Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

6K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  ctsv247 
#1 ·
I started this question in my other thread but decided to make a thread dedicated to it. Had a monster stage 2 clutch installed with the 28lb flywheel. Everything seems nice and smooth engagement and no more "clunk". I have noticed though that at the half-way point for the clutch pedal I get a vibration in the pedal. It almost feels like a buzzing or very fine vibration. If I hold the pedal half-way the vibration is constant. Seems to be only with mid to higher RPM's also. I'm new to the "single-mass" flywheel, so is this normal ?

#3 ·
I think you're over-analyzing due to being recently burned. I just had F1 LS7 clutch and 20lb lightweight flywheel installed. As lolly said, you can feel more of everything. The biggest change for me is being able to feel the pulsing of cylinder fire through the gas pedal. Not really feeling much different through the clutch pedal though.

The DM flywheel's very purpose of existence was to absorb vibrations. It's normal that you are experiencing more.

#5 ·
Hi BDV, I had a FAST 102 installed during the same session. I'm not sure whether it's the FAST or the lightweight flywheel, but the revs are really erratic when pushing the clutch in. The car needs to be tuned badly. Furthermore, I can't really stomp on it till the 500 mile break period is over. The current plan is to wait till the 500 miles are up, then go in and have it tuned. I'll really only be able to review it at that point.

I can tell you however that my builder/tuner thought all the parts looked good and said the install went really well. He did say that the "lightweight F1 chromoly" flywheel looked like an LS2 flywheel that had had 6 lbs drilled out of it.

#6 ·
I noticed today that I can put it in Neutral and rev it up and still get the same feeling in the clutch pedal when pushed in halfway. I wondered if it was the cylinder pulses being it is such a fine vibration. I don't feel anything in the gas pedal. FuzzyLogic mentioned flywheel bolts not being torqued properly... anyone have any thoughts on that ?

----------

OK, was out in the drive-way. Pressed clutch half-way and then played with the throttle and I could clearly feel how it was the cylinder pulses. So I guess this mystery is solved.

Now to diagnose the "Service Stability System" that started popping up, and had a P0420 code yesterday; CAT's seem to be working now according to my laptop. Never-ending.... :D

----------

Why do I feel these pulses when the clutch is half-way in; seems I should feel them most when the clutch is completely engaged ?

#7 ·
I got my car back from the shop on Saturday, I too have a "vibration" in the clutch pedal, good to hear that it isn't something wrong. One question I had for you guys though, did you shim the new clutch at all? The mechanic said the instructions from Monster said not to, but he's a high-performance guy and he thinks it should be. The shifter is definitely stiffer going into all gears, especially reverse followed closely by 1st, he seemed to think shimming would help with that but wanted me to do the break-in first. On that topic they kept stressing that I had to drive the 1st 500 miles "like a little old lady" but damn is that hard to do! I've made it about 150 miles so far and don't know how much longer I can hold back!

FYI I went with the Monster stage 2 with 18lb flywheel.

#8 ·
I got my car back from the shop on Saturday, I too have a "vibration" in the clutch pedal, good to hear that it isn't something wrong. One question I had for you guys though, did you shim the new clutch at all? The mechanic said the instructions from Monster said not to, but he's a high-performance guy and he thinks it should be. The shifter is definitely stiffer going into all gears, especially reverse followed closely by 1st, he seemed to think shimming would help with that but wanted me to do the break-in first. On that topic they kept stressing that I had to drive the 1st 500 miles "like a little old lady" but damn is that hard to do! I've made it about 150 miles so far and don't know how much longer I can hold back!

FYI I went with the Monster stage 2 with 18lb flywheel.
I had the dealer install mine per Monster's instructions. If everything works without a shim why would we need to add one?

What did they do to fix your trans grind ?

and yeah... I'm still under my 500 miles too :annoyed:

#12 ·
The dual mass FW is supposed to increse the smoothness of shifts and make it easier on the transmission. It "gives" a little before engaging.

They go in diesels alot.

You get alot more vibes once you replace the dual mass with a regular FW. Hence why you are feeling vibrations more since the switch.

Welcome to modding the V into something better, and leaving the Cadillac part of this car further behind you. :lildevil:

#20 ·
Bringing up an old thread.. I just finished my LS7 clutch and flywheel install. Used a set from lindsay cadillac. stock ls7 flywheel/ clutch/ slave/ new cts-v pilot/ arp flywheel bolts/ stock pressure plate bolts. I had fully intended to get the wheel and plate balanced, and slacked off... then kind of spur of the moment we decided to replace it this long weekend, so I didnt get it balanced (beyond factory balance). Everything went fairly smoothly other than a few pain in the butt bellhousing bolts. I torqued the pressure plate bolts to 48ft -lbs according to advice from multiple posts by fuzzylogic. I torqued the flywheel bolts to 85ft-lbs according to the arp instructions using locktite and arp tru-torque moly lube. Bleeding the clutch was as painless as possible using the tick performance speed bleeder.. right off the bat air came out of the line, then dark fluid, then southern coffee, then clean fluid and no air other than initially. Pedal felt great right off the bat. engagement happens about 2" off the floor and has been creeping up over the last 60 miles. What i've noticed is that about 2200rpms I get a light buzzing in the clutch pedal upon engagement. Also I can hear more engine noise throughout the car above that 2200rpms. Other than that it seems great so far.

#26 ·
I think next time I'm gonna go LS7. My monster stage 2 has a slight chatter when it is cold. Seems nice and smooth once warm; but the little bit of chatter when cold can't be normal. Dealer followed their directions exactly when installing. They even called me one time to confirm a question.

#28 ·
The ls7 clutch isn't a favorite over in the manual transmission section at ls1tech. After reading the negative reviews, it seems that most are posted by 4th gen f-body guys. They seem to have better luck with the monster stage 2 but i think the factory f body hydraulics may play some role in their problems....maybe.

The v1 seems to do well with the ls7 from all you read here (on a stockish motor at least)....seems like a no brainer at this point!

Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.