How to: Widen your rear wheels
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How to: Widen your rear wheels in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Haven't done it yet - still trying to get a hold of some wheels - but I found a reputiable ...
    Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

How to: Widen your rear wheels

Haven't done it yet - still trying to get a hold of some wheels - but I found a reputiable shop that'll do it... here is the plan:

The Shop
    Eric Vaughn Machine
    Monrovia, CA 91016
    phone: (626) 358-6413

Eric Vaughn has been around for years. He widens and narrows custom wheels for street rods and trucks. He is pretty "famous" in the wheel world. His wheels have been featured many times in the various hotrod magazines:
    http://www.realwheelscalifornia.com/contents.html
    http://www.customclassictrucks.com/...37_0310_32truc/
    http://www.calrods.com/feature/aug03.cfm
    http://www.customclassictrucks.com/...vehicles/20599/
    http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/43138/
    http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/52859/

Talked to Eric a few times... seems like a very knowledgeable guy. His shop widens ~100 wheels a week - lots of drag and road-racers looking for wider wheels. He says he has never had a failure.
    He does not cut the wheel in the middle and add an additional 'band' (2 weld seams) like most places do. Instead, he cuts the inside of the wheel off and welds on a brand new "wheel blank" from an aftermarket 3-piece wheel vendor (Budnik wheels) - thus 1 weld seam, and he says he can widen *any* wheel. He can widen to any size to the 1/1000 of an inch.
    Two week turn around time... and costs $300 a wheel for 18" wheels. (Didn't ask about a GP).

Here's a good shop for spacers: http://www.wheelspacer.com All custom work, hubcentric 6x115 spacers; ~$30 each.

How wide?
    After doing some fairly precise measuring, i came up with:
    Wheels only: +13/16" wider -> 9.31" wheel
    Wheels + spacer: +15/16" wider -> 9.44" wheel
    Wheels + spacer + wheel lugs: +1 5/16" wider -> 9.81" wheel
    All with 275/40/18 tires... tire clearance is not an issue.

Wheels only
    The maximum the wheels can be widened without using a spacer is 13/16". I dont believe you can go wider... the problem is the inside lip of the wheel hitting the trailing arm, all the other suspension pieces are over 1" from the wheel. I did talk to BMR, they said their trailing arms would not give any more clearance.

Wheels + spacer
    The maximum the wheels can be widened with a spacer is 15/16". The maximum spacer size I believe can be safely used is 1/8" (13/16" + 1/8" spacer = 15/16"). I tried a 1/4" spacer, and the wheel lugs are not long enough. A good rule of thumb is 7 full turns of the lug nuts, with a 1/4" spacer you get 4-5 turns.

1/4" spacer:

Exposed threads on lug nuts:

But the wheels look good pushed out 1/4"... they fill up the wheel well nicely:

Wheels + spacer + wheel lugs
    The ultimate widened wheel is +1 5/16". You'll need a 1/2" spacer and longer wheel lugs. (13/16" + 1/2" spacer = 1 5/16"). I believe pushing the wheels out 1/2" will get them flush with the fenders. But I have no idea where to get longer wheel lugs from.

The longer wheel lug route is too much work and hassle for me. If I do this, i'll get 9.44" wheels made and use an 1/8" spacer... perfect for 275/40/18 tires!

YMMV, measure your own wheel clearance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: How to: Widen your rear wheels

Random pictures of a guy who got his Lexus wheels widened 2" from Eric Vaughn:

Silver00Spike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

what the heck? Is that safe widening the rims like that? I didn't actually read it though..

CTSV05 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Sure its done alot.

Beats $5000.000 for a set!!!

Thanx for the info!!!!

Geno is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Orginal owner; 2004 CTS-V

Dreamin,
    Very nicely done...very thorough. Look like a nice option to consider especially when the cost of new wheels are factored. Thanks!

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Dreamin

Thanks...The gears are turning

V-seriesTech is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

An idea that has been around for a while, and it's an awesome one. Great alternative for all those hot looking factory wheels out there that just aren't wide enough. Nice post dreamin

CTSV05 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Too bad they couldn't just move the outer lip out more and eliminate the need for any spacers.

Me no likey spacers on a hard driven car. But the idea is def. appealing!!!!

PHUQKINFAST is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Anyone do this yet ?

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Dude! That's right up the 210 from me. Great post, young man, and timely. Lessee, got 4 new factory wheels, 12K miles on the F1's so gotta replace 'em soon, what to do, what to do...?

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Dreamin, Lasstss, other wheel/tire & ruler whizzes:

Do you have any feel for whether a stock wheel widened to 9" would fit in front? Seems like it would. And what size tire? Just doing some quick mm/in noodling, seems like the widest tire that would fit that rim is a 265/40.

Call me tame, but I'd like to run the same rims & tires all around. Mmmm, rotation GOOD!

Dreamin -

This might be a stupid question, but, is it possible when the wheels are widened to have whatever spacer that is going to be used welded to the wheels? If so, then what about using the thicker spacer, welded in place and then counterboring the lug nut holes so that you still get enough turns of the lug nut with the stock lugs?

Just a thought... :drinker

Law: a 9" will fit in front but you'll need a spacer... probably 1/4" spacer... Not sure if 265/40 will fit... it *should*.
    If you're close to Eric Vaughn Machine, you should go there and maybe they'll measure and tell you exactly how much you can widen FR & RR

Wild: I would just install longer lug bolts... drilling the lug nut holes deeper on the stock wheels isn't a good idea... and good luck balancing the wheels! Installing longer bolts isn't that big of a deal.

kimcheejeegae is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

wow.. that is cool.. but question....

how does this not change the integrity of the wheel?

I mean... if you cut your chassis.. wouldn't you feel a little wary about "welding" it back together?

I don't know.. I'm not a metallurgy expert... maybe someone can explain this to me?

lawfive-

I'm about ready to try this. Any chance you can go check it out?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.