SHIFTER: Dissecting, and fixing the CTS-V's shifter... - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, SHIFTER: Dissecting, and fixing the CTS-V's shifter... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Are you doing all of this with the stock shifter, stock motor mounts and trans mount?...
    PISNUOFF Guest

Re: SHIFTER: Dissecting, and fixing the CTS-V's shifter...

Are you doing all of this with the stock shifter, stock motor mounts and trans mount?

kyle242gt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Great to see this moving forward so rapidly, for better or worse.

I think you're going to find the peninsulas need to be cut back and pointed.

Loving the fab work and materials - looks like something out of my shop. Who needs machine tools when you've got a die grinder and a sawzall! sawzall-smiley.gif

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

LOL! Love the sawzall character!

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Are you doing all of this with the stock shifter, stock motor mounts and trans mount?
    Good question! Absolutely not. I have Revshift motor mounts and Revshift trans insert. Stock motor mounts were so blown out that there was nothing but DIRT inside them. I changed them about a year ago. It should be noted however, that with my shifter being "free standing" now, i shouldn't matter what happens to the trans and motor mounts anymore. The motor could fall out on the ground, and the shifter will still be in the same orientation to the trans, and still shift the same way.

----------

Well....here it is. The finished assembly. NOTE that I did in fact, cut back the gates some, and also I did taper the end to help guide the guide pin into each gear. It sure doesn't LOOK like a nice, billet Pro 5.0, that is for sure...

Finished install...

And with teh rubber coupler in place to show the clearance....

SO: how is it. Am I allowed to swear here? HOLY FUK!! The thing feels like a brick SHIT HOUSE! The slots in the gate feel SO damn good as you slide the shifter into any gear....it feels like the mechanical device that it should! SOLID, TIGHT, STRONG (feeling). I freakin' love it. Haven't driven it yet, so this is just sitting in the garage, but all 6 gears have absolutely zero side-side play, and there is no "drag" or "catches" when moving the shifter through the gears.

I think the thing is freakin' fantastic. I can't believe how well the gate came out, and how well it does it's job. I'm thrilled. I just hope that it doesn't rattle. Will post a Video and on-the-road report when I get the car back on the ground.
    SlvrVee, HAMSTAR and VincentT like this.

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Well done, good sir. I bet that gate makes a big difference.

----------

I do wonder though about the durability of that gate, with it being metal on metal and all. It would probably only be an issue in the very long run.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
    SO: how is it. Am I allowed to swear here? HOLY FUK!! The thing feels like a brick SHIT HOUSE! The slots in the gate feel SO damn good as you slide the shifter into any gear....it feels like the mechanical device that it should! SOLID, TIGHT, STRONG (feeling). I freakin' love it. Haven't driven it yet, so this is just sitting in the garage, but all 6 gears have absolutely zero side-side play, and there is no "drag" or "catches" when moving the shifter through the gears.

I think the thing is freakin' fantastic. I can't believe how well the gate came out, and how well it does it's job. I'm thrilled. I just hope that it doesn't rattle. Will post a Video and on-the-road report when I get the car back on the ground.
    Be careful about impressions with the motor off. My shifter feels amazing under those conditions too.

The shifter gate (which is what controls side to side play when in a gear) doesn't care if the engine is running or not.

As I said, I'll report back when I drive it. Probably tomorrow, but still need to change the front shocks.

PISNUOFF Guest

I'm waiting to see how much noise comes through there, you removed every bit of isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I'm waiting to see how much noise comes through there, you removed every bit of isolation.
    Kind of. The forward "Home Depot" bushings, I coated them and the steel sleeve with silicone before installing, so there should be a little damping there....but with the vertical struts bolted directly to the trans, any damping from the drive train into the shifter base is eliminated. HOWEVER, the shifter is no longer bolted to the floor pan, so drive drain buzz/hum, and drive shaft vibes won't be transmitted into the car at all. The retention of the stock shift lever w/it's plastic ball/pivot I believe will help with NVH (compared to an aftermarket steel unit), but...we'll see. If it does make noise, I can easily add rubber to the bottom of the strut mounts, the way that I designed them. I'll try to get tthe thing done today so I can report back.

PISNUOFF Guest

I believe most of it comes directly through the shifter stalk. That's why the rubber isolation is between the upper and lower portions. You welded the upper directly to the lower, it'll be interesting to see if all the theories are true.

I agree. I should have the car running tonight. Just finished replacing the shocks...now the rear diff bushing, then put the DS in and exhaust on and pet 'er back on the ground....
    Back to work!

I drove it. Got the new shocks in, took my son to tutoring in SLC, then swapped the rear diff bushing, then put the car back together. Battery was dead so put it on charge and went for a Mtn bike ride with my wife when she got home from work. After the ride, took the car out.

VERDICT: The goal has been met. As a reminder, the goal:
    The goal; to have the shifter feel and behave like "a brick sh!t house"...like one that mounts directly into the transmission, such as in an F-body, or an older Mustang (T-5 or T45 Transmission).
    The shifter feels incredible. It feels like a machine...like a brick shit house. It feels just like the hurst shifter in my friend's '88 5.0. That was my goal that I set in post #1, and I've met that goal handily, I feel.
    Unfortunately, part of my goal was not, "no noise". As PISSNUOFF said, noise does come up through the shifter stalk and the noise has increased quite a lot. How much? If the stereo is on, you can't hear it. If the car had an aftermarket exhaust, you wouldn't notice it or be bothered by it, but in a stock car it is definitely noticeable. It doesn't rattle or vibrate, which I'm pretty happy about, but it does transmit bearing and gear noise from the transmission, right up the shift stalk. My feeling about the thing as a whole are mixed. When I'm shifting it, I think, "This is IT!" It's so awesome feeling -it feels like...precision. Like a well engineered device. But when I'm cruising in 6th gear (the noisiest of them all, I think, "This isn't going to work. I need to address the noise." If it were MY car, I'd leave it and put an aftermarket exhaust on it. But it's my wife's car and I know that she won't like it.

WHAT NEXT?
    *I can bush the struts...but will that matter with the "Home Depot" bushings? IDK. I haven't seen any feedback about noise on this forum, after installing the HD bushings. Any input on that?
    *I can try to bush the shift stalk similar to how it was two pieces originally, but use some stiffer rubber?
    * I can put it all back to stock, since I have all the OEM parts still. But I do NOT want to do that; it sucked so bad before. For right now, I'm just going to think about options for a little bit. It sure does feel good though. I'll have to make a vid tomorrow. I just didn't have enough time tonight.

EDIT: When I put the drive shaft in, there was about 1/2" clearance between the shaft, and the bottom of my gate and guide pin.
    HAMSTAR likes this.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

^ offer something up. I will buy it, as will others.

Great work.

kyle242gt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Be sure the shifter strut assembly isn't contacting the trans tunnel. Doubt that's the case, but easiest to fix.
    I'd go with a two piece shifter. You can keep all the gate and solid mountings stuff.
    Sleeving the gate pin would help a lot too, if you're getting vibrations from the gate/pin contact. Not sure what you could put in there and have it last though...

Great work!!

Kyle, Good ideas. The struts definiltey aren't hitting the tunnel...and there isn't any noise in the floor pan/shifter base area. ALL the noise is coming right out of the shift lever/stalk, as PISSNUOFF predicted. What's crazy is that when the crappy stock shift knob is on, it's way louder. When I pull the knob off, it's not nearly as noisy! That stock shift knob sucks. The sleeved gate pin is a good idea, but I also don't know what would last there either.

Hamstar, what do you mean by "offer something up"? Selling them? I don't think that I could sell it until I can figure out how to make it quiet. And, I'm not interested in selling, really....I wanted to post this to show what *I* believe is a good way to improve the feel of what we've got to work with. I'm may slap the stock rubber upper on today and see how that sounds.

Here is a pic of the clearance between the driveshaft, and the shift gate. MAN, those welds are not pretty!...

PISNUOFF Guest

Try dynamat first.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.