clutch not fully disengaging or b) clutch not fully engaging. Neither of which you want.

Aaaaaaahhh!

Think about it: if you install a spacer, you're moving the slave toward the engine, reducing the amount of distance that the pressure plate fingers can move outward and gaining an equal amount of forward throw on the slave. I predict that your pressure plate fingers require a greater range of articulation, not just a deeper throw. Consequently, I'm willing to bet that the original, short slave is going to force you to choose between a) clutch not fully disengaging or b) clutch not fully engaging. Neither of which you want.
    If my measurements are way off, I'll send the OEM slave back to Amazon and look into another slave. If the LS7 (C6) slave works then I'll paypal you that slave. The difference between the the 2 slaves are evident with the Katech spacer. The Katech spacer brings the OEM slave to the length of the LS7 (slave). There is a big difference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.