Mod LS6 or swap LS3? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mod LS6 or swap LS3? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Minytrker I vote for LS3, but Im probably partial since I have one in mine. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...wap-cts-v.html Miny, ...
    Ct$-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Mod LS6 or swap LS3?

Quote Originally Posted by Minytrker View Post
    I vote for LS3, but Im probably partial since I have one in mine.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...wap-cts-v.html
    Miny, have you tracked the swap yet? What kind of g's-any oil pressure problems? Looks like 1.3g's for over a couple of seconds is the issue.

PISNUOFF Guest

I will give you $1000 if you hold (or even get to without wrecking) 1.3 g's.
    lollygagger8 likes this.

Ct$-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Fair enough, definitely have not seen that much. At Road ATL last month I hit 1.18 on Michelin SS. I just figured 1.3 was attainable when I go to slicks.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

does that hold for others as well

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by Ct$-V View Post
    Fair enough, definitely have not seen that much. At Road ATL last month I hit 1.18 on Michelin SS. I just figured 1.3 was attainable when I go to slicks.
    Sent you a pm.

I consistently pulled 1.27 at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL. Hard on tires.

Minytrker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006

Miny, have you tracked the swap yet? What kind of g's-any oil pressure problems? Looks like 1.3g's for over a couple of seconds is the issue.
    Wont ever see the track, its just a fun daily driver. Its a lot faster than my G8 which runs 12.9's. I only ran the G8 to see if it would break into the 12's. Its hard to go run my street cars at the track when I have a race car. Zero oil pressure issues but I know its never seen 1.3g's for seconds thats for sure.

PISNUOFF Guest

I only hit mid 1.2's with R-Comps at Road Atlanta. Even so, they weren't sustained for that long.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    does that hold for others as well
    I'll give you $1000 if your g-meter EVER hits 1.3 and a tree is not involved. Haha

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I'll give you $1000 if your g-meter EVER hits 1.3 and a tree is not involved. Haha
    I'm so going to try this in a giant empty parking lot near my house.

PISNUOFF Guest

You may be able to whip it sideways and it might spike that high when it catches, but the $1000 for it even hitting 1.3 was for liqidvenom. Lol

vms4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

The issue with the LS3 also holds true for the LS7, which is a shame. A number of folks have blown up LS7s in C6 Z06s. Long fast sweeping turns, a much lighter car, and sitting on extremely fat Hoosiers, running the motor way up in 3rd. Or worse the guys who have tried banked tracks for fun, like Daytona, doing the Rolex course. I think the Caddy is too heavy and you just can't get enough Gs on it for sustained periods. Road Atlanta doesn't have long sweepers. It's a damned fast track and scares me more than most with that last crazy-ass turn. I think VIR in hog pen or the Glen in the sweeper after the bus stop strains the oil from draining back worse. Also Sebring on the last turn. Again all those assume you have really good grip. Street tires would be sliding long before you starve the motor.

In my C5 Z06 I have a modded, after 50K miles, LS6. All top end. Heads, intake, cam, rods, timing chain, oil pump, headers. Dyno came out to about 456/rwhp. Red line is set to 7000 (could go to 7200-7400). I try not to hit it much but I do in 3rd some of the time. No oiling issues or starvation. I run no sump but I do have an oil cooler mounted in the nose. So running about 8qts in the motor. My power band from 4-7K looks and feels great. The car is also stripped and weighs in about 2800lbs empty. Coil-over suspension with poly bushings and Wilwood brakes. Corner weighted and max camber we could get running on Grand Am Continentals (Hoosiers) or Hoosier A6/R6 scrubs.

The LS6 loves track duty and will take it all day long. Just bring about 1 qt of oil to replace. They tend to blow by a lot even with a catch can setup. But they don't blow up!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    You may be able to whip it sideways and it might spike that high when it catches, but the $1000 for it even hitting 1.3 was for liqidvenom. Lol
    Including V2s?

Jeff James is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 V1

LS3 would be a better DD and still leave you grinning from ear to ear every time you get in it. I def. second this notion. The LS3 has way more potential for gain. Run your LS6 until it breaks!! Suggest getting a GM reman.(may have some new ones still) LS3 GS engine and Intake. You will have the coveted Dry sump (DD may have space issues to add a DS tank) and a 12m/12k warranty. Do NOT buy it from Summit or Jeg's unless you want to get F'd on the warranty. An LS3 with hot Cam or even ASA will be way more docile (ie: driveable) on the street and go like hell on the track. It will also have much low end Tq than a heavily modded 400*RWHP LS6.
    BTW- The new Z28 will have an LS7 and the Dry sump is std. Not sure where the tank is though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.