Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I started this question in my other thread but decided to make a thread dedicated to it. Had a monster ...
  1. #1
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern IN
    Posts
    984

    Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    I started this question in my other thread but decided to make a thread dedicated to it. Had a monster stage 2 clutch installed with the 28lb flywheel. Everything seems nice and smooth engagement and no more "clunk". I have noticed though that at the half-way point for the clutch pedal I get a vibration in the pedal. It almost feels like a buzzing or very fine vibration. If I hold the pedal half-way the vibration is constant. Seems to be only with mid to higher RPM's also. I'm new to the "single-mass" flywheel, so is this normal ?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    lollygagger8's Avatar
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,929

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    You'll definitely feel more of everything going from the dual mass turd to a regular FW.

    But knowing your luck with transmissions, maybe it's moved it's way up to your clutch? lol

  4. #3
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    731

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    I think you're over-analyzing due to being recently burned. I just had F1 LS7 clutch and 20lb lightweight flywheel installed. As lolly said, you can feel more of everything. The biggest change for me is being able to feel the pulsing of cylinder fire through the gas pedal. Not really feeling much different through the clutch pedal though.

    The DM flywheel's very purpose of existence was to absorb vibrations. It's normal that you are experiencing more.

  5. #4
    BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Wylie, TX
    Posts
    387

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    Hey Hamstar,

    How do you like that setup? Was looking at that after fuzzy said something to me about it. Still wish I knew what I had under there to begin with without having to take everything apart!

    BDV

  6. #5
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    731

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    Hi BDV, I had a FAST 102 installed during the same session. I'm not sure whether it's the FAST or the lightweight flywheel, but the revs are really erratic when pushing the clutch in. The car needs to be tuned badly. Furthermore, I can't really stomp on it till the 500 mile break period is over. The current plan is to wait till the 500 miles are up, then go in and have it tuned. I'll really only be able to review it at that point.

    I can tell you however that my builder/tuner thought all the parts looked good and said the install went really well. He did say that the "lightweight F1 chromoly" flywheel looked like an LS2 flywheel that had had 6 lbs drilled out of it.

  7. #6
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern IN
    Posts
    984
    Thread Starter

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    I noticed today that I can put it in Neutral and rev it up and still get the same feeling in the clutch pedal when pushed in halfway. I wondered if it was the cylinder pulses being it is such a fine vibration. I don't feel anything in the gas pedal. FuzzyLogic mentioned flywheel bolts not being torqued properly... anyone have any thoughts on that ?

    ----------

    OK, was out in the drive-way. Pressed clutch half-way and then played with the throttle and I could clearly feel how it was the cylinder pulses. So I guess this mystery is solved.

    Now to diagnose the "Service Stability System" that started popping up, and had a P0420 code yesterday; CAT's seem to be working now according to my laptop. Never-ending....

    ----------

    Why do I feel these pulses when the clutch is half-way in; seems I should feel them most when the clutch is completely engaged ?

  8. #7
    DDS rollin a CTS's Avatar
    DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,639

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    I got my car back from the shop on Saturday, I too have a "vibration" in the clutch pedal, good to hear that it isn't something wrong. One question I had for you guys though, did you shim the new clutch at all? The mechanic said the instructions from Monster said not to, but he's a high-performance guy and he thinks it should be. The shifter is definitely stiffer going into all gears, especially reverse followed closely by 1st, he seemed to think shimming would help with that but wanted me to do the break-in first. On that topic they kept stressing that I had to drive the 1st 500 miles "like a little old lady" but damn is that hard to do! I've made it about 150 miles so far and don't know how much longer I can hold back!

    FYI I went with the Monster stage 2 with 18lb flywheel.

  9. #8
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern IN
    Posts
    984
    Thread Starter

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDS rollin a CTS View Post
    I got my car back from the shop on Saturday, I too have a "vibration" in the clutch pedal, good to hear that it isn't something wrong. One question I had for you guys though, did you shim the new clutch at all? The mechanic said the instructions from Monster said not to, but he's a high-performance guy and he thinks it should be. The shifter is definitely stiffer going into all gears, especially reverse followed closely by 1st, he seemed to think shimming would help with that but wanted me to do the break-in first. On that topic they kept stressing that I had to drive the 1st 500 miles "like a little old lady" but damn is that hard to do! I've made it about 150 miles so far and don't know how much longer I can hold back!

    FYI I went with the Monster stage 2 with 18lb flywheel.
    I had the dealer install mine per Monster's instructions. If everything works without a shim why would we need to add one?

    What did they do to fix your trans grind ?

    and yeah... I'm still under my 500 miles too

  10. #9
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    731

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    Just to be clear-- I don't have a vibration in the clutch pedal with the F1 Stage 2 LS7 setup, but in the gas pedal.

  11. #10
    lollygagger8's Avatar
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,929

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Hi BDV, I had a FAST 102 installed during the same session. I'm not sure whether it's the FAST or the lightweight flywheel, but the revs are really erratic when pushing the clutch in. The car needs to be tuned badly. Furthermore, I can't really stomp on it till the 500 mile break period is over. The current plan is to wait till the 500 miles are up, then go in and have it tuned. I'll really only be able to review it at that point.

    I can tell you however that my builder/tuner thought all the parts looked good and said the install went really well. He did say that the "lightweight F1 chromoly" flywheel looked like an LS2 flywheel that had had 6 lbs drilled out of it.
    I too have eratic idle issues with the FAST 102. Tuned by Frost is coming into town the end of this week to retune. Hopefully he fixes 'er up.

  12. #11
    SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern IN
    Posts
    984
    Thread Starter

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    So what kind of car does a "non-dual mass" flywheel normally go in. I'm still learning about all this clutch / flywheel stuff. =) How do those cars not have the vibrations we do.

  13. #12
    lollygagger8's Avatar
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,929

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    So what kind of car does a "non-dual mass" flywheel normally go in. I'm still learning about all this clutch / flywheel stuff. =) How do those cars not have the vibrations we do.
    The dual mass FW is supposed to increse the smoothness of shifts and make it easier on the transmission. It "gives" a little before engaging.

    They go in diesels alot.

    You get alot more vibes once you replace the dual mass with a regular FW. Hence why you are feeling vibrations more since the switch.

    Welcome to modding the V into something better, and leaving the Cadillac part of this car further behind you.

  14. #13
    DDS rollin a CTS's Avatar
    DDS rollin a CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,639

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    I had the dealer install mine per Monster's instructions. If everything works without a shim why would we need to add one?

    What did they do to fix your trans grind ?

    and yeah... I'm still under my 500 miles too
    I don't know why the guy was recommending shimming, I called Monster and they wanted to talk to the tech to figure out why he was recommending that.

    To fix the grind they replace 3rd gear and 3rd gear synchro, and something else.

    Almost to 250 miles now

  15. #14
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    731

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    I too have eratic idle issues with the FAST 102. Tuned by Frost is coming into town the end of this week to retune. Hopefully he fixes 'er up.
    I've seen some posts that this happens when you mate a stock LS2 90 TB to a 102 opening. The solution is purported to be an adaptor designed by VMax called the velocity ring. I'm curious to hear what Frost has to say.

  16. #15
    PISNUOFF Guest

    Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

    I installed the vmax ring on my 102 with a 90 mm tb. I don't have the erratic idle issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting