pig in slop - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, pig in slop in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by philistine That's a fine lookin tunnel shield! You even wrapped the bell housing. My technique was to ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: pig in slop

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    That's a fine lookin tunnel shield! You even wrapped the bell housing. My technique was to work from the center then outwards but that is easier said then done.
    Psh. Your job was basically perfect--mine is definitely serviceable, but much uglier. Most of the problems I had smoothing out the tunnel shield were associated with the Thermo-Tec layer beneath.

In retrospect, I should have folded each thermal/dampening layer into a upside-down V, with the adhesive facing upward. Once the tip of the V was perfectly aligned down the center of the transmission tunnel, then you could expand it outward.

This should make a big difference in terms of heat and noise transfer into the cabin. The whole area sounds dead as hell.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    This should make a big difference in terms of heat and noise transfer into the cabin. The whole area sounds dead as hell.
    That's awesome! I'm putting my car back together during the week so hopefully I get to test it out this weekend. I read the mile long thread on the Revshift transmount so I'm wondering if more will take this route if it quiets things down considerably.

So my vacuum manifold comes in...

I ordered black and I get friggin gold bling! So Amazon corrects it by sending me another the same color. I snatched a black one from ebay and it was $10 cheaper.

Anyways, this is going to be the port for the Hobbs and all the other crap I need for the turbos - just imagine it in black, they come in all sorts of colors.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I bought that DEI tunnel shield stuff (thanks for the tip) so when I put put my new clutch in, I'll report back and see how much it helped.

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

agreed - thanks for the heads up on the DEI Tunnel Shield - I installed it when my trans was out last week and it works really well (a little hard to work with but...)

By the way, the Thermo-Tec 14005 1/2" sleeve is great for protecting your remote clutch bleeder line. Highly recommended. I wish it was 18" longer, for aesthetic purposes, but it still reaches from the slave cylinder fitting all the way to the top of the engine bay. That's all you really need.

The plastic sleeving on my braided line had melted in one place where it passed within 3" of my DEI titanium-wrapped headers. I'm glad I caught this in time.

Quote Originally Posted by jclayc View Post
    agreed - thanks for the heads up on the DEI Tunnel Shield - I installed it when my trans was out last week and it works really well (a little hard to work with but...)
    Did it help a lot with noise/vibes?

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Seems anything passing by the headers is toast whether the headers are wrapped or not. I use some hi-temp flex loom in a lot of the areas doing electrical custom work and have great success using this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's so cheap, I stock up on 1/4", 3/8", 1/2". Not bad to have handy if you shred the OEM flex loom during a clutch install. Then put a few wraps of the DEI cooltape in some key areas.

I am also very curious with the driving impressions with the DEI tunnel shield and those that used a resonance barrier in conjunction with it. I only read some of the feedback on the Miata forums for those that track their cars and it greatly reduced the temperatures on those platforms the byproduct was a significantly quieter cabin - heh but that's comparing an already pretty quiet Cadillac to a noisy roadster.
    FuzzyLogic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    I am also very curious with the driving impressions with the DEI tunnel shield and those that used a resonance barrier in conjunction with it. I only read some of the feedback on the Miata forums for those that track their cars and it greatly reduced the temperatures on those platforms the byproduct was a significantly quieter cabin - heh but that's comparing an already pretty quiet Cadillac to a noisy roadster.
    My car should be back together this afternoon, and I'll give you what I can. My back seat is still out, so it's loud in there, but I have a McLeod RXT, so I should be able to gauge the effectiveness of the sound dampening via the floater rattle at idle. The only place where your impressions might not match mine are where the bellhousing comes into play--I wanted a couple of layers there because of the beforementioned twin-disc rattle characteristic.

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I don't have any verifiable way to gauge whether the noise was reduced - mine's pretty loud inside with no carpet but I think it reduced noise/vibrations just a bit. Heat was my #1 concern and my tunnel (no carpet) went from too hot to comfortably touch to only a little warm.

Quote Originally Posted by jclayc View Post
    Heat was my #1 concern and my tunnel (no carpet) went from too hot to comfortably touch to only a little warm.
    That's what I'm excited about. In the summer, I have to run the A/C continuously to keep the cabin comfortable. The moment I turn it the A/C off, the engine/transmission/exhaust heat roasts the interior.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Frustrated. The pilot bearing would not come out. I broke both of the slide hammer attachments trying to get it out. I also tried to remove that stuck MM bolt with a bolt extractor bit and that failed too. So I'm still running with one OEM mount and one CS mount.

The tunnel looks good, but nowhere near as nice as yours. I also wrapped the bell housing:

This isnt the most high tec was to remove a pilot bearing but i used the wet paper trick on mine and it worked pretty well. maybe 3-4 sheets torn into small peices and hammered in there using an extension which fits into the pilot hole and in about 10 mins i had it out.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    This isnt the most high tec was to remove a pilot bearing but i used the wet paper trick on mine and it worked pretty well. maybe 3-4 sheets torn into small peices and hammered in there using an extension which fits into the pilot hole and in about 10 mins i had it out.
    What would you say about those articles that say not to do that?

Couple of random pictures. First, my Omega temperature strips came in. I'm going to see whether or not I need to wrap my exhaust to protect a carbon fiber driveshaft (a temporary holdover at best--there's a ceramic coated B&B exhaust on my wishlist). The temperature limit on carbon fiber is 250F, so these strips should tell me if I need to be worried.

I've also been trying out the Earl's 280040 speed bleeder on my remote clutch line. As of right now, I can't recommend it because I'm having trouble getting my clutch pedal back, but that might be due to the fact that I increased the torque on my pressure plate bolts to the full, McLeod recommended 35 ft-lbs. It may be a week or two before I know for certain what is to blame. As you can see in the picture below, I also picked up a magnetic fender cover, which has been great for working in the engine bay because a) I don't have to worry about the paint when leaning over the fender, and b) the strong magnets actually hold medium sized wrenches and bolts securely. I could probably drive off with those two wrenches stuck to the fender liner.

The above shows how I determine whether there are any bubbles left.

I drove around a little bit this morning--I'm going to post about this later, but the Revshift driveshaft coupler is an absolute no-go. Massive vibration above 21 mph. They shouldn't sell it. It's not their fault that our driveline is all messed up, but unless they can prove that the part works with the stock CTS-V IRS + Revshift/CS bushings, they should focus their efforts on other things.

Oh, and by the way, I can't hear the transmission. But let me get this clutch thing fixed and drive at speed before I develop full impressions.

What did you put on the inside of the CAI shield?

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

I would say that if you take your time, then you should be ok. some might say no for certain platforms but this is a trick older than many people writing these books.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    What did you put on the inside of the CAI shield?
    DEI Reflect-A-Cool on both sides with Cool Tape on the top edge. Fair warning: it's very, very hard to apply, and you need to degrease the living crap out of the plastic before this stuff will stick. If I had to do it again, I would use a couple sheets of Reflect-A-GOLD and create a template beforehand. Also, edging is very important--if the upper edge of the material isn't battened down, you'll destroy your handiwork when you install/remove the rubber gasket.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.