pig in slop - Page 25
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, pig in slop in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I haven't replaced my timing chain yet. I'm gathering all the parts to replace/rebuild my entire steering system. I'm looking ...
    philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: pig in slop

I haven't replaced my timing chain yet. I'm gathering all the parts to replace/rebuild my entire steering system. I'm looking into doing the timing chain and oil pump and possibly 2-piece timing cover. I'm finding it much more cost effective to rebuild the damn rack myself. I've spent the following thus far:

$50 - steering hose (hp)
    $60 - inner & outer tie rods
    $25 - left/right bellow boots
    $120 - ps pump
    $45 - complete steering rack rebuild kit

I'm at roughly $300 so I don't see spending another $200 for a total of $500 and then waiting a month to receive it - not to mention shipping charges. I was willing to pay to have someone else do it to avoid the hassle. I'm not comfortable getting a refurbished rack either. I've serviced/rebuilt hundreds of pumps/hydraulics, gas turbines etc back in my Navy days. If all goes well I might do a write-up.

To answer your question I personally would go with OEM sprockets - just to have a fresh set. Cloyes makes an adjustable cam sprocket set part no: CLY9-3158AZ. That is above anything I need or will use.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

So, this package arrived today with a big, "CAUTION - HEAVY PACKAGE - 85 lbs" sticker on it.

Inside was a black, Darth Vader-esque football of death weighing 82.6 lbs. Upon opening it, I found a Strange Engineering S-Trac (35 spline) with a Pro-Iron case. On the end, there was a handwritten tag with my name and a date on it. Apparently, this little guy's birthdate was 12/11/2013. Happy birthday, you monstrous differential.

After removing the incredibly heavy packaging and weighing it again, it came in at 75.4 lbs. I'll keep updating the weight as more parts arrive, and provide a delta weight as parts go out. I also purchased a 1/4" thick plate of 4130 chromoly steel and 304 stainless steel. There are a couple of professional welding shops in the area, and I hope they can use one plate or the other to weld to the subframe where I have to cut out a chunk to make room for the axles. Frankly, not knowing what kind of steel the subframe is made of freaks me out a little--successfully welding dissimilar materials depends on knowing what materials you're welding.

verywhitedevil likes this.

Wow, that looks sweet! I know you must be excited - I would be! When do you think you will have it installed?

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    Wow, that looks sweet! I know you must be excited - I would be! When do you think you will have it installed?
    I'm tentatively excited. Chris @ Geforce Engineering indicated that he would try to get me the complete package by Christmas. If it doesn't arrive by then, I'll probably have to take a couple of days off from work to get it installed in January. Last I heard, they planned to begin welding the case today (Friday).

Things to do: find a qualified welder in the area (not a hard thing to find, given the concentration of trades at my location), stock up on food, and steel myself for an outdoors installation with only hand tools, a Harbor Freight transmission jack, snow/ice, and sub-20 degree weather.

Do you think I should start a "Hamster with a Carrot" version of your thread to cover my 9" IRS and fuel system installation, or just continue with this thread? Either way, I'd still like to consolidate our combined information on the fuel system into a single post/thread, eventually.

The cold weather sounds painful since you don't have a nice clean and warm garage - I consider myself fortunate to have that. I even drink COLD beer in my garage despite the nip of the outdoors while I wrench on my project cars.

I chose the 'pig in slop' thread name based on my experience in the Navy - coveralls, a lot of parts, little direction, and just a big mess to put together. I think there might be a lot of 'shadow' followers in this thread - it has a lot of views. There is nothing wrong with killing this thread and starting a 'pig in slop part II' lol.

My intent was to show the progression and thought process - raw, undefined, and open discussion. Kind of a journey into somebody's garage.

I've enjoyed all that I learned and ordered many parts based on suggestions in this thread. If you are about to break down your V1 and begin major upgrades, I would be interested following the progression either in this thread or another. Call it whatever you like.

I chose the 'pig in slop' thread name based on my experience in the Navy - coveralls, a lot of parts, little direction, and just a big mess to put together. I think there might be a lot of 'shadow' followers in this thread - it has a lot of views. There is nothing wrong with killing this thread and starting a 'pig in slop part II' lol.
    I'm good with continuing this thread. I was wondering whether new people would have the time necessary to read the entire thread and extract the useful information therein. The counterpoint is that a couple of people mentioned to me that the first 10 pages or so are all worth the trip, which is unusual for a thread. High praise for what you started here.

I know for a fact that there are a couple of Navy guys (possibly squids) here. Did you serve, or were you working for a military contractor?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    I know for a fact that there are a couple of Navy guys (possibly squids) here. Did you serve, or were you working for a military contractor?
    I was enlisted - 10yrs. Worked in engineering and something was always broken - very much hands on environment, fast pace.

Just ordered Edelbrock 4254 Timing Cover Jegs has it a little cheaper but shipping was to be in January. Amazon has 2 day shipping and I want to install it over the holidays.

edelbrock-4254-gm-ls-1-two-piece-timing-cover-2.gif

The cam sensor is on the backside of the LS6 V1s so this should fit like a glove. PISNUOFF mentioned to me that the cover has to be slightly modified for the Melling oil pumps but a dremel should do it very easily. I believe the LS2s have the cam sensor in front - Edelbrock 4255 has that.

This way I don't have to remove the crank damper etc to change out a cam when the time comes. I wasn't expecting to invest heavily on the LS6 in favor of a new block but I haven't any plans for that just yet and my crystal ball says that is much later in 2014. I may try to boost the LS6. A twin turbo set-up has very little resale value but the Procharger and other bolt-on superchargers always have a good market. I'm looking into the potential of the LS6 and it is very responsive and efficient with boost - again still undecided at this point. Just need to get it back on the road after I try my hand at rebuilding the rack - voodoo offered some guidance if I get stuck.

I wouldn't invest in the LS6 platform. I know you're probably impatient, like me. But that motor doesn't have enough displacement in and of itself to make power off-boost. Even before you lower its compression ratio to 9:1. In other words, I disagree that it'll be responsive as you (and I) would like it to be.

I would do a 416 CID LS3, if compatibility with your existing accessories is a concern. The block is mechanically stronger, more efficient, and relatively cheap ($5500ish with Callies forged internals). And it'll support better heads. Once my finances build up, I'm going to be contacting a couple of my favorite shops to get quotes on a 416 CID LS3, 427 LSX, and 427 RHS short block. I'd like to avoid the weight of the iron 427 LSX, but it's hard to swallow the $4500 price of an aluminum RHS block.

For reference, the weights are (linked source below):

LS1/2...........106
    RHS..............110
    LSX..............230

http://ls1tech.com/forums/16417917-post1.html

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem...s3_engine.html

That extra 125 lbs is going to make our already "meh" 54/46 weight distribution worse. And you have to think about the weight of the intercooler and various accessories once you go FI. According to my notes, the TVS2300 comes in at 125 lbs--85 lbs for Box 1 (supercharger) and 40 lbs for Box 2 (accessories). Based on the large intercooler and paralleled marine bilge pumps I plan on using, I'm guessing my 3.3L/4.0L Whipple build will come in at significantly more. And it'll carry significantly more coolant volume.

For example, if you were to take a stock, 3850 lb CTS-V1 and add 250 lbs to the nose (a conservative assumption, since you can't actually put all of the weight that far forward), you'd end up with a 57/43 weight distribution and 4100 lb curb weight. Unfortunately, since most weight reduction opportunities on this car involve getting weight out of the front half of the chassis, there really isn't a great way to recover from that. Even the most heroic weight distribution efforts would, at best, move 50 lbs to the rear. The only things I could see making a perceptible difference are shorter motor mounts, even lower ride height, and replacement of the stock 80 lb seats with 15 lb Recaro Pole Positions (33 lbs installed with aluminum hardware).

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    I wouldn't invest in the LS6 platform. I know you're probably impatient, like me. But that motor doesn't have enough displacement in and of itself to make power off-boost. Even before you lower its compression ratio to 9:1. In other words, I disagree that it'll be responsive as you (and I) would like it to be.
    Not exactly an accurate statement.

I'm leaning towards the LS3 for replacement but still exploring some options. The local speedshop is not in love with the big iron. They didn't get into specifics but weight and efficiency was prime concern. It wasn't a matter of how much boost an engine could handle.

Their racecars seem to handle 700-800 rwhp on the track very well. I've never driven anything with that much on the streets. I was told much more over that threshold and it's unusable power for the street.

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Not exactly an accurate statement.
    I don't want to spread misinformation, so, if you think I misspoke, please explain!

Scoggin Dickey 04-25-2011 02:31 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tippy (Post 14827283)
    LS3 has variable valve timing so you can't run a monster cam. Should be pretty damned smooth and get great mileage. More powerful engine for sure. L92 heads are really good as well. These are what led me to getting one, of course it is in the classifieds now but that is another story.

Hope that helps
    No VVT on an LS3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 14827310)
    I have seen new ls6 crates for $3295 but I forget where. The ls6 is a awesome engine all the way around, I have one in my camaro (check the sig for performance). The ls3 I'm sure is little stronger....probally in the range of 30hp more.
    That was us. We are now out of them and likely won't be able to find anymore for that price. They are quickly disappearing forever

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icemanrd19 (Post 14827651)
    why dont you have a ls2 listed?
    LS2 is discontinued as a crate engine

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimmy P (Post 14829066)
    Scoggin Dickey Performance tends to post about some LS6 crate engine sale for under $3500 from time to time. They are a sponsor on this forum. Call them and see what their current pricing is.
    Thanks!

To the OP. The LS3 has replaced the LS6 for good reason. The TQ and powerband will be much better suited for a driver over an LS6 simply due to displacement. The power numbers look similar, but the actual performance is quite a bit different.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ls...-vs-ls3-2.html

There's a little internet wisdom from LS1tech. I've hopped back into the s2k rocket while the V is down for repairs and can definitely see the difference in power. The V stops making power 65-90mph around the 5krpm range, just really slow and lazy. Gears 1-3 strong tq but after that..../yawn. I gotta look up valve float and see what that is all about.

I've hopped back into the s2k rocket while the V is down for repairs and can definitely see the difference in power. The V stops making power 65-90mph around the 5krpm range, just really slow and lazy. Gears 1-3 strong tq but after that..../yawn. I gotta look up valve float and see what that is all about.
    Valve float is not a problem for your build. If it was, you'd see a characteristic dip on your dyno sheet. Example:

Instead, your dyno sheet indicates that, despite your exhaust mods, your car is having trouble breathing. The flattening horsepower line above 4800 RPM is especially telling--even at this low power level. Even when I brought the "best case" off the shelf CAI parts combination (Lingenfelter airbox + Volant intake tube) to Slowhawk Performance, Don Kinder pointed to the sum total of several dyno pulls and strongly suggested that I toss the Volant intake tube because it wasn't flowing well above 5500 RPM. As a result, I built my own 4.0" ID intake tube using HPS 4-ply silicon. According to our discussion, the end result should be 430 RWHP, but I'll never be able to show that, since those gains will be more than offset by the Strange Engineering 9" S-Trac.

The one other thing I'd like to show you is the following post by veee8, who put his LS6 CTS-V on a dyno at every possible opportunity. Notice how he jumped 11 RWHP with the K&N intake, which is widely considered to be the worst (and I mean "heat soaks so bad, the stock intake is better" definition of worst) OTS CAI solution:

Quote Originally Posted by veee8
    Time line with my 04 CTS-V LS6
    Bone stock 325rwhp
    + Tune 340rwhp
    + K&N CAI 351rwhp
    + Kook's 1 7/8" LT's and lighter steel flywhweel clutch 387 rwhp.
    + 402 with LS3 topend 484 rwhp
    + TF 235's 243-251 cam 518 rwhp
    + Forged LS7 and 2.9L Whipple.......TBD...
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/16156576-post15.html
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomete...-sae-rwhp.html

In my opinion, you should be even with his 387 RWHP results right now (minus the power necessary to turn that Ford Racing 8.8"). In theory, if he had installed the Kooks headers before the CAI instead of the other way around, his gains might have been piddling. That would support another theory of mine--namely, that the bulk of the arguments regarding CAIs, headers, and exhausts are skewed according to due to differences in component installation ordering, combined with a lack of credit attributed to supporting modifications, and common installation/design pitfalls (e.g. poor IATs due to badly designed or installed airboxes).

Anyway, I think you stand to gain 35 to 45 RWHP if you have time and money (~$800) to spare to do the following:
    1. Buy a 90mm LS7 throttle body (linkage), which has a stronger motor than the LS6 and LS2 TBs (particularly useful under boosted conditions). Have it professionally ported. Don't let them touch the blade.
    2. Buy a Lingenfelter CAI, which is basically an expensive kit containing a trashcan airbox and a S&B filter. Or build your own trashcan airbox with rubber seals, top and bottom, and buy a filter separately. Shield the outer walls of the airbox using DEI Reflect-A-Cool or equivalent.
    3. Replace your existing IAT sensor with a more responsive sensor and relocate it to the filter, inside the airbox.
    4. Build a 3.50" or 3.75" ID intake tube.
    Useful posts from my IAT relocate thread on LS1Tech:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/16592376-post14.html
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/16596130-post20.html
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/16792051-post32.html
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/17486619-post35.html

The IAT relocate worked pretty damn well. During the on-the-road portion of my tune at Slowhawk, average temperature rise over ambient measured by HP Tuners from the IAT sensor in the Lingenfelter airbox was only +6°F (e.g. if ambient was 87°F, IAT pulled from the ECU was 93°F). During extended stops, we saw +18°F. During aggressive acceleration (i.e.: near WOT), +3°F.

And here's the old LS1Tech thread regarding the 4.0" HPS silicon intake tube:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...take-tube.html
    http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/

Frankly, I would avoid directly following in my footsteps on the 4.0" HPS intake tube build, because you have to be able to clearance the tube to clear the power steering pump pulley, plus you have to build up the area around the smaller MAF to be able to effectively clamp the larger tube onto it. Also, silicon sucks. It's floppy and requires very thick walls (e.g. 4-ply) to support any kind of boost. My next intake will be built from 4.0" round carbon fiber tubing from Dragon Plate.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

I have enjoyed reading this monster of a post even though most all of it is well past my fiscal and mechanical abilities. I always continue to read these so I gain as much knowledge as I can for when I go in and start doing my build or supporting mods. Everybody that contributes to these big time posts are a great help and resource. Please keep continuing with it and Fuzzy, that diff looks insane!

BDV

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy-V View Post
    I have enjoyed reading this monster of a post even though most all of it is well past my fiscal and mechanical abilities. I always continue to read these so I gain as much knowledge as I can for when I go in and start doing my build or supporting mods. Everybody that contributes to these big time posts are a great help and resource. Please keep continuing with it and Fuzzy, that diff looks insane!

BDV
    Thanks! Glad to contribute.

Fuzzy, that is a very thorough response - you even pulled my dyno sheet! I def. agree there is trapped power in there. I remember the dyno session ended before grooming for max power. I had connection issues with HPTuners and they were scrambling to prevent it from locking up. I remember the tuner saying he could get it to 365rwhp but too risky and needed to troubleshoot his hardware.

Anyways, good stuff! I'll refer to your post when I get to that point but engine/FI coming in 2014. As fast as that s2k is (~535rwhp) I raced my neighbors 2014 whipple charged Mustang GT this morning - turbo lag, I lost too much on the jump. It's another reminder to catch up to the neighborhood competition - haha!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.