Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Parts on order i will have them in a weeks time them start to fiddle and see how the difference ...
    Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Parts on order i will have them in a weeks time them start to fiddle and see how the difference helps the wheel movement

Naf
    Parts for the right side arrived. All i can say is wow they feel light...

Will do a weight comparison and try it out on the car...

Will keep you posted
    FuzzyLogic, barrok69 and kyle242gt like this.

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Unsprung Weight Reduction: 09-13 Forged Aluminum Knuckle?

Awesome Naf keep us posted

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Naf- I look forward to hearing how this works for you!

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Although I would LOVE for this to work, I'm not going to hold my breath. It would be too convenient for it to work out for us.

dmax/04v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): A VEEE

After all the mod hell we go through with these cars, I think we're due for one gimmie. Just one....

Naf

Upon initial inspection, it looks like the upper arm mount is plug and play. I noticed the same holes in roughly the same location. I weighed the knuckle and it came in at 5.3kg. I forgot to weigh the upper arm mount but will weigh it when i get the other side later on.

Will weigh the stock knuckle once i have it removed from the car.

Things you will need to buy from Luke are #1, #9, and #10 thus far.

I will update you all once i know which other parts you will need...
    Attached Files

Naf

I weighed the original knuckle and it came in at 5.950kg, thats 650g heavier than the new one...Talk about diminishing returns. You need to drop about a grand for two pounds of weight...

Have to order the lower arm as well to fit the new knuckle.

As a dry fit, i have positive camber, but it all depends if the new lower arm sticks out more than the OEM. Also the new upper arm sweeps the top of the knuckle about an inch backwards givin it more negative caster.

So before you go for this, you need to order the upper arm, knuckle, new V2 calipers, and lower arm. Unless you are plannin to upgrade to the new V2, i wouldnt recommend this upgrade...

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

If the CTS-V and CTS control arms are the same, we should be able to pick up all three pieces for about $300 per side (1.43 lbs reduction per side, assuming the arms are the same weight). Out of curiosity, did you only get the knuckle, or did you order the control arms as well? If you didn't get the latter, I'll look into ordering used pieces and do some test fitting of my own.

Naf
    I ordered the upper unit and knuckle. Didn't think i would need the lower arm as well.

Luke is supplyin me all the parts as i dont trust used critical ones... U never know if they are bent

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

I'm curious to know whether there would be more clearance from the inner side of our wheels. My thought would be to run a larger front wheel with more backspace/offset.

Naf

I am already running a spacer on my wheels for i forgot to add it to my new offset. I am also runnin the GMPP longer studs so i am not too worried about pushing it out...

I am a little worried about the caster being further back, it may interfere with the steering or upward movement. Will have to wait another week for the part to arrive so i may fully try everythin out.

The idea is sound, and you will have a slight issue with the rear "horizontal" bolt, mine was tight during tightening, but the others went in with no issues...

Naf
    Luke shipped my missin parts out yesterday so about a week from now we will all see if this mod is possible

Naf
    I received the part to complete this mod.

First problem, you need a 18mm spacer for the rear bolt to be snug. Am havin my machine shop create two for me. The problem with a standard spacer is it may slip when tightened down. You need to create grip notches so when you tighten it down it holds snugly and doesnt move under pressure...

Second problem, the sway bar end links may need to be changed for instead of holdin onto the bottom arm it holds onto the knuckle. Will see how much longer they need to be...

The shock is pressed back a bit as well though i dont see that as a problem. But its a concern that should be noted...

The new lower arm is 49mm higher for the bushings which may allow a lower stance with no negative effect on the arm position.

Will report my findings as they come to light

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Can you provide a picture of the end link issue? That should be the easiest to solve, given the wide selection of aftermarket parts.

I'm mostly concerned about "pressing back" the shock. What do you mean? Are you saying that the mounting points are located further inboard?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.