Katech Shifter/Corsa/Random Tech cats install - review and comments
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Katech Shifter/Corsa/Random Tech cats install - review and comments in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; This was the big weekend...Katech Shifter install, Corsa and Random Tech high-flow cat install. Let me say first that all ...
    Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Katech Shifter/Corsa/Random Tech cats install - review and comments

This was the big weekend...Katech Shifter install, Corsa and Random Tech high-flow cat install. Let me say first that all work was done by me (a pretty good wrench, and the head dyno guy at a VERY reputable Detroit area tuning house..they actually did the dyno testing on the CTS-VR and the C6 Z06) Day started at 10 am thinking it was a 3 hour job for all 3 items. 1st things first...baseline dyno.... 318HP, 316TQ....very unimpressive. (no sheets attached...sorry) next...remove stock cats, install Random tech highflows keep stock exhaust....add 7HP and 5TQ....nice..thinking to myself this is gonna get good with the Corsa...easier breathing = better HP/TQ numbers....WRONG!!! the Corsa actually killed the gains from the cats...I thought what a bunch of crap...the claim is 18-20 HP and I saw 0. (Dyno conditions were all equal..tranny temp/ambient temp/oil temp were all equal on the baseline/cat only/cat and corsa combo.) I will be going back to the dyno in a week or 2 to see if the computer was slow to recalibrate itself for the higher throughput and maybe validate then the Corsa claims. The dyno-master told me I could expect at least 10 w/new exhaust w/o any computer recalibration. With that said...the exhaust note with the corsa and random tech is fantastic. Dyno-master said it sounds like the new z06,,very burbley yet punch it and it sings...its a show stopper. (Note: at the BP on the way home from the weekend, got gas and when I started the V back up...all and I mean ALL heads turned to see what I had....that was cool.) Okay, back to the install stuff. The corsa is a VERY well designed and made product. Worth the money in my book and went together without issue...flawless, great worksmanship. Everything was there that I needed, but I might add my .02 and ask that they include new donuts for the front flanges with the kit...would make things easier. The Random Techs were Spectacular...the welds were sweet, the flanges were a good 5/8-3/4 thick, heavy duty stuff and they went right in with 0 issues. Now the Katech. I paid some good dough for this thing and Im not gonna say a lot of nice things about the install, but here goes. First off, what you pay for is a new stalk and some baubles that cost maybe 25 bux. I guess there is another 25 for the stalk as well...(dont lecture me about their time and engineering of product...I get that and it deserves money to account for it....but I think they get too much. Hey I paid for it, so who is the wiser????) Anyways GM ought to have their driveline engineers tarred and feathered....whomever designed this abortion apparantly never had to install one. The stock stalk feels rubbery for a reason, theres rubber all over it. When I took out the stock stalk, it was a rod maybe 1/2 inch diameter with rubber bonded to it then an outer sleeve over the rubber. You can actually put the stock shifter in a vice and rotate it about 45-60 degrees about the vertical axis. (shifter handle) The install of the Katech (or any shifter for that matter) includes having to put the car on a lift, pull the stock shifter knob and boot with the noise reducing material out of the passenger compartment, then remove the prop shaft (thats the thing that spins underneath the car when driving and it connects the tranny to the differential). The prop shaft is a 2 piece unit connected in the middle by a bearing support and the front tranny connector is a rubber mounted shaft connector, rear diff is straight metal to metal. So get your buddy to help hold things, undo the front tranny connection (3 bolts)...get a stand to support it so it doesnt sag more than 8 degrees (you could split the rubber boot around the middle bearing support and get garbage in the joint leading to early failure...the literature says so) then undo the rear dif connection (6 bolts) and have your pal grab that end, wiggle it loose while you hold the front half and presto 1/2 hour later the prop shaft is removed. Now comes the fun part....you need to remove the transmission support from the bottom of the car so that you can actually tilt the engine and tranny down about 10-15 degrees so that you can get at the articulating portion (arms) of the shifter that actually shift the gears. 15 minutes later, this is accomplished. Lower the tranny down, get a shop light to search for the connections, and presto the 3 armed monster is off the tranny and ready to be modified. The Katech shifter is only a new stalk, you use all the original parts (bushings, inserts, etc.) for the reinstall. The stock shift plate (where the shifter actually resides) is 2 plates sandwiched together and held by rivets. The Katech shifter has to go into this assembly, so you have to drill out the rivets (with supplied drill bit), put the new stalk in the place of the stock stalk and reassemble the 2 plates with the supplied bolts and nuts. Easy enough...10 minutes max. The re-install of the new shifter is about 45 minutes-1 hr bringing the total for 2 experienced guys to almost 2 1/2 hours. It was a pain in the ass to do...no fault to Katech, their shifter is LIGHTYEARS better than stock...there is no question about finding ANY gear and there are definately defined shift gates. The problem with the Katech shifter is that it is metal (alum or SS depending on which you buy) and you get tranny noise transmitted into the cabin as a result. The noise is only when you shift and not during cruising, I can live with that...the throw is MUCH shorter (claimed 30%, but I think at least 40% if not more and VERY precise). The bottom line on the Katech....pain in the ass install, excellent results, very noticable but very short lived noise on shifting and well....frankly worth every penny. The Random Techs....theyre beauties as well...no issues with install and you get 7 ponies to boot. The jury is still out on the Corsa....Ill post back soon on that. Hope this helps

Florian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Re: Katech Shifter/Corsa/Random Tech cats install - review and comments

no.....the thoughts just kept coming....Who the F*&^ cares about sentence and paragraph structure here....

Florian

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Ignore the reply from our frustrated English teacher
    Good write up. It helps. Since it took me two hours to get the Corsa exhaust on straight this weekend, I won't try the shifter on my own. But you do explain the reason for the sloppy shift on the stock stalk (nice play on words)

Tony

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

ok....lemme ask, why not headers?

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    This was the big weekend...Katech Shifter install, Corsa and Random Tech high-flow cat install. Let me say first that all work was done by me (a pretty good wrench, and the head dyno guy at a VERY reputable Detroit area tuning house..they actually did the dyno testing on the CTS-VR and the C6 Z06) Day started at 10 am thinking it was a 3 hour job for all 3 items. 1st things first...baseline dyno.... 318HP, 316TQ....very unimpressive. (no sheets attached...sorry) next...remove stock cats, install Random tech highflows keep stock exhaust....add 7HP and 5TQ....nice..thinking to myself this is gonna get good with the Corsa...easier breathing = better HP/TQ numbers....WRONG!!! the Corsa actually killed the gains from the cats...I thought what a bunch of crap...the claim is 18-20 HP and I saw 0. (Dyno conditions were all equal..tranny temp/ambient temp/oil temp were all equal on the baseline/cat only/cat and corsa combo.) I will be going back to the dyno in a week or 2 to see if the computer was slow to recalibrate itself for the higher throughput and maybe validate then the Corsa claims. The dyno-master told me I could expect at least 10 w/new exhaust w/o any computer recalibration. With that said...the exhaust note with the corsa and random tech is fantastic. Dyno-master said it sounds like the new z06,,very burbley yet punch it and it sings...its a show stopper. (Note: at the BP on the way home from the weekend, got gas and when I started the V back up...all and I mean ALL heads turned to see what I had....that was cool.) Okay, back to the install stuff. The corsa is a VERY well designed and made product. Worth the money in my book and went together without issue...flawless, great worksmanship. Everything was there that I needed, but I might add my .02 and ask that they include new donuts for the front flanges with the kit...would make things easier. The Random Techs were Spectacular...the welds were sweet, the flanges were a good 5/8-3/4 thick, heavy duty stuff and they went right in with 0 issues. Now the Katech. I paid some good dough for this thing and Im not gonna say a lot of nice things about the install, but here goes. First off, what you pay for is a new stalk and some baubles that cost maybe 25 bux. I guess there is another 25 for the stalk as well...(dont lecture me about their time and engineering of product...I get that and it deserves money to account for it....but I think they get too much. Hey I paid for it, so who is the wiser????) Anyways GM ought to have their driveline engineers tarred and feathered....whomever designed this abortion apparantly never had to install one. The stock stalk feels rubbery for a reason, theres rubber all over it. When I took out the stock stalk, it was a rod maybe 1/2 inch diameter with rubber bonded to it then an outer sleeve over the rubber. You can actually put the stock shifter in a vice and rotate it about 45-60 degrees about the vertical axis. (shifter handle) The install of the Katech (or any shifter for that matter) includes having to put the car on a lift, pull the stock shifter knob and boot with the noise reducing material out of the passenger compartment, then remove the prop shaft (thats the thing that spins underneath the car when driving and it connects the tranny to the differential). The prop shaft is a 2 piece unit connected in the middle by a bearing support and the front tranny connector is a rubber mounted shaft connector, rear diff is straight metal to metal. So get your buddy to help hold things, undo the front tranny connection (3 bolts)...get a stand to support it so it doesnt sag more than 8 degrees (you could split the rubber boot around the middle bearing support and get garbage in the joint leading to early failure...the literature says so) then undo the rear dif connection (6 bolts) and have your pal grab that end, wiggle it loose while you hold the front half and presto 1/2 hour later the prop shaft is removed. Now comes the fun part....you need to remove the transmission support from the bottom of the car so that you can actually tilt the engine and tranny down about 10-15 degrees so that you can get at the articulating portion (arms) of the shifter that actually shift the gears. 15 minutes later, this is accomplished. Lower the tranny down, get a shop light to search for the connections, and presto the 3 armed monster is off the tranny and ready to be modified. The Katech shifter is only a new stalk, you use all the original parts (bushings, inserts, etc.) for the reinstall. The stock shift plate (where the shifter actually resides) is 2 plates sandwiched together and held by rivets. The Katech shifter has to go into this assembly, so you have to drill out the rivets (with supplied drill bit), put the new stalk in the place of the stock stalk and reassemble the 2 plates with the supplied bolts and nuts. Easy enough...10 minutes max. The re-install of the new shifter is about 45 minutes-1 hr bringing the total for 2 experienced guys to almost 2 1/2 hours. It was a pain in the ass to do...no fault to Katech, their shifter is LIGHTYEARS better than stock...there is no question about finding ANY gear and there are definately defined shift gates. The problem with the Katech shifter is that it is metal (alum or SS depending on which you buy) and you get tranny noise transmitted into the cabin as a result. The noise is only when you shift and not during cruising, I can live with that...the throw is MUCH shorter (claimed 30%, but I think at least 40% if not more and VERY precise). The bottom line on the Katech....pain in the ass install, excellent results, very noticable but very short lived noise on shifting and well....frankly worth every penny. The Random Techs....theyre beauties as well...no issues with install and you get 7 ponies to boot. The jury is still out on the Corsa....Ill post back soon on that. Hope this helps

Florian
    I did the exact same install, nice write up. Give the car a chance to adjust. I thought it slower after the cats also but the difference is now apparent>>

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Florian -

IIRC, you shouldn't have to drop the rear of the driveshaft from the diff - at least I didn't the half dozen times I had my shifter out

The front should slide back enough to lower the tranny and the driveshaft being 2 parts allows you to swing it out of the way, again, from memory.

Good post and thanks for the insight.

Wild

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

What is everyone's thoughts on the aluminum vs. stainless Katech shifter? Which one did you get Florian?

Silver00Spike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is there an increased effort with the shifter?

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

Nice info Florian. I am very much intrigued and concerned about the lack of gains from the addition of the Corsa. Eagerly awaiting the update. I was sold on the Corsa, but after that post I may be settling for 6th gear drone and moving towards a B&B. I wish MagnaFlow would pick up the pace a bit and get their unit to the market place so we could see what they have to offer.

willsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Should have read stealth's post about the the dyno #'s on the Corsa, Nice sound no HP gains..
    That's what made me get the B&B!

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

On another forum, "Paul" picked up 11 rwh in humid conditions with the Corsa.

Even if it did nothing, I love it for the sound.

Tony

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 2004ctsv
    On another forum, "Paul" picked up 11 rwh in humid conditions with the Corsa.

Even if it did nothing, I love it for the sound.

Tony

BLUE: Baseline run, bone stock. It did 327 hp and 321 torque. I was pretty happy with those numbers after seeing a lot of stock cars dynoing lower.

RED: Put on the Corsa Catback and strapped it back down. After some disappointing results and realizing I had the AC on (operator error ) it made almost 338 hp but I had a spike in the torque number. Not sure what happened there but as you can see from the graph it picked up everywhere. I just can't say enough how pleased I am with the Corsa. The sound is great and the fit and finish with nothing less then perfect. It took longer to wash up then to install the exhaust. I would have been more then happy with the exhaust just from the sound even if it would have shown no gains.

GREEN: With the car still strapped down I put on the More Cold Air Induction. It made just over 344 hp peak and picked up nice power and torque over 4000rpms. It was a very smooth install except trying to remove the factory rubber duct. It fit very nice and surprisingly not loud at all. I think the induction will show better results have running the car a while and letting the computer recalibrate. I just made 2 pull after the install, it was already 10pm.

Overall I'm very please with these 2 mods. I picked up 17 hp and 17 ftlb of torque with less the 2 hours of work. All runs were made at about 190 coolant temps. Next up I think I might try tweaking the tuning a bit.

Thay have a graph there also. Corsa added 11 hp as 2004CTSV posted

HDMLNIUM is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V SOLD /// 2009 CTS-V own

Great write up, I enjoyed it..

I have been thinking about the Katech shifter since the UUC hasn't been released yet. So you think it was worth every penny, and would buy it again?
    Thanks,
    Bill-05-V

05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
    Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers and Cags Eliminator,
    K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust, BMR Toe Rods/Trailing arms .... More Mods coming..
    Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

To answer the Q's:
    1.) No headers cause theres a maggie in my future...
    2.) as for not having to drop the rear end...the reason for doing so is not to bend the driveshaft more than the recommended 8 degrees. you could technically do only the front and it would be a lot easier...but I just followed the directions (which I found out came right from the GM Online Service site, open to those who pay the $$'s for it. The diagrams are even copied)
    3.) There is more effort required, but not that much more...youll like jamming it into gear...its kinda manly.
    4.) I hope the car adjusts to the cats/Corsa combo.
    5.) I think Id buy it again....yeah.

Thats all for now. BTW the English teacher can bite my balls...I made it more readable this time.

Florian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.