Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Back up on blocks for winter work

10K views 76 replies 10 participants last post by  philistine 
#1 ·
Had a bunch of custom exhaust work done and the first thing the guy said when he put it up on the rack is,"Get rid of that header wrapping!".

So, the exhaust work is done and works great, but I have to disassemble the exhaust and strip the headers, then send them off for Hot Jet coating.

Also, have a "Fast Lane" super duper alternator to install as the short drives aren't cutting it with the computer and upgraded stereo.

In the meantime I got a convertor to adapt the OEM radio to an optical sound feed I am gonna hook up.

If time allows, may turn attention to the fuel delivery system as I have a bunch of parts I have been collecting for it.

#44 ·
The reason I got them Hot Jet Coated was when I went to the exhaust shop the owner just about booted me in the ass for wrapping them, and said so.

Then he showed me the error of my ways.

A set of headers that had been wrapped and were rotted through because they got brittle from the heat and whatever moisture gets trapped (condensation) even with stainless headers (such as the B&B).

I opted for the high temp coating as I run an S/C.

#46 ·
Wire showed up, here are pics of the cables I fabled that will go from the alternator to the battery.

Also, the isolation mounts for the X pipe were separated so I had to replace those also.

Found a beefier one on Ebay.

Tag is specs on the new alternator.

Attachments

#69 ·
I think I have a bad ground. My voltage has been really swinging lately. A week ago I had 14.2 at idle, then I had 13.1. While driving it's usually 13.5. I just dealt with a bad battery and replaced it with a fresh one. I didn't pay much mind to it until another member mentioned their problems. I wanted to check the health on my fuel pump wiring and they were hot to the touch - this is all recent.

So I just emptied a shopping cart full of items on this thread. So what voltage do you get at cold idle, hot idle, and cruising?

#62 ·
Getting close to the "finish" line with this part of the project (this car is a project).

Had to order o2 extensions for the rear o2's as the new cats are further back.

The car does pass sniff test and the #'s are in the mud. WHOO HOO!

The unexpected plus was that they tucked the cats up higher so they don't hit the speed bumps.

#63 ·
I'm surprised you didn't cut/solder extension wires on the existing O2 sensors. I did that on mine and used used Raychem heatshrink on the splices and wrapped it with high temp flex loom.

Not familiar with your battery and can't clearly see how your wires are connected in the pics. When you say there was enough thread on the terminal, where are you connecting it? I say this because they make battery terminals that accommodate additional ring terminals such as the one from Racetronix - GMBT-B

#64 ·
I'm surprised you didn't cut/solder extension wires on the existing O2 sensors. I did that on mine and used used Raychem heatshrink on the splices and wrapped it with high temp flex loom.

Not familiar with your battery and can't clearly see how your wires are connected in the pics. When you say there was enough thread on the terminal, where are you connecting it? I say this because they make battery terminals that accommodate additional ring terminals such as the one from Racetronix - GMBT-B
I would rather buy extensions then fart around extending existing wiring.

As for the terminals, the ones you show (actually any) would push the battery terminal out to far for my liking.

The battery side terminals stick out over an inch as they are also posts.

I already killed the battery a few times sitting in the car zoning out on a few dozen tunes or a movie, so I may opt for a bigger battery.

#65 ·
Update:

Rear O2 extensions are in, but need to be secured.

Changed the oil & filter while I was underneath the car.

I guess I will take it off the blocks this week.

Had success running the OEM radio/nav through the 5.1 system.

Waiting for parts to finish that.

Next project on this will probably be fuel system related, delivery and pressure monitoring.

#66 ·
UPDATE:

Grabbed the audio feed to the BOSE amplifier and found they are differential.

Breadboarded a chip and it converts the differential signal to single ended and it sounds GREAT.

The big problem is now volume control as the OEM radio controls volume via class II to the Bose amp.

What a funky way to do things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.