Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by HAMSTAR I've seen some posts that this happens when you mate a stock LS2 90 TB to ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Monster Stage 2 Clutch & 28lb Flywheel - Vibration in Clutch Pedal ?

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    I've seen some posts that this happens when you mate a stock LS2 90 TB to a 102 opening. The solution is purported to be an adaptor designed by VMax called the velocity ring. I'm curious to hear what Frost has to say.
    Mine's a Nick Williams 102 TB....almost stick your fist through the prick lol.

If anyone is able to get the car tuned right, it's Frost. I'll let you know what he has to say.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Mine's a Nick Williams 102 TB....almost stick your fist through the prick lol.

If anyone is able to get the car tuned right, it's Frost. I'll let you know what he has to say.
    That's interesting, because I thought a 102 TB to FAST 102 would not result in the erratic idle/idle search problem. Please do let me know what he says.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I installed the vmax ring on my 102 with a 90 mm tb. I don't have the erratic idle issue.
    Did you install in anticipation of a problem or did you install it to cure a problem with erratic idle/idle search? Also, wondering where you bought it from?

OP, sorry to go so off track.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    That's interesting, because I thought a 102 TB to FAST 102 would not result in the erratic idle/idle search problem. Please do let me know what he says.[COLOR="Silver"]
    He's still tuning it, but he said the lightweight flywheel (18lb) is the culprit.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    He's still tuning it, but he said the lightweight flywheel (18lb) is the culprit.
    Hmmm... seeing as how I installed both at the same time, that could be. Please see if you can get any information from him as to why a lightweight flywheel could do that.

Thanks!

voodoochikin04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts, 2004 Cts-v

Bringing up an old thread.. I just finished my LS7 clutch and flywheel install. Used a set from lindsay cadillac. stock ls7 flywheel/ clutch/ slave/ new cts-v pilot/ arp flywheel bolts/ stock pressure plate bolts. I had fully intended to get the wheel and plate balanced, and slacked off... then kind of spur of the moment we decided to replace it this long weekend, so I didnt get it balanced (beyond factory balance). Everything went fairly smoothly other than a few pain in the butt bellhousing bolts. I torqued the pressure plate bolts to 48ft -lbs according to advice from multiple posts by fuzzylogic. I torqued the flywheel bolts to 85ft-lbs according to the arp instructions using locktite and arp tru-torque moly lube. Bleeding the clutch was as painless as possible using the tick performance speed bleeder.. right off the bat air came out of the line, then dark fluid, then southern coffee, then clean fluid and no air other than initially. Pedal felt great right off the bat. engagement happens about 2" off the floor and has been creeping up over the last 60 miles. What i've noticed is that about 2200rpms I get a light buzzing in the clutch pedal upon engagement. Also I can hear more engine noise throughout the car above that 2200rpms. Other than that it seems great so far.
    carlson_mn likes this.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    Bringing up an old thread.. I just finished my LS7 clutch and flywheel install. Used a set from lindsay cadillac. stock ls7 flywheel/ clutch/ slave/ new cts-v pilot/ arp flywheel bolts/ stock pressure plate bolts. I had fully intended to get the wheel and plate balanced, and slacked off... then kind of spur of the moment we decided to replace it this long weekend, so I didnt get it balanced (beyond factory balance). Everything went fairly smoothly other than a few pain in the butt bellhousing bolts. I torqued the pressure plate bolts to 48ft -lbs according to advice from multiple posts by fuzzylogic. I torqued the flywheel bolts to 85ft-lbs according to the arp instructions using locktite and arp tru-torque moly lube. Bleeding the clutch was as painless as possible using the tick performance speed bleeder.. right off the bat air came out of the line, then dark fluid, then southern coffee, then clean fluid and no air other than initially. Pedal felt great right off the bat. engagement happens about 2" off the floor and has been creeping up over the last 60 miles. What i've noticed is that about 2200rpms I get a light buzzing in the clutch pedal upon engagement. Also I can hear more engine noise throughout the car above that 2200rpms. Other than that it seems great so far.
    It's just the pulses from the cylinders firing. Hold clutch halfway and play with the throttle, you'll get a feel for it. Has to do with loosing that dual-mass FW. I know its still there in my car, but I literally forgot about it now unless I pay attention for it.
    carlson_mn likes this.

I was just adding to the confirmation that this is normal
    carlson_mn likes this.

Now what's not normal is the way your hands and fingers have to operate to remove one studded bell housing bolt on the passenger side... Impossible to do with anything other than a short wrench moving 1/32 of a turn at a time.....

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
    I was just adding to the confirmation that this is normal
    LOL, I misread that as a question.

ctsv247 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

So did the question about shimming ever get answered and after everyone's breakin periods, how do you feel about your stage 2 monsters?

I think next time I'm gonna go LS7. My monster stage 2 has a slight chatter when it is cold. Seems nice and smooth once warm; but the little bit of chatter when cold can't be normal. Dealer followed their directions exactly when installing. They even called me one time to confirm a question.

BigDaddy-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 04 LS6

Well you helped my me make my choice on what to go with when I do mine down the road off your last post!

BDV

ctsv247 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

The ls7 clutch isn't a favorite over in the manual transmission section at ls1tech. After reading the negative reviews, it seems that most are posted by 4th gen f-body guys. They seem to have better luck with the monster stage 2 but i think the factory f body hydraulics may play some role in their problems....maybe.

The v1 seems to do well with the ls7 from all you read here (on a stockish motor at least)....seems like a no brainer at this point!

Thanks guys!
    BigDaddy-V likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.