Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle? - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; With the info gathered here, it shouldn't be too hard to fab a tubular lower control arm to make this ...
    ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Re: Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle?

With the info gathered here, it shouldn't be too hard to fab a tubular lower control arm to make this a bolt in swap. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

I emailed Max at Creative Steel to see if I could peak a little interest in this as it would make a great complement to his already produced "wide tire rear trailing arms". If any one besides myself sees this mod as being beneficial and you (like me) don't have the time or resources to have parts machined and then weld them on, send Max an email and maybe we can convince him to add something like this to his product offerings.

Thanks to all who have pushed this forward.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    It's not holding true as much as neutral position.

When u lift the car everythin pulls down, but when the car is sittin on its wheels the lca is level with the ground. As so should the uca be. If u tighten the uca in the level position then bolt everything on then the rubber bushing will work with ur shocks and not against it

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    It's not holding true as much as neutral position.

When u lift the car everythin pulls down, but when the car is sittin on its wheels the lca is level with the ground. As so should the uca be. If u tighten the uca in the level position then bolt everything on then the rubber bushing will work with ur shocks and not against it
    Okay, so you're referring to an issue that is specific to the OEM bushings. Essentially, because the OEM bushings are bonded to the arms, once you torque down the control arm bolts, that rubber get twisted and tries to spring back to its original position as your suspension goes up and down. Torquing down those bolts in a "neutral" position minimizes the effect that the rubber twisting will have on the behavior of your suspension.

But then again, so does buying polyurethane control arm bushings.

Naf
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic
    Okay, so you're referring to an issue that is specific to the OEM bushings. Essentially, because the OEM bushings are bonded to the arms, once you torque down the control arm bolts, that rubber get twisted and tries to spring back to its original position as your suspension goes up and down. Torquing down those bolts in a "neutral" position minimizes the effect that the rubber twisting will have on the behavior of your suspension. But then again, so does buying polyurethane control arm bushings.
    So where does one get bushing for the upper and lower poly bushings?

Pot stirred

tmonttt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    So where does one get bushing for the upper and lower poly bushings?

Pot stirred
    Front Lowers;

https://www.revshift.com/shop/front-...2007-cts-v.php

Front Uppers;

https://www.revshift.com/shop/front-...2007-cts-v.php

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Creative Steel also makes and sells UCA/LCA bushings with zerks.

Naf
    I rather use revshift better quality and i was theit inspiration to make start making parts for the v

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

After doing some measurements, I adjusted my machine pattern. Notes:
    • Each mounting "tab" in the subframe is comprised of 1/8" steel with at least 22mm of material between the end of the M14 slot and the end of the tab.
    • The M14-2.0 bolts connecting the control arms to the subframe feature super-wide flange heads. I measured their diameter as 33mm and change, which I rounded up to 34mm.
    • Therefore, a 40mm-long slot (up from Naf's 30mm slots) requires a machined plate that is 74mm long, minimum. Otherwise the bolt flange will not be able to fully clamp to the plate.
    • Each M14-2.0 bolt has 8mm of untapered thread available, making 1/8" (3.125mm)-thick steel plate the thickest recommended material. 8-2(3.125) = 1.75mm thread margin (87.5% of one thread is left over).
    Further complicating matters, I found that the backface of each tab had a widely-varying amount of surface area available, because the subframe forms a "pocket" around each. At the very front of the car, the tab had about 5mm of free space after the nut. At the very back of the car, the tab had a lot more available space, however, it also has a form-fitting piece of plate that is tack welded into place. In order to achieve a nice, strong weld there, the machined plate needs to have about 15mm extra length to cover the existing plate and bridge the existing plate.

Since I can't exceed 40mm width without these plates poking out past the bottom of the subframe, I'm able to produce 10 instead of 8 plates from a single piece of 18" 4130 steel, assuming that the cutting head is 1/4" or smaller. This gives me an opportunity to build two experimental tabs without worrying about accidentally screwing myself when it comes time to fit these things up and weld them in place. Ultimately, I decided to develop a drawing featuring eight, 40x80mm tabs with 40mm-long slots. The other two will measure 40x70mm, with 30mm-long slots. If the edges need rounding off, I'll do that with a grinder or something.

TLDR version: I'm making eight machined plates that will meet or exceed OEM subframe strength while providing a 40mm slot for 2.5+ degrees of camber. Since I have extra material, I'll also be experimenting with a smaller version that uses a 30mm slot.

Naf

Its a shame we arent in the same neighborhood, we could have compared approaches and seen which is an easier method.

Naf
    Chassis is primed and painted. Will be installin the parts later this week then finishin the exhaust flushing the oil passages and startin the engine for the first time in a yr and a half...

Naf

I am all installed, and i was seriously curious to know if i can have all four wheels 305. And Guess what?!?!?!?

I CAN INSTALL 305 ALL AROUND MY CAR!!!!

What does this mean for you, well, you can run a 275 up front.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69163769@N07/13264231344/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69163769@N07/13264238624/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69163769@N07/13264027313/

I have an electrician coming in tomorrow to wrap up all my wiring needs, and install my gauge pod, methanol injection with temp activation, and rpm switches for my exhaust baffle control.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69163769@N07/13264296974/

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

We could already run 275 on all 4 corners with the stock setup. so what size is that wheel? 19x10?

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

And there is no rubbing during tight turning?

Naf
    It's actually 19 x 11 and I do not have any rubbing while turning

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

nice job! look forward to your test drive results!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.