Pagine PISSNUOFF - Shifter Damage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By PISNUOFF
  • 4 Post By RyRidesMotoX
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Pagine PISSNUOFF - Shifter Damage in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was at the track today. Did a couple of sessions, but on the way out to the street my ...
    repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Pagine PISSNUOFF - Shifter Damage

I was at the track today. Did a couple of sessions, but on the way out to the street my shifter felt incredibly loose.

I was able to get it home. In the garage, I pulled on the shift knob so that I could take it off and disassemble the shifter to check the linkage when the entire shifter lifted out of the console in a single piece.

I am pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen. The rubber bushings attached to the piece of the shifter that stayed attached to the linkage was all worn, and the bottom boot had completely torn.

What should I do? PISSNUOFF this is one of your shifters, about 3 years old - is it meant to come apart like that? I didn' think it was.

Also - the looseness was the linkage at the bottom, the two bolts are completely loose. So I have two problems.

Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to replace this shifter?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Pagine PISSNUOFF - Shifter Damage

It looks like the rubber separated when you tried to remove the knob (or when you were shifting at the track) and you ripped the internal rubber boot. The boot is part of the hold down plate inside the console and is designed to keep moisture out of the console. I can't imagine that much water from the road will get through the shifter pivot assembly.

You also have issues with the bottom bolt? I am not sure what that could be, possibly worn out bushings. Three years ago I reused the stock bushings in my shifters. I have since started replacing all of them with tighter fitting Delrin ones that I have made.

I will send you an entirely new shifter. I won't be able to ship it until Wednesday or Thursday. Please swap it out at your convenience and send me the old one. PM me your address to verify it hasn't changed.

Sorry for your troubles,
    Brian
    sgtdestruction likes this.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

^^^ Holy customer service batman... In the middle of an engine build he is going to send someone a brand new shifter SWEET. I guess I know where I am getting mine from soon.
    odla, PISNUOFF, FoD and 1 others like this.

repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    It looks like the rubber separated when you tried to remove the knob (or when you were shifting at the track) and you ripped the internal rubber boot. The boot is part of the hold down plate inside the console and is designed to keep moisture out of the console. I can't imagine that much water from the road will get through the shifter pivot assembly.

You also have issues with the bottom bolt? I am not sure what that could be, possibly worn out bushings. Three years ago I reused the stock bushings in my shifters. I have since started replacing all of them with tighter fitting Delrin ones that I have made.

I will send you an entirely new shifter. I won't be able to ship it until Wednesday or Thursday. Please swap it out at your convenience and send me the old one. PM me your address to verify it hasn't changed.

Sorry for your troubles,
    Brian
    Brian - I really appreciate it! I will PM you my new address.

I have the Delrin bushings too - I put them in on your recommendation.

My secondary issue is the two bolts at the bottom on either side of the shifter - they can be seen in the first picture.. They both got loose, although one side is looser than the other. I am going to try to get under the car tonight and see what it looks like on the other side. I'll post up pics if I can't figure out what is going on.

Do you think I should order a new internal rubber boot?

Thanks again. You are a big part of what makes this community so great.

PISNUOFF Guest

Those two bolts attach the outer linkage bars to the body. They pull on the bracket that houses the rubber (or polyurethane if you replaced them) bushings. Unless they are stripped I would just inspect the bushings and tighten them back up when you install the new one. You can put a little loctite on those two bolts. I don't recommend using loctite on the studs/nuts for the hold down plate.

I wouldn't worry too much about the boot. You might want to give Luke at Lindsay Cadillac a call and see how much a new hold down plate is. I'm guessing its quite a bit, but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.