Gto rear end on ctsv?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blown_Red_97z
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Gto rear end on ctsv? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm new to the ctsv world but know the LS2 gto. So why didn't gm use the gto IRS on ...
    Blown_Red_97z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTSV

Gto rear end on ctsv?

I'm new to the ctsv world but know the LS2 gto. So why didn't gm use the gto IRS on the ctsv? The wheel hop issue was known on the gtos as well but we just used drag bags from speed inc and all was well. So why didn't gm just use a pretty proven rear on this car? Why do ctsv rears (diffs) grenade under wheel hop? That wasn't a known issue with the gtos just the axles spinning under 400+ rwhp. I'm not trying to bag on the ctsv I really like this car.
    sgtdestruction likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Gto rear end on ctsv?

There are many reasons why they didn't use the Holden rear diff, most likely because they were designed by different engineers. You can put drag bags on the stock CTS-V rear springs. The V diff grenades because it over-angulates the pinion CV and the weakest part is the snout casing so it rips it off.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

b/c the sigma platform wasnt designed for the V series, the V1 was an after thought. old school mentality, throw a big motor in there and some high dollar shocks and let her rip. who cares if the diff fails, we will only sell 9,000 units and the cost of putting in a diff in the sigma that can handle the power will cost more than the warranty claims..

Bewbzout is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): S60R / Impala SS

Wow didnt know this. Is this really common? Might turn me away from getting one

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I have a cradle sitting in my garage I had dreams of mating to a Holden/Holder rear diff.

Been there for at least three years.

NickL84 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cts-V

In all honesty, some V1s will grenade under a light load (daily driving), others will blow up when they are beaten on, then you
    have some that just take the abuse and don't break. I don't drag race my car, however, I get after it in my 05 V, and all I have
    are delrin cradle bushings right now. With that being said, ***knocks on wood***, I have yet to break it, my last V was the
    same case, it never broke. I also came from an 03 Cobra, which wheel hop was a more common occurrence than a V, so I'm used to just feeling when the car just feels like it's not going to lay the tires down, so I let out of it and continue on, others just
    hammer it and hope for the best.

I've been torn whether to keep my V1, upgrade to a V2, or pick up a 94 Supra with a 65mm turbo, and every time I come out to this car, I just can't get rid of it, no other car has kept me hooked like this. Test drive one and see how you like the feel of it. It's lighter than the GTO, handles better imo, and looks a hell of a lot better.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Just get a 9" Gforce and be done with it.

CTS-V_07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V
    ^or a CS 8.8 set up

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Excuse me, Harrop is the race parts builder.

http://www.harrop.com.au/driveline.php

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    V1 diffs will not grenade under DD conditions. Bring in wheelhop and it will...

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewbzout View Post
    Wow didnt know this. Is this really common? Might turn me away from getting one
    As opposed to what? An M3 or S4 or C63 that requires you to take a second mortgage out on your house to get stuff for... I remember my buddy at work had this SN95 stang sitting in his garage... But he took out his C63 instead to show off and was doing burnouts and blew the trans... Warranty wouldn't cover it so he was out like $6k (if memory serves) for a bone stock trans. I'll stick with my american made stuff thanks. If you spent $6k on an auto or manual in a GM car, it would be indestructible. Really the rear end isn't that big of a deal. $4k and it will NEVER break again, granted it IS a Ford rear end but they are darn good... I'm going to keep my V for a long ass time so its worth it to me.

I was looking at the B7 RS4 and the V when I ended up getting the V. People are still getting nearly $35-40k for some of the B7s RS4s. I mean shit, for that price difference you could have the more expensive ford9 rear end, rebuild the motor, upgrade the trans, clutch, all the mounts/bushings, and toss on a supercharger... If you can handle some of the labor yourself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.