SHIFTER: Dissecting, and fixing the CTS-V's shifter... - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree12Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, SHIFTER: Dissecting, and fixing the CTS-V's shifter... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Im rarely on here anymore as the v is long gone. Its interesting to see where things have gone. I ...
    lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Smile Re: SHIFTER: Dissecting, and fixing the CTS-V's shifter...

Im rarely on here anymore as the v is long gone. Its interesting to see where things have gone. I will blow my own horn.
    I supplied the first shifter to UUC to make the first replacement. It needed all of the help it coiuld get. I also created the first urethane bushing kit for the crappy shifter including the front bushings. I ha s a shoulder bole in the shifter handle though.

Also made the first door lock lifts, radio knobs and gage pods in the ash tray. I was busy back in 2004. Nice to see everyone enjoying all of this stuff.

On the shifter, what I did was a band aid that made a micky mouse remote shifter better! Its became a better bad shifter. What was needed was a trans with a tailshaft that fit the car! But a bigger issue that that is the early differential but thats another story. Good luck all..

Marty

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: SHIFTER: Dissecting, and fixing the CTS-V's shifter...

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Try dynamat first.
    Seriously. That is what this thing needs.

So I cut my shift lever/stalk again, racked the rubber/goober part back onto the upper lever the slid that back down over the lower -basically putting it back to stock (just the shift lever portion. Result? That solved the noise issue completely. THe only remaining noises are driveline chuck or whip, is pretty noticeable when depressing the clutch quickly, and the shifter knob rattles -which it always has. So I believe that the two piece shift lever solves the noise issue. At what expense? Not too much. The quality of the shifting feel is still about the same. The accuracy, precision feeling to it is still there, and there is still no play or slop in the system. There IS, of course, compliance in the rubber in the shifter, so once it's in a gear, you can force the shift lever to bend or deflect some.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss View Post
    It became a better bad shifter.
    Yep. That is what is going on here too, for the most part. The shifter is a total piece of crap. I've made it way better, but in principle, it still sucks. The goal (not my goal in this thread) is to manipulate the internal shift rail. The fewer number of parts and joints you have between your hand, and that internal shift rail, the better. The V probably has 20 pieces between your hand and that rail. It's a joke.

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

So now I've gone and busted into the shift KNOB. Not including the two pices of "leather", the shift KNOB, is made out of 5 pieces of junk!! I don't know what others think, but in MY mind a shift knob is one piece, w/a cover and maybe separate shift pattern. 5 pieces! Here are 4 of them (shift pattern didn't make it into the pic)

So, the shift knob rattles b/c the part in the middle there, is loose fitting inside the actual molded handle. It is hard plastic and of course the handle is hard plastic too, so the handle moves around like a "bobble head" on the center piece. I whipped up some epoxy and turned the whole thing into one solid unit. Put the leather back on and it's setting up now.

The Mythbusters proved that you CAN, polish a turd! So I am proving it too!

Headhunter Pro Mod is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Good job Tom, I like it and will use your ideas on mine thanks!!!

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    ^ offer something up. I will buy it, as will others.

Great work.
    I'm trying to resurrect this thread because we have forum members who have the talent and the desire to offer us quality products. In my feeble mind, this project makes a lot of sense! Feedback/encouragement is appreciated!
    MarkOne likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.