How to: Widen your rear wheels - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, How to: Widen your rear wheels in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Dreamin i thought it was... he who has the most debt when he dies...wins I must be ...
    wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: How to: Widen your rear wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    i thought it was... he who has the most debt when he dies...wins
    I must be seriously close to first place then :rolleyes2

Dreamin -

I'm sure you're right...and I know that you've done the homework properly. It is very likely that a spacer would be required in front...so run them all around? The 26.3" tire diameter all around should be fine too - especially if you're going to lower the car slightly to close the wheel gap...so many choices, so little time.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

i thought it was... he who has the most debt when he dies...wins
    your PM box is full LOL

your tires are in boxes in my Yukon
    UPS bound Monday

I put 10 lugs/covers in the box....i kept the locking lugs....i do have spares, need 2 more?

Dreamin -

Where'd you get those spare suspension pieces?

OK, drove quite a bit with the 275's on the rear today. Did not have time to bolt on the front - will do tomorrow (and am planning B&B headers too). I've also decided to try the shortened FG2's next weekend provided I can get some Eibach's beforehand - more proof of concept than anything else. I've ruled out cutting stock springs, well, just because. Anybody have a set in hand that they'd like to sell/donate to the cause?

I believe the 275's are fine on the stock width wheels but not optimum. It sure doesn't seem like much, but adding .75" or so to the wheels will be a benefit, so Monday I'll be shipping them to Eric Vaughn for widening.

This brings up the decision of powdercoating or not. I know some say it weakens the aluminum wheels, but can't imagine it can be much in that they only cook at like 500 degrees for 20 minutes, right? I still can't commit to charcoal or black...and was wondering if anyone knows of a silver powdercoat that matches the stock paint? My wheels need to be refinished one way or another, and I like the durability of powdercoating.

Dreamin - (hope you can follow this) from my measurements I think going .75" wider is as wide as I can go and I'll still need 1/8" spacer to be safe and clear the trailing arm. Here's where my mind is. The section width centers itself over the wheel (obviously). I currently have at least .75" clearance with the 275 on the 8.5" wheel. The sidewall is exactly .375" farther away from the rim edge than the sidewall/bead protector of the runflats in 245. If I add .75" to the inside of the rim, I'll be using all my clearance (or close to it) to do so. It would likely still clear, but the 1/8" spacer would be added insurance (maybe even 3/16" if I can make one -- and I can). Going any wider than .75" will just bring the wheel and tire closer to the items that are of concern (namely the trailing arm). So, is my thinking correct here? I mean, we could go 13/16" but we're splitting hairs and I'd like to error on the safer side if at all possible.

Oh yeah, the 2.8" pulley nets me 6.5 lbs peak boost at this elevation...for those with maggies and considering pulley swaps. Would also like to mention that StealthV is really getting hi $hit together - I'm testing his latest maggie tune and I have to say :thumbsup

Thanks for everyone's input. Time to partake in :drinker and eat some dead animals

WW

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Not to be outdone by WW... i mounted GS-D3's 245s in front and 275s in rear on STOCK rims (not widened yet)... mostly for measurement purposes.

First, car pushes more (as expected)... this is easily controlled by applying some throttle... but it was more than i thought it would. But the wider rears are much more confidence inspiring powering out of turns! Car is lot more tossable now.

GS-D3's definitely dont have the performance of the Stock RF's... maybe 80% the stick?

But with both comments above: My tires may not be fully broken in yet.

The 275s look and feel fine in the rear... no squirm i thought i would feel... I felt the softer sidewalls, but no shifting/squirrelly feeling at all. (And i was testing at 10/10ths today, car completely sideways, Stabillitrac very unhappy!) I like the tire bulge... and fit is fine.

Finally, I agree with Wildwhl... 275's are fine on the stock width wheels but not optimum... 9 to 9.5 rim would be perfect.

Dreamin - (hope you can follow this) from my measurements I think going .75" wider is as wide as I can go and I'll still need 1/8" spacer to be safe and clear the trailing arm.
    Wild: After measuring today with the 275s... i'm confident 0.75" is the way to go and i at 98% sure we wont need a spacer.

Wheel width: No issues, 0.75" is perfect.

Tire Section Width: For section width (the widest part of the bulge), keep in mind that for every 0.5" increase of wheel width, the tire cross-section only increases 0.2"... so the 0.75" wheel increase, increases the tire width 0.3". (this is the part that deflects the most under high-Gs).
    I calculated tire section widths for popular tires on various wheel widths, and increase relative to the the stock tire (for the amount that will go inboard... 0.75"... no worries):

Plenty of space with the GS-D3s...

The tightest spot is exactly what you mentioned... the rim protector 'bead'... that part of the tire is just a hair more than 0.75" away from the trailing arm... but this part will deflect the least under high-Gs (esp. given where the trailing arms are)... so having this tight should not be a problem. But for this measurement... 13/16" is pushing it... 0.75 is the safe way to go!

Anyway... enough analysis paralysis... I'm tired of this 'bench racing'... sent your wheels in already!! I'm a week behind you.

This brings up the decision of powdercoating or not.
    Some inspiration

Dammit Dreamin...OK black it is

For those with inquiring minds - 275's will NOT fit up front...not even with a 1/8" spacer. They will bolt on with less than 1/16" clearance from the tire to the top of the spindle...and I didn't even try driving/turning the wheels...so no go, on the stock wheels at least.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

I just talked to Eric; he's set up to do the bigger wheels (he considers 18's in that category) so I'm hauling mine up next week. They'll probably sit there for 2 or 3 weeks because he's got a big backlog, but that's OK with me.

I guess I'll probably go with GS-D3's, too, since you-know-who says they'll work. Man, I thought I'd never decide what tires to buy given all the reports from guys here on different brands!

Of course, if 275 GS-D3's DON'T fit in back on 9.25 rims, I'm going to have to drive my parakeet all the way up to Northern California to poop on you-know-who's V, then drive all the way back home. That should wear off enough rubber to stop the rubbing, yes?

BTW: Eric mentioned that he also repairs road rash on rims. Don't know how much he'd charge for that.

lawfive -

Mine leave Monday, just finished boxing them up

Quote Originally Posted by lawfive
    Of course, if 275 GS-D3's DON'T fit in back on 9.25 rims, I'm going to have to drive my parakeet all the way up to Northern California to poop on you-know-who's V, then drive all the way back home. That should wear off enough rubber to stop the rubbing, yes?
    Law: Wait for Wild to get his wheels widened! *He's* the guinea pig!! (You dont own a parakeet do you WW?)

Law: Wait for Wild to get his wheels widened! *He's* the guinea pig!! (You dont own a parakeet do you WW?)
    No, but I do have a "pair-of-kids"....

Law - they'll fit - but MAY require spacers. I'm happy to be the hamst.....errr....gerb.....errrr guinea pig (as long as I'm not on bottom - wait wrong thread).

Took two rims to Eric yesterday. Seems like a good guy. He's got a small shop that's crammed with equipment, boxes, and... wheels. Lots and lots of wheels.

Mine should be ready in a couple of weeks when I get back from vacation.

Mine should arrive at his shop tomorrow (if they didn't today).

By the way, the "Noble Offer" was countered, and reoffered, and refused

Just an update.

Spoke with Eric today. He has received my wheels. Says "...about another week or so..."

Also contacted the guy about wheel spacers. The thinnest he can make them is .200", so that's what he is making me. I am having 8 made (could be a waste of money) but if they're right and you need them - you know where a few extra will be in about 2 weeks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.