RevShift - Blue Differential Bushing, Starting to "clunk" - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, RevShift - Blue Differential Bushing, Starting to "clunk" in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ^^^^I wouldn't even say the 95A is for race only guys. I only noticed minimal noise transmission when I installed ...
    PISNUOFF Guest

Re: RevShift - Blue Differential Bushing, Starting to "clunk"

^^^^I wouldn't even say the 95A is for race only guys. I only noticed minimal noise transmission when I installed mine. My diff whined pretty good prior to install and only got maybe 25% louder.
    FuzzyLogic likes this.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

[QUOTE=CSTech;11271114]
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    It's not the bushing. The same thing happened to me with the Creative Steel bushing (87A).[/QUOTE

I should state that our black bushing is not an 87A. It's is more for guys that want performance over oem but not the harsh ride of a stiffer bushing. We do have a 95A bushing out now for race guys.
    How firm is your bushing ? Is it more than 80a

Did you watch the video in the first post ? Does your bushing all for the same amount of flex in the rear diff ?

Thanks.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The Creative Steel bushing is significantly harder than 80A, but softer than 95A. Personal experience with all three products suggests that Revshift's original assertion that the Creative Steel is using Flexane 80 (which measures 87A) was dead nuts on.

I'll most likely be pulling that BLUE bushing out next spring; I will definitely report back then.

Probably just go for a RED one, and try some different oil in the diff and get some sound absorbing material for under the back seat. Really can't hear the diff at all now, until she gets completely warmed up, then it is just minor whine. Figuring the RED bushing will increase this though.

I put that BLUE bushing in back in April. Was 100% satisfied at the time with the feel of the drive-line. 6 months later, I can hear and feel it, not as bad as original, but it has my attention.

Until then... she's ready to rest for a few months

----------

Watched the video one more time; put a piece of paper to the computer screen. It is definitely moving.

Not sure if I mentioned above, I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car; they have awesome grip.
    I was so impressed the first time i was rolling at parking lot speed in 1st gear, stabbed it... and the car just launched with no slippage. This was mid summer so that helps traction and hurts HP, but it just felt good. Anyways, I'm sure this was putting the BLUE bushing to the test too though.

CSTech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    The Creative Steel bushing is significantly harder than 80A, but softer than 95A. Personal experience with all three products suggests that Revshift's original assertion that the Creative Steel is using Flexane 80 (which measures 87A) was dead nuts on.
    This is some interesting logic and point of view. This statement would lead the reader to believe that ALL rubber-like products that have a Shore hardness of 87A are made from Flexane 80 (had to Google it to find out what it was). In theory, if I post a Shore hardness rating, Fuzzy and his heroes should be able to tell me what kind of tires we have on our shop truck. The truth is, there are many different urethane's from different manufactures that have different properties and characteristics.
    The hardness of the urethane is only one aspect of how well a urethane is suited for any given purpose. So just saying how hard the urethane is in any given bushing or mount is a bit misleading. The thickness of the material is a factor,example: a 1/4" of 87A (something) will have different strength and vibration isolation qualities than 1/2" of the same material. Another factor: is the load being applied putting the urethane in compression or tension?-----and that is where the design of the other components of the mount/bushing come in to play.

Oh, and the stiffness of the material in our Black diff bushings is 70A-75A. The Red diff bushings are 90A-95A
    Jordan @ Creative Steel Inc.

503-316-1811
    Open M-F 8:00-5:00 PST
    Jordan@creative-steel.com

Check us out at: http://www.creative-steel.com
    We're on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Creat...39612609499435

CSTech, do you think your bushing will allow my diff to move as it is now; even though your bushing has a softer material ?

Not sure if you read, but I do have your block in on top of the diff bushing too; kind of why I'm surprised it moves even though I have the softer BLUE bushing in.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    CSTech, do you think your bushing will allow my diff to move as it is now; even though your bushing has a softer material ?

Not sure if you read, but I do have your block in on top of the diff bushing too; kind of why I'm surprised it moves even though I have the softer BLUE bushing in.
    The upward movement of the diff has me perplexed since that is the only direction that the diff block comes in to play. How difficult was it to push the diff up in to place when the diff block was being installed? There should be some compression resistance of the block to get that last 1/8" of upward movement of the diff before the bolt will go through the bushing. If there was no resistance, I'm wondering if the cavity in your cars sub-frame/cradle is somehow deeper than other cars allowing the block to go UP further than it was intended. About the only possible solution I have is to send you one of our bushings, the install tool and some rubber/urethane sheeting to make a shim out of if there is indeed a gap between the diff block and diff housing.
    In any case I think you're gonna need to drop the front of the diff to discover exactly what is going wrong.

CALL ME, if you have more questions....Max
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    The upward movement of the diff has me perplexed since that is the only direction that the diff block comes in to play. How difficult was it to push the diff up in to place when the diff block was being installed? There should be some compression resistance of the block to get that last 1/8" of upward movement of the diff before the bolt will go through the bushing. If there was no resistance, I'm wondering if the cavity in your cars sub-frame/cradle is somehow deeper than other cars allowing the block to go UP further than it was intended. About the only possible solution I have is to send you one of our bushings, the install tool and some rubber/urethane sheeting to make a shim out of if there is indeed a gap between the diff block and diff housing.
    In any case I think you're gonna need to drop the front of the diff to discover exactly what is going wrong.

CALL ME, if you have more questions....Max
    I think I remember it needing to be pressed upwards while I pushed the bolt in. I actually dropped the whole cradle.
    Do I need the tool to push your bushing in ? The bushing in there now is 2 pieces and should push right out without any tools.

Thanks for the follow up.

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    It's still a lot better than it was with the stock rubber mount; I'm just trying to figure out if I want to upgrade to the firmer mount. Obviously since this mount should slide out vs. being cut out, shouldn't be too bad of a job.
    The diff is moving because there is an 80A bushing in there. 80A isn't that hard and will allow some movement. That's what bushings are supposed to do.

If you want to try the 95A bushing give us a call and we will hook you up and make you very happy. Don't waste your time with special tools and all that mess. You already have a two piece bushing in there and you can easily change it out for our 95A one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Revshift View Post
    The diff is moving because there is an 80A bushing in there. 80A isn't that hard and will allow some movement. That's what bushings are supposed to do.

If you want to try the 95A bushing give us a call and we will hook you up and make you very happy. Don't waste your time with special tools and all that mess. You already have a two piece bushing in there and you can easily change it out for our 95A one now.
    My question though is: It didn't move for 6 months, and now it does. I've got a feeling the center of that bushing is slightly wobbled out.

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

When I had a broken diff bolt on one of the rear mounts.....the whole diff moved like yours.... Check the bolts. Might be loose.

Also...I have the creative steel front diff bushing. CS said in a post that they are 70-75a hardness, wouldnt that have even more give than the 80a blue bushing?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    When I had a broken diff bolt on one of the rear mounts.....the whole diff moved like yours.... Check the bolts. Might be loose.
    All are tight;checked with torque wrench.

I edited my last post while you replied ^

How did you check the rear bolts with a torque wrench?? Theres no way to get one in there. Less the cradle in dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    I edited my last post while you replied ^

How did you check the rear bolts with a torque wrench?? Theres no way to get one in there. Less the cradle in dropped.
    I got my wrench in there. I think I put a socket on the bolt first, then maneuvered the wrench in between the sway bar. No extensions or swivels. Since it was already torqued, I only had to turn the wrench enough to get the "click".
    Put my foot on one of the rear wheels and pulled like hell

I was thinking the same thing as far as the CS being softer; does yours feel like it moves ?

My car is clunk city...but I also have about 15 feet of gear lash in the rear end...lol.. BUT, like i said... when one of my diff bolts broke, that rear end flopped so hard it busted a fin off the back of the case on the subframe and was wrenching on the exhaust pipe.. it flopped like a fish out of water. even by hand. I have no doubt in my mind that even now with everything tight, that under load Im getting MORE deflection than your video.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.