Cadillac Owners Forum banner
8K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  c5racr1 
#1 ·
I know we have a couple of shifter threads going now, but I wanted to start a new thread specific to my shifter installation and the fun that was had last night.

First, as others have said, I would like to meet the genius that designed this set up. Can you say PITA? Definitely not like the BMWs and Audis I've done in the past. Well, let's start by saying that I used wheel ramps and jack stands, and it took longer than two hours - probably closer to 4 hours including breaks and cleanup. In retrospect I probably should have used four jack stands. I will also say that I am no SAE certified mechanic, just some guy with instructions, some common sense and basic hand tools - enough stuff to be dangerous.

I decided to start with the inside stuff. Removing the boot, foam insulation, and the nuts & bolts inside the car was pretty straightforward, but did they have to use locktite on the two bolts that are hardest to reach? Looking at my stock shifter, it already had rust on it??? One tidbit that might help marginally if you must use wheel ramps, don't remove these bolts before you lower the drive shaft, as the shifter mechanism really gets in the way of that top bolt. If you can't turn your rear wheels, like me, then it does get in the way.

Next crawling under the car, after a break of course - American Chopper, I Robot bike was on. Ok, back to work, having just installed my exhaust a couple of weeks ago, removal was pretty simple, but heavy.

I did not remove the entire driveshaft just lowered and moved it out of the way. I did rest it rather close to the bottom of the car on a jackstand, being mindful of the 8 degree rule. Like I said, the top bolt on the drive shaft was the most difficult just because I had a tough time getting a wrench on the nut and bolt.

Removal of the transimission mount and lowering the transmission was next. I had a tough time figuring out how low I could/should go with the transmission. I used a floor jack and put some foam between the strut bar and the engine cover. I lowered the floor jack and watched the engine at the same time. It took a few trys to get it lowered enough, and even then I think I had some room.

Now on to the shifter removal. The clip on right fork of the shifter is easy, relatively speaking. For me the one on the left was trouble. As Martin said, I decided to remove the solenoid for additional access - I didn't think my hands were that big. The one in the middle was easy once I could actually see it. I ended having to lower the transmission even more to actually get the entire shifter assembly out - more trial and error.

Installing the Katech into the shifter assembly was not too bad. I used plenty of Mobil 1 grease when I put it back together to aid in a smooth operation. I did manage to tear the rubber boot that goes around the bottom of the shifter slightly getting it over the bottom of the Katech - not a big issue, I hope. I installed the urethane bushings that I got from Martin - Thanks Martin. That took a bit just to get the metal around the urethane, but it was accomplished.

I won't bore you with the installation, as this has already dragged on, and it basically just the reverse.

In summary the shifter feels great in the car - nice short, crisp shifts. I do have one concern and that is the amount of noise associated with it. I suppose it is normal, but I don't really know for sure. Anyone who has the Katech or other short shifters please chime in. But all in all, I would say it is definitely worth it. One word of caution, if you don't like to work on cars - get dirty and what not, or in general, you're just not sure, then take it to a shop with a lift, and pay someone $100 to do it for you.

Good luck and please feel free to make any comments - positive or negative. Also, I would appreciate any feedback on the noise issue.

Rich

See less See more
#2 ·
Rich,

Good write up on your experience with installing the Katech short shifter.
I was just about to go ahead and order one of the Katech's after the long wait for the UUC. But just as I was about to give up on the UUC it looks like the wait is almost over with them taking my pre-order.
I have heard that the Katech does transmit quite a bit of noise through the shifter, but with Katech's great name I would think it is going to make a great shifter for anyone who buys them. You just have to deal with a bit of noise, so turn the radio up just a little bit louder and enjoy the positive shifts..:cheers:
Bill-05-V

05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers and Cags Eliminator,
K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust, BMR Toe Rods/Trailing arms .... More Mods coming..
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

#3 ·
Now you are an expert....Only thing I would add for everyone is to put some moly lube on the end of the joint where the shifter rod connects, also on the gimball. It seems caddy installed all of this stuff dry. Pins that hold the shifter are aluminum. Lube them too!

#4 ·
A couple V owners need to get together and do a UUC-Katech comparision. Without seeing them both I would lean to the UUC first because they have more experience in that area. Now if it was engine mods, Katech would be my choice. If they were both the same price, the choice would be harder also.

#5 ·
Dave's V said:
A couple V owners need to get together and do a UUC-Katech comparision. Without seeing them both I would lean to the UUC first because they have more experience in that area. Now if it was engine mods, Katech would be my choice. If they were both the same price, the choice would be harder also.
The UUC has an isolated shaft. Its not one peice . I cannot tell any difference between it and the stocker (no added noise) except a bit more vibration in hand. (very minimal).

#6 ·
lasstss said:
Now you are an expert....Only thing I would add for everyone is to put some moly lube on the end of the joint where the shifter rod connects, also on the gimball. It seems caddy installed all of this stuff dry. Pins that hold the shifter are aluminum. Lube them too!
I wondered about lubing the connections including the other two that go to the transmission, but like you said Cadillac didn't use any, so I didn't either.

#7 ·
Dave's V said:
One nice thing about the Katech, to me anyway, is the stalk is shorter. I think the stock height is too high for the arm rest and for my arm. If you get the UUC, you can always just cut of 1/2 inch or so and thread the shaft. Also, the threaded shifter handle works great, and I can almost guarantee it won't come off during hard shifts or any other time for that matter unless you want it to.

The Katech is a good piece just the noise issue. Also, I agree with Florian, that the shifts feel a lot shorter than 35% that Katech says.

#8 ·
I just installed the katech too, I got the one with the stainless steel shaft, I have had shifters with the aluminum shaft before and had to put weights on it to get it right. the stainless shaft is quite heavy but I do not have any unsual noises it is just as quiet as before. I have also read that the aluminum shaft may cause a vibration, Is this what you are reffering to?

#12 ·
c5racr1 said:
I just installed the katech too, I got the one with the stainless steel shaft, I have had shifters with the aluminum shaft before and had to put weights on it to get it right. the stainless shaft is quite heavy but I do not have any unsual noises it is just as quiet as before. I have also read that the aluminum shaft may cause a vibration, Is this what you are reffering to?
I also have the stainless steel, and it weighs a ton, compared to stock. I will crawl under the car later today and do some investigating, maybe I didn't do something or did do something that I shouldn't have. Hmmm....

#15 ·
I think the problem is going to be because it is not isolated, I think I am going to put the stocker back in, without isolation I am going to hear every noise inside ths transmission is going to be transmitted into the interor of the car. good theory but does not work very well in practice. I hope ican salavage the stock pieces!

#17 ·
c5racr1 said:
I think the problem is going to be because it is not isolated, I think I am going to put the stocker back in, without isolation I am going to hear every noise inside ths transmission is going to be transmitted into the interor of the car. good theory but does not work very well in practice. I hope ican salavage the stock pieces!
Let me know if you need any hardware. I assume you drilled out the rivits? I have special screws for it N/C..

#21 ·
I live a 10 minute drive from Katech.....how lucky am I!!!! They had my car for most of the Winter months. They installed the aluminum shifter, "special" cam, stainless headers, no cats, BB exhaust, 160 degree thermostat, new springs in front....lowering by about an inch and a half, fixed the wheel hop, etc., etc. Yesterday, a kid with a "hot" Mustang wanted to "play".....I passed him in fourth gear @ around 100 - 110 (he was starting to go "backwards."

Anyway.....the car is completely different and a real joy to drive.

Great Shop and good, honest folks there.:burn:

#22 ·
BUILDINGCTSAMG said:
Katech seems like a really excellant company...it maybe nice if someone doing business with them mentions this forum and asks them to become a supporting vendors. I know I always seem to trust supporting vendors more, and they can answer real techie questions here
I e-mailed them about a month or so ago, gave them the link to this forum.
I told them this was a great site with some great people and plenty of interest on lowering kits, headers, and shifters. I told them if they set up group buys and had resonable prices that I would think that they could move some product.
They never got back to me, but I have seen them on here a few times. I was interested in getting their longtube headers, their lowering kit, and their shifter.
As of now I have ordered other headers, and a different shifter, all that is left for right now is the lowering kit. But I am not holding my breath for them to get back to me..:rant2:

Bill-05-V

Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers and Cags Eliminator,
K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust, BMR Toe Rods/Trailing arms, more mods coming..

#23 ·
Flyboy,

Sounds like you live in a great place to be so close to Katech. You have some very nice mods, what did they do to cure the wheel hop? And did you go with the H&R springs with the QA1 shocks to get the 1 1/2" of lowering? That is the set up I would like to go with.:worship:
Anyway enjoy your V an welcome to this great forum..:welcome:

Bill-05-V

K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust, BMR Toe Rods/Trailing arms, more mods coming..

#24 ·
HDMLNIUM said:
I e-mailed them about a month or so ago, gave them the link to this forum.
I told them this was a great site with some great people and plenty of interest on lowering kits, headers, and shifters. I told them if they set up group buys and had resonable prices that I would think that they could move some product.
They never got back to me, but I have seen them on here a few times. I was interested in getting their longtube headers, their lowering kit, and their shifter.
As of now I have ordered other headers, and a different shifter, all that is left for right now is the lowering kit. But I am not holding my breath for them to get back to me..:rant2:

Hey, I am sorry for not getting back with you. Don't mean to blow anybody off, but I get swamped with emails and messages. Anyway's, I will go through all my emails tommorrow and answer each one of them. On the lowering kit, we are still awaiting the springs, they said 60 days a couple of weeks ago, but we all know how that one goes. As soon as we have something available, we will post it on our website. Oh yeah, and could an administator please pm me with a sponsorship package, thanks.

#25 ·
Katech,

Glad to see you are reading the posts..:thumbsup:
And I do undestand you guys getting swamped and it can be hard to reply to each and every email or post.
I was really thinking hard on your true long tube headers with no cats, I think they will make the most power of any out there. I ended up jumping in on the B&B headers and high flow cats group buy. And with the shifter I ended up ordering the UUC short shifter. But I am waiting for your lowering kit, I think it is the best combo that I have seen on a CTS-V and that will be worth the wait as long as you guys price them to sell. I know a lot of your prices are high, but as the saying goes "You get what you paid for"
Katech is a great and well known name out there and I think all of the products you guys make or choose to use will just make the CTS-V that much better.
One more thing, What do you use for a wheel hop kit, or how did you address it??
Thanks, and I hope to see you around the forum more and get setting up some group buys before everyone buys all the parts they need from other Supporting Vendors..;) :cheers: :welcome:

Bill-05-V

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.