After my Revshift Red Cradle Bushing install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, After my Revshift Red Cradle Bushing install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So... for the second time in 5 months, ive had the cradle out of the car. This time was to ...
    voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

After my Revshift Red Cradle Bushing install

So... for the second time in 5 months, ive had the cradle out of the car. This time was to install my revshift red cradle bushings. Short story shorter, we drilled 3 holes in each side of the rubber on the factory bushings, used a sawzall wood blade and a squirt bottle of windex or some blue cleaner to keep the rubber and blade cool and provide lubrication while cutting around the steel center. The 3 holes just provided less rubber and less resistance for the blade.. Using the squirt bottle we had no smoke and it was was easier on the saw.. then made a slit in the steel outer sleeve and pounded the bushings out.

NOW with it all back together my drive shaft clunks like there is a ton of lash in the rear end. shift R-1-2-3 bangs hard as you let out of the clutch.. while in R-1-2-3 gears push gas and let out... bang bang!!

were the old bushings THAT soft as to dampen this noise?? I find it hard to believe. every bolt is torqued down and driveshaft bolts have lock tight also. is this common that people notice the clunking now with the harder bushings??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Re: After my Revshift Red Cradle Bushing install

Did you change the diff bushing while you were in there too ?
    I did Red cradle bushings, a blue diff bushing, and I also put in creative steels bushing block for reassurance that the diff would not be able to flex up.
    I still hear a little clunk, but I think that is mostly inside the diff. Gen 4 diff with less than 10k on it.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Sounds like you replaced the differential bushing also and didn't torque down the three differential bolts to 129 ft-lbs.

the diff has a creative steel bushing.. and the diff bolts are new and torqued to correct spec as of august after breaking a diff bolt.

So, I jacked the car up and checked things out tonite. Diff bolts are still tight.. everything it tight EXCEPT.. the play in the driveshaft-diff...... its always had play but it seem to be very loud and clunky now.. it sounds empty in the diff... I personally never checked the fluid but had a trusted shop check all fluids the day after I bought the car and they told me all was good. Im suspecting the differential is low.... diff whine went from almost unoticable on the drive home from buying the car to 5 months later its almost unbearable.... i took this video to show just how loud this clunking in even by hand. I would think that if the diff was full of fluid the lash in the diff gears wouldnt sound like a church bell thundering away..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZV4tYV-HGE

Is that the original diff that came in the car ?

yes.. but this noise was not noticable prior to the cradle bushing install... it doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    yes.. but this noise was not noticable prior to the cradle bushing install... it doesnt make sense.
    If you have an 04 V with the original diff, and it appears to have a lot of slop in it; I'd imagine she is getting to follow suit of the many other diffs in the 04's and 05's.
    I'm just going by all the other stories I've read, not had this issue myself.

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I have the same situation with my M3 that we did subframe bushings on a few months ago. It is from excessive gear lash somewhere in the diff. The harder subframe bushings transmit the noise a lot more than the rubber oem bushings. The clunk was there before you did the bushings. You can hear/feel it more now. My clunk is from the passenger side axle output shaft gears in the limited slip unit. This winter I will be having the diff rebuilt.

The point of my little story is that the bushings didn't cause your clunk. They just transmit more noise because they are a lot stiffer.

Thanks revshift, I wasnt saying the bushings caused the clunk..lol I was trying to confirm if having the more solid cradle is allowing me to actually hear the clunking louder now (existing prior or not) or if something got jacked up. I know the gear lash was the same prior to the bushing instal because I just had the cradle out, but I could almost never hear any clunking from the driveshaft before. I guess ill chalk it up to excessive gear lash and a more solid cradle.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    So, I jacked the car up and checked things out tonite. ... it sounds empty in the diff... I personally never checked the fluid but had a trusted shop check all fluids the day after I bought the car and they told me all was good. Im suspecting the differential is low.... diff whine went from almost unoticable on the drive home from buying the car to 5 months later its almost unbearable.... i took this video to show just how loud this clunking in even by hand. I would think that if the diff was full of fluid the lash in the diff gears wouldnt sound like a church bell thundering away.
    If you're concerned about fluid level in the diff, and you already have the car jacked up, why not remove the fill plug and see what the level is?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

AAIIIC-- I jacked it up on a break from getting our customer database server back up last night, I was in a big hurry, also didnt have any tools with me. Checking fluid levels tomorrow.
    AAIIIC likes this.

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Revshift View Post
    I have the same situation with my M3 that we did subframe bushings on a few months ago. It is from excessive gear lash somewhere in the diff. The harder subframe bushings transmit the noise a lot more than the rubber oem bushings. The clunk was there before you did the bushings. You can hear/feel it more now. My clunk is from the passenger side axle output shaft gears in the limited slip unit. This winter I will be having the diff rebuilt.

The point of my little story is that the bushings didn't cause your clunk. They just transmit more noise because they are a lot stiffer.
    Agreed.

Uselesryder919 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V Raven

mine does the exactl same thing now

its a give and take when you install performance based products on your car... logic told me that stiffer cradle bushings would transmit more noise, just was more than expected.. For daily driving, the more solid cradle makes no difference in stability as far as I can tell in my car... I feel more road bumps, and my diff whine is pretty damn irritating... BUT I definitely feel the difference when im standing on the gas and flying through the curves... the a$$ end doesnt want to kick out anymore and it doesn't feel like im driving a spaghetti noodle anymore... Im happy with the product and will endorse its quality and effectiveness, but am on the fence about it being a good upgrade for daily driving ON MY PARTICULAR CAR. Hindsight, im unsure if I would still go forth with installing these on MY car due only to the fact that I hate the clunking and it make my car sound like a pile of Sh*t... give and take?? I might have taken my loose rear end over stability if it meant no obnoxiously audible clunking..

Disclaimer!!! My opinions of the cradle bushings are based solely on my particular car and experience, and should not be used to determine whether any person should or should not purchase and install them on their own car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.