Monster Stage 2 clutch with 18lb flywheel installed, now very difficult to shift...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Monster Stage 2 clutch with 18lb flywheel installed, now very difficult to shift... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; into 1st and reverse. Install was done a couple months ago, the shop said they felt this was probably normal. ...
    DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre

Monster Stage 2 clutch with 18lb flywheel installed, now very difficult to shift...

into 1st and reverse. Install was done a couple months ago, the shop said they felt this was probably normal. At the Indy V meet I tried the shifter in another V with the same clutch installed at the same time and his was butter-smooth. Took it back to the shop and they dropped the trans to see if they could find the issue. After the mechanic talked to someone at Monster they tried shimming the clutch. Said shifting effort is improved, but not back to what it was before the new clutch was installed. They said next they checked the clutch master cylinder and there is contamination in the form of little bits of rubber. The mechanic believes the increased force required to operate the new clutch is causing the seals in the master cylinder to break down. He recommended replacing the clutch master cylinder with an adjustable one from Tick Performance. I have a couple questions:

Has anyone else had this issue when installing an aftermarket clutch?

Does this sound like an appropriate fix?

Is there anything else I should suggest the shop look at as long as they've got everything apart?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

Re: Monster Stage 2 clutch with 18lb flywheel installed, now very difficult to shift.

all the threads ive seen about 1st and reverse, seemed to be a tranny mount issue...

ctsvoom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

Re: Monster Stage 2 clutch with 18lb flywheel installed, now very difficult to shift.

I thought 1st and reverse were kind of a common thing. If I go into another gear and then 1st or reverse it's fine. I also have the monster clutch with 18# flywheel. But the dealer also told me the clutch was bad when it was actually the master that had given up. So my fiancé offered to do the clutch if I could wait a week. Bought the monster and new master and all was well.

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I recently took an old Monster stage 2 off of my car. I had been having long term first and reverse problems as well, had already replaced both motor mounts and the trans mount, and decided to put in an LS7 clutch. I thought I still had an OE clutch at the time, but turns out a Monster had been put in by the previous owner. I put in a new C6 Corvette slave (did not replace the master) along with the new clutch and all of my shifting problems are gone. 400 in-town miles later, and I have yet to have difficulty getting into 1st or reverse. I also have MUCH less pedal effort than before.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Sorry to hear boss.

When I installed my Monster Stage 3 I had zero problems.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Curious to hear how it goes if you do replace the master.

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Zero problems with my Monster Stage II. Smooth shifting, engagement, everything. HUGE improvement over stock.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by VincentT View Post
    I put in a new C6 Corvette slave (did not replace the master) along with the new clutch and all of my shifting problems are gone. 400 in-town miles later, and I have yet to have difficulty getting into 1st or reverse. I also have MUCH less pedal effort than before.
    Aside from 1st and reverse issues, did you have any other problems with the clutch before the change? I'm considering a clutch swap vs. syncro replacement to rid my car of reverse issues.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS View Post
    into 1st and reverse. Install was done a couple months ago, the shop said they felt this was probably normal. At the Indy V meet I tried the shifter in another V with the same clutch installed at the same time and his was butter-smooth. Took it back to the shop and they dropped the trans to see if they could find the issue. After the mechanic talked to someone at Monster they tried shimming the clutch. Said shifting effort is improved, but not back to what it was before the new clutch was installed. They said next they checked the clutch master cylinder and there is contamination in the form of little bits of rubber. The mechanic believes the increased force required to operate the new clutch is causing the seals in the master cylinder to break down. He recommended replacing the clutch master cylinder with an adjustable one from Tick Performance. I have a couple questions:

Has anyone else had this issue when installing an aftermarket clutch?

Does this sound like an appropriate fix?

Is there anything else I should suggest the shop look at as long as they've got everything apart?

Thanks!
    Hey DDS, did you get the car back with the shim on the Monster Stage 2 ? Not sure if you saw the thread I have going; not happy with my high RPM 4th gear shifts, and I'm thinking a shim might help. Figured I'd check with you being we have the same setup besides for the flywheel.

Update: after talking to Monster the shop tried a shim, it improved the difficulty shifting but didn't eliminate it. Next they recommended an adjustable master cylinder from Tick Performance. I called them and it turns out they don't have one for the V, but the owner just bought a V1 for his wife so its in the works but won't be available for a year or so. So back to the shop I went, they're going to replace the master cylinder and install the transmission bushing insert and see what that does. I'll let you guys know how it goes from here. On the bright side they gave me a brand spanking new (barely 500 miles on the odo when I picked it up) GMC Sierra to drive while they worked on my car. I'm pretty much convinced I'm buying one of those once the V is paid off.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Aside from 1st and reverse issues, did you have any other problems with the clutch before the change? I'm considering a clutch swap vs. syncro replacement to rid my car of reverse issues.
    The original problem was grinding when shifting into 3rd. While the trans was out getting a new 3rd gear and synchros I decided to have them go ahead and upgrade the clutch. So no clutch issues before the replacement, after the replacement it was sometimes nearly impossible to get into 1st or reverse, other times merely difficult.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

All the symptoms presented by everybody point to a dragging clutch. It's not being completely released. In my experience, the major cause is letting the transmission hang by the input shaft during installation and warping the clutch plate. Another cause is a clutch plate that does not slide easily on the input shaft spline. After installation of the clutch and before installing the drive shaft, have a helper put the car in top gear and depress the clutch pedal. You should be able to easily turn the output shaft on the transmission by hand with little or no drag.
    DDS rollin a CTS likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

Now thats some good advice... in all the times ive replaced clutches over the years, ive seriously never checked for drag by turning the drive shaft. wowsa... just put it all together and drive away. Luckily have never had any dragging clutches either.

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    There were a few others. The clutch pedal was extremely hard, hard enough that when sitting at a short red light I would put it in neutral instead of holding the clutch in. It would also grind into 2nd if I was shifting with any spirit. There was also a large amount of chatter, but I chalk that up to how worn the friction disc was.

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    All the symptoms presented by everybody point to a dragging clutch. It's not being completely released. In my experience, the major cause is letting the transmission hang by the input shaft during installation and warping the clutch plate. Another cause is a clutch plate that does not slide easily on the input shaft spline. After installation of the clutch and before installing the drive shaft, have a helper put the car in top gear and depress the clutch pedal. You should be able to easily turn the output shaft on the transmission by hand with little or no drag.
    I'll forward this on to the shop and see what they have to say.

04cts v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoD
    Zero problems with my Monster Stage II. Smooth shifting, engagement, everything. HUGE improvement over stock.
    Same for me...only issue I had was the new clutch slave Monster sent was bad...shop changed it and it shifts very smoothly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.