Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am sayin the shock mounts are further back than stock. Maybe because of the needed spacer it felt like ...
    Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I am sayin the shock mounts are further back than stock. Maybe because of the needed spacer it felt like it was pushed backwards.

The spacer is done. Am makin gear like notches so it locks in place. Pix will come tomorro promise

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle?

Would you be willing to make 8-10 sets of spacers, assuming this thing pans out? Because I can probably name that many forum members who would be eager to lose 1-2 lbs of unsprung weight per side, potentially be able to run bigger wheels, and have better lowered geometry. I'll contact Revshift and see what they say about making bushings for this application. Of course, it's possible that the existing ones will fit--only time will tell.

Naf
    The end link will be a problem. Thought about it last night.

With the end link now tied to the knuckle i do not know how it turns and works...

It looks like we might have to use a straight (or via a S-curve) end link to go into the knuckle. Something like the Energy Suspension 9-8121R might work. Or there may be a simpler solution, like tapping two bolt holes for a piece of angle iron and drilling a hole in the upright section to accept a standard sway bar end link.

Naf

I saw those pics as well...

Just need to figure out how it all works. I think there is a bit of tilting and slightly twistin involved. Thus the reason for the long end link.

I will be updatin you today in a about 4-5 hrs after i try and install all the parts...

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Cant wait for the info here great work guys

Naf
    Its a no go!

Shock is tilted too far back

The knuckle wont go in for the sway bar touches it

And there is no way to bolt the end link to the suspension...

If you wanna give it a try pm me for the parts and i will sell them to ya

Wonderful. I already have a spindle and control arm coming in the mail. I'll take a look at it.

Naf
    The geometry is all wrong. On the new cars the lower arm is more forward. Maybe 18mm

Also the sway bar has to be changed for it sticks out the wrong way.

Which side did u get fuzzy?

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    The geometry is all wrong. On the new cars the lower arm is more forward. Maybe 18mm

Also the sway bar has to be changed for it sticks out the wrong way.

Which side did u get fuzzy?
    Passenger side.

Naf
    Hahahaha

We both must have been scared to mess with the drivers side...

If you want this to maybe work you will need to drop 3 grand on the front under carriage. It may bolt in it may not. But u will have two wins

One u get an all alu carriage instead of steel
    Two no one else is gonna drop that kind of coin for a few lb so u will be the only one

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by barrok69 View Post
    I think your other option is pretty much not feasible. If you could amortize the cost of a $1million dollar tool to be able to forge these, I'm not sure that even if you had 100 people interested would be willing to pay $10,000 per upright + the cost of the material and manufacturing of parts. lol
    Also, Since you are using a different material you can't use the same shape as the cast iron ones as the material strength properties are vastly different and would definitely fail. Aluminum needs to be much thicker in some of the sections to carry the same stress levels as the Cast iron. so add another few thousand to that price to hire an engineering firm to do FEA work for you while they redesign the upright from scratch

Also what shocks would you use if you changed the height? The travel/valving would be all wrong.

Just something I've noticed... With all the money you've put or planning on putting into your V1 you could of had a V2 and then some, which arguably is a better performing vehicle all around especially given the shock technology it has and the easy bolt on 650rwhp mods available for it, better diff, trans... etc etc... the list is too long.

I love my V1 for it's looks. the interior sucks and the driveline issues are quite bullshit But I'll continue driving it living with the imperfections until they push me to something else.
    I love modding cars, but it gets to a point where you want to mod the car to the level and beyond of the next gen car that exists for only 12k (used) more than what your current car is worth seems ...futile. Just my 0.02

----------

A quick and relatively easy weight save would be to convert to 5lug hubs and wheels.
    Another option is you could also convert to electronic park brake, eliminating the need for internal shoes, cable, and footbrake assembly.
    Each time you post, i think its me doing the typing. But yeah the 5 lug would save more weight and have benefit. and cost less overall it seems.

Naf

It is probably possible to upgrade the front suspension, but like you said it wont be cheap..

We have a few options. contract a chinese company to make the new arm for us. or spen 3,000-5,000 dollars and buy the full front end.

Either way it may or may not work...

The first option is the better of the two and probably cheaper.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Nothing wrong with having a chinese company make you a new arm, only difference is that a big company can afford to have them build it...test it and add revisions to the product. We would be doing the durability for this part on the open road which would be a bad idea.

You could buy the majority of the front end from a scrap yard, have it checked for straightness and spend maybe 500 bucks in parts.

Just played with the cast aluminum and cast iron pieces. They are identical in weight. Once you notice that the cast aluminum V2 spindle is roughly twice the size of the cast iron V1 spindle, it's not surprising. If you have any detailed questions about the differences, let me know. Bottom line is that Naf was correct in saying that you have to use upper and lower V2 control arms. The ball joint interfaces are the problem.

The next thing I want to do is look into V2 upper control arms. Weight considerations aside, they should permit several additional degrees of caster due to the better ball joint location. The trick is going to be figuring out how to resolve the threaded ball joint problem. If Creative Steel or Revshift is reading this, it may be worthwhile looking at compatibility with the V2 spindle if you're thinking about building lower control arms. You'd triple your userbase, and the people that would be interested in that product would probably not think twice about spending an additional $400 on used V2 spindles/upper control arms.

V2 upper control arm

V1 upper control arm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.