LSA piston questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By DMM
  • 1 Post By PISNUOFF
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, LSA piston questions in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I bought a used LSA short block to replace the cracked LS6 in my car. It's in the machine shop ...
    ronr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

LSA piston questions

I bought a used LSA short block to replace the cracked LS6 in my car. It's in the machine shop for freshening and I just got a call that 2 of the cylinder bores are .005" out of round at the top (thrust surfaces lower in the block look okay). The machine shop is suggesting bore 1 size over (.010"??) and replace pistons/rings.

I'm thinking this makes sense since I've already got it torn apart and in the shop and it gives me a good excuse to look at upgrading to forged pistons. I do, however, have more questions than answers now:

Would .010" oversize be the correct "one size over" bore and what would that make the bore diameter (I've only been able to find a GM Marine LSA brochure which lists the bore as 103.25mm)?

Does GM have a "stock" oversize piston I could buy instead of upgrading to fully forged? If so what is the part number?

Do the aftermarket piston manufacturers make pistons (pins) compatible with the stock LSA rods or will I have to upgrade those in the process also? If so, who and which?

Should I skip boring all together since it's just at the top of 2 cylinders, "hone 'em and let the rings do their job"?
    '04 Platinum, Maggie, Corsa cat back, StealthV tune, UUC short throw shifter, Autovation Pedals, Lingenfelter CAI, GC coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, UUC braided brake lines, Lingenfelter LS9 clutch, Level V RPM Transmission, Creative Steel engine & trans mounts, LSA block with forged bottom end, RHS heads, Comp valve train, ATI damper, Kooks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Re: LSA piston questions

I'd have them re-measure and provide the numbers. They would not need to bore it, a finish hone would be more in line with what is actually done on LS motors. Consider LS1/6's are finish honed to accommodate 3.905" pistons from the original 3.898" bore. I believe .010" is the absolute max for the OE cylinder liners as well.

I advise them to re-measure as finish honing is a standard practice with LS motors, and if they're actually trying to charge for a bore/hone they're certainly taking you for a pretty expensive ride. I would measure for myself and most likely leave things as is, honestly.

It's almost Xmas time...everyone needs money.
    PISNUOFF, lollygagger8 and SC2150 like this.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Agree w/DMM. Good advice.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

PISNUOFF Guest

Wash....240 ball hone....420 plateau brush.....aftermarket rings....wash....done.
    lollygagger8 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.