Burning radiator fluid :(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Burning radiator fluid :( in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Started my V today and lots of white smoke coming from the exhaust (mostly drivers side.) I've had the maggie ...
    ronr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Burning radiator fluid :(

Started my V today and lots of white smoke coming from the exhaust (mostly drivers side.) I've had the maggie intercooler empty for a while because there was some sort of leak in the supercharger that was causing coolant from the intercooler system to get into the engine. I hadn't gotten around to pulling it off and checking things out but now that it looks like I have a blown head gasket I'll get it all apart and fixed.

Any advice/tips/tricks I should pay attention to in changing the gaskets?
    Gasket recommendations?
    Other things I should consider doing while I'm in there (I'm a little over 130k miles and nearly 115k of those are with the supercharger)?
    '04 Platinum, Maggie, Corsa cat back, StealthV tune, UUC short throw shifter, Autovation Pedals, Lingenfelter CAI, GC coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, UUC braided brake lines, Lingenfelter LS9 clutch, Level V RPM Transmission, Creative Steel engine & trans mounts, LSA block with forged bottom end, RHS heads, Comp valve train, ATI damper, Kooks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Burning radiator fluid :(

No clue on the tips other than change the IC pump as PM. I just R&R'd the rear belt on my Maggie and when I went to purge the air in the IC piping I found the Bosch pump was seized. Needed a new relay, too.

Also, you're overdue on changing the Maggie gear oil so get some at the dealer. I'd get a belt, too. Magnuson told me 100k on the oil. I forgot to do this when it was off so in 20k miles I'll be pulling mine again.

-PJ

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Stock MLS gaskets are plenty strong. I'd upgrade to ARP bolts over OE TTY bolts and make sure to replace the lifters and trays as PM. LS7 lifters are $120 and new trays are $20. I would have your heads looked at while they're off, and sending them to TEA or Advanced Inductions for performance work will likely be less than sending them to the local machine shop.

Hell, you may want to go ahead and do a cam and timing chain while you're there and breathe a little life in the old girl. I would definately get the intercooler fixed while apart. A local radiator shop should be able to fix it if it is leaking. High IAT's are an engine killer.

One last thing above all else, chase the head bolt threads and make sure there is absolutely NO liquid in the bolt holes. You can crack the block torquing the head bolts if there is.

Quote Originally Posted by PJGross View Post
    No clue on the tips other than change the IC pump as PM. I just R&R'd the rear belt on my Maggie and when I went to purge the air in the IC piping I found the Bosch pump was seized. Needed a new relay, too.

Also, you're overdue on changing the Maggie gear oil so get some at the dealer. I'd get a belt, too. Magnuson told me 100k on the oil. I forgot to do this when it was off so in 20k miles I'll be pulling mine again.

-PJ
    Thanks PJ,
    Great tip on the IC pump. I'll be sure to check that.

I actually expect that I'll need to send the maggie in since it has an internal coolant leak. Mine was also a very early one with a steel jack shaft between the front and rear pulleys so it's probably worth having it checked over by Magnuson and getting any upgrades (like the CF jackshaft) along with belts, bearings, oil...
    '04 Platinum, Maggie, Corsa cat back, StealthV tune, UUC short throw shifter, Autovation Pedals, Lingenfelter CAI, GC coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, UUC braided brake lines, Lingenfelter LS9 clutch, Level V RPM Transmission, Creative Steel engine & trans mounts, LSA block with forged bottom end, RHS heads, Comp valve train, ATI damper, Kooks

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    ... sending them to TEA or Advanced Inductions for performance work will likely be less than sending them to the local machine shop.

Hell, you may want to go ahead and do a cam and timing chain while you're there and breathe a little life in the old girl.
    You're going to get me in trouble with Randy's wife again. Every trip down the mod rabbit hole for me has been replicated by Randy and then I get in trouble for encouraging him!

Actually, that's a good idea

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

DMM is correct. Chase those thread holes before reinstalling the heads. I put in ARP studs, but their bolts are great too. With that many miles, I would definitely change out the lifters if not a new cam/timing chain. Also, like DMM said while the heads are off, you might as well go through them and if you get a cam, you'll have to change out the springs anyways.

This will help you get it apart/back together......
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-install.html

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

One other thing: don't buy 10 grommets for that IAT hole, I have a few extra!

Sounds like you have a great excuse a few extras in that head gasket change!

-PJ

PISNUOFF Guest

Do you really think the head gaskets are what is letting the coolant into the cylinders? I would remove the Maggie and see if it isn't the culprit and really inspect closely the intake and exhaust runners of your heads.

Although...it would only be $100 for head gaskets....$150 for head bolts......$150 for lifters and trays.....$700 for camshaft, pushrods and valve springs....$20 for valve seals.....$150 for a timing chain....$150 for an oil pump.....$150 for Comp rocker trunion upgrade...$700 for head porting (not sure on that amount).....$50 for misc. supplies to clean up and lap valves....

I'll spend your money all day long. Haha
    lollygagger8 and Andringa like this.

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

Agreed, find the problems / inspect thouroughly and then decide which repair / mod route to go....thats my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    This will help you get it apart/back together......
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-install.html
    Thanks, this is helpful!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by ronr View Post
    You're going to get me in trouble with Randy's wife again. Every trip down the mod rabbit hole for me has been replicated by Randy and then I get in trouble for encouraging him!

Actually, that's a good idea
    Actually, she doesn't know about the headers, the exhaust, the lowering kit, the maggie, the shifter, the clutch, the ... well, you get the idea. Ron has been a real mod instigator as far as I'm concerned.

I think I'm going to plug my ears on the rest of this thread .
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Okay,

Blower is off. Only complication was breaking the plastic pulley on the belt tensioner

Passenger side head went well until the last rocker arm bolt which broke 5 of my 8mm sockets before one held together and it managed to round the bolt!! Any suggestions other than drilling off the head of the bolt to get that thing out?

Drivers side head came off without any issues. However, the REAL issue is the piece of piston #1 that's missing and nowhere to be found. Looks like this is going to be a bigger project than I anticipated originally

PISNUOFF Guest

Oh man. Bad news. Sorry.

But I can tell you how to spend $10k to 'fix' it.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by ronr View Post
    ... the piece of piston #1 that's missing and nowhere to be found ...
    Yikes! Guess we won't wait up for you at the Dream Cruise.

At this point, I'm thinking: how far are you going to go before you reverse direction and start the motor reassembly process? Oh, my ...
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    But I can tell you how to spend $10k to 'fix' it.
    Certainly opens up some more possibilities.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    At this point, I'm thinking: how far are you going to go before you reverse direction and start the motor reassembly process? Oh, my ...
    At this point a crate motor might be a better option??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.