Hurst Camaro short throw shifter (391 6030) into the V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By PISNUOFF
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Hurst Camaro short throw shifter (391 6030) into the V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Hurst Camaro short throw shifter (391 6030) into the V

For those of you looking for another shifter option for our cars (well it has been mentioned before) the Hurst shifter for the new Camaro (391 6030) fits our cars with very little modification.
    It really only requires 2 modifications:
    1. The Hurst shifter cup diameter is too small for the CTS-V metal retainer. I cheated on mine and wrapped it in electrical tape until it was snug. It probably doesn’t really need anything as once the cup it torqued down it will hold it in place, but this was easy, and **should** last.

2. The bottom of the shifter is too narrow by .2” I had to find some washers that fit in this gap. Conveniently the bushings from my PISNUOFF fit perfect into the Hurst shifter, so I reused those instead of the Hurst ones. (although I am not sure that the Hurst ones don’t work great)

3. Ok maybe a 3rd modification. I had to add some washers under the ears of the CTS-v metal shifter cup (The CTS-V one) to account for the thickness of the hurst shifter flange that sticks out under it.

Here are some overall pictures of the Hurst shifter vs. my PISNUOFF shifter. (note my modified stocker was also shortened 1” at the top from stock) As you can see the Hurst shifter is even shorter than my short stock shifter. The shifts definitely take some more effort, but they do feel good. Being a Hurst shifter you can easily change the top half of the shifter out though. If you want stock length you can buy a 5387238 (marked 7238 on stick) stick and be right about stock height (and with no angle backwards)

The length below the pivot is about the same length, but the shifter pivot is raised so there is even more driveshaft clearance than the modified stock shifter, although this does raise the shifter into the car by the same amount.

How does it work? GREAT! (although I don’t know that I would say any better than my modified stocker) I primarily did this because I wanted the HURST logo sticking out of my shifter boot. I had threaded my stock shifter to accept a Hurst shift knob and that looked good, but I think this is better. (I just need to get a black knob for it now)
    The shifter does sit back a little further now as the Hurst shifter has a curve to it, this doesn’t seem to be too big of a deal but could be good or bad for you. As a Hurst shifter though, this feature is replaceable so you have a lot of options here. You can see my custom redline shift boot as well. I had this one made a few inches shorter than stock to account for A. the shorter shifter, and B. to make sure the shaft is visible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Hurst Camaro short throw shifter (391 6030) into the V

I just modified one to work in our cars yesterday. I cut the ears and shortened the body, made a sleeve to adapt it for the OD and made a wider bushing. I'll be making my own shifters with this design soon. Also, the length below the pivot is longer than my modified ones but sits higher into the cabin so there is another .100" clearance to the driveshaft. The spherical bushing used as a pivot is a real nice setup that I've been wanting to use for quite some time.
    lollygagger8 and Dan_Gurney like this.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I just modified one to work in our cars yesterday. I cut the ears and shortened the body, made a sleeve to adapt it for the OD and made a wider bushing. I'll be making my own shifters with this design soon. Also, the length below the pivot is longer than my modified ones but sits higher into the cabin so there is another .100" clearance to the driveshaft. The spherical bushing used as a pivot is a real nice setup that I've been wanting to use for quite some time.
    That would be the ideal way to do it, but more work than i felt like throwing into it at the time.

I keep hearing about this new shifter you want to make, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Nice job! Loving the classic look!

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

I'll post up pictures when I get around to the install. I am lagging on ordering the new bushings from Luke so I'll get those ordered this week. And I'll try and do it all next week.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

To the OP, how is the shifter holding up? Did you have to make any more modifications?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.