Mod LS6 or swap LS3?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mod LS6 or swap LS3? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Good afternoon gentlemen, Just wanted to get some feedback from you guys about a project that I am considering. With ...
    Ct$-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Mod LS6 or swap LS3?

Good afternoon gentlemen,

Just wanted to get some feedback from you guys about a project that I am considering. With a little over 100k on the engine and starting to track the car, I am considering buying a 60k mile LS6 and doing Katech Stage II before swapping or taking a new LS3 and swapping it. Do you guys have any feedback? It appears as though the LS3 with mild mods will approach the LS6 with H/C/I. I have spent weeks reading on here and Ls1tech on what y'all have done and am now deciding that I need counsel.

More specifically, I can buy the 60k LS6 for about $2k and I have a buyer already for mine for the same price. I have a tech-friend of mine who is willing to do the swap (LS6 or LS3) for virtually free. The T56 only has about 30k miles on it and the rear-end is a Gen IV. Both were replaced by dealership under extended warranty. My budget for this is about $10k. The car will be my DD and so little down time and dependability are important. Also, I have thought about ditching the V for a Z06 but my wife just smiles and points to our kids.

After about 20 years of enjoying cars and reading forums this is my first post! I welcome feedback and experience from you guys...especially if there is something glaringly obvious that I am overlooking.

Thanks in advance,
    ~C

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Mod LS6 or swap LS3?

If someone will do it for free???

LS3 for sure. Then put a blower (Whipple/Edelbrock/whatever) on it down the road after you change out the rear end with a 9".

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

LS3 with a baby cam, 1 7/8" headers, and a tune for sure. The things to look out for are the knock sensor compatibility and the 04/05 LS6 PCM does not have enough resolution to effectively use he LS3/7 card type MAF. You can buy the conversion harness for the 90mm t-body or make your own if you're crafty.

LS3 would be a better DD and still leave you grinning from ear to ear every time you get in it.

PISNUOFF Guest

You can build a forged stroker 416 LS3 with a $2000 clutch for a total of $10k.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Track as in ??? My thoughts would be LS3 for 1/4 mile. LS6 for road course. Being as though you're interested in Katech I'm thinking you're into HPDE and road course events. The LS3 is hard to beat for power potential from what everyone has said but they have terrible reputations for oiling issues on the road course without a dry sump. My LS6 is reliable but needs some major mods to produce over 400rwhp. Stay away from big cams for the LS6 since valve train life is a concern on a car that sees lot's of track time.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    You can build a forged stroker 416 LS3 with a $2000 clutch for a total of $10k.
    This... Doesn't matter what track your on, 1/4 or road course, that would be a pretty good motor. The power curve would be amazing. I wouldn't swap an LS6 for another LS6, you wouldn't gain anything for all the work. Put in a bigger better motor and never look back IMHO

@lolly-yes, I am going to do all the estate planning for him and in lieu he is going to trade the bulk of the swap for the work...except for maybe pulling the crank to swap the reluctor wheels. But as others have said, might as well swap the cam.

Anyone else had luck with the Lingenfelter module? I was reading on LS1tech about problems back in '11. Have they rectified the gremlins? Would love to avoid pulling the crank.

@cranked-Good call, I am starting to study up on the oil starvation because yes, I am looking at road courses. Road Atlanta will be my mainstay but I would like to start traveling. Seems like anything over 1.3g's is problematic. But some of the dry sump solutions (with installation) would be approaching half the cost of the LS3 crate engine. Insurance is well worth it but where do we draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Ct$-V View Post
    @cranked-Good call, I am starting to study up on the oil starvation because yes, I am looking at road courses. Road Atlanta will be my mainstay but I would like to start traveling. Seems like anything over 1.3g's is problematic. But some of the dry sump solutions (with installation) would be approaching half the cost of the LS3 crate engine. Insurance is well worth it but where do we draw the line?
    The LS3 oil issues were so evident that the Corvette Gran Sport and the new Camaro Z28 which were directed LS3 applications for track use come with a dry sump system similar to the Z06. The Corvette forum is fraught with horror stories on the LS3 starving out and destructing. I still think it's a fantastic engine, but it does need the dry sump if you want to put it to work.

PISNUOFF Guest

What is the route cause of the oiling issues? If it is oil starvation caused by the pan, you would be swapping your oil pan to the new motor anyhow. Only other issue I could see is drain back into the pan causing it to starve for oil.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Only other issue I could see is drain back into the pan causing it to starve for oil.
    I've heard opinions that that the head design causes more pooling and there is more windage up on the top of the motor. No one has ever come up with something factual as far as I know. Someone like Pratt & Miller or Katech has never weighed in on the subject. So you may be right. I still think that unless you're really thrashing the LS3 on a road course on some sticky tires, you won't have any issues. The Katech Motorsport 550 LS3 race engine is found everywhere racing Grand Am, DP, ALMS with great success but again a dry sump is always there.

PISNUOFF Guest

Agreed. I never had any oiling issues with my LS3 with LS3 heads. I wish I had asked Pratt & Miller last weekend when I was talking with them at MidOhio.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Run the 100,000 mile LS6 thats in the car now. Spend your money on seat time and start looking for a wrecked C5 ZO6.

Minytrker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006

I vote for LS3, but Im probably partial since I have one in mine.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...wap-cts-v.html

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Run the 100,000 mile LS6 thats in the car now. Spend your money on seat time and start looking for a wrecked C5 ZO6.
    I hear that. The crossroads that I am at is that I'd like to start modding the engine...but I do not want to throw good money at an engine with over 100k that is going to start seeing more track time. The other piece here is that of my resources, I have more money than time (relatively speaking). Left up to me, I would be seeing more track days. But with two kids (one of which is a newborn) at home. My ability to break away is more limited. That said, this is what I was looking at, already has a cam. And don't flame me too much, but I was going to call LPE and see if they have rectified, or at least be able to explain away, the problems with the crank trigger module. If rectified, I'd do one of these: Thoughts?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...27485/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...41625/10002/-1

I know its the classic Hot Cam and ASA argument...but if the LPE module precludes me from swapping cams or amending the crank, then I'd rather have GM put it together and avoid assembly error. Last thing guys, I was thinking about the Kooks 1-7/8" and B&B for either of these engines. Is the 1-7/8" overkill? Likely would ultimately amend the intake and TB down the road. Thanks for the feedback and dialogue thus far.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I really think that you can do just fine with a rebuild on the LS6 provided there at no issues with cracks in the butt... I mean block. If you're dead set on completely replacing a motor then do an LS3 swap over having to do nearly the same amount of work and spend the same money for another LS6. Have you looked into doing like a 7 liter iron LSX block? Or something of that nature? That really opens the doors up to some craziness there.

Go 1&7/8 headers... That's the one thing I regret about mine. They were the same price and I had a mental retard moment and went 1&3/4. Its not a HUGE deal between the 2 but I want to go forced induction and the 1&7/8 are clearly better. Some people say that for a NA motor the 1&7/8 are too much but they do allow you the most room to grow later.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.