Twin Turbo Kit for V1 - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Twin Turbo Kit for V1 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by NC-V There are only two spots on the V1's where you could put a "bolt on" TT ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Twin Turbo Kit for V1

Quote Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
    There are only two spots on the V1's where you could put a "bolt on" TT kit, they are in the factory cat location or the factory muffler location. Any other spot under the car and you will not have ground clearance, and to do anything in the engine bay would require wayy too much modification to be "bolt on".

Pretty much any of the long tube headers out there I have seen terminate too close to the floor area under the car to mount a turbo and each manufacturer would require different length piping and attachment... again, not really feasible to build a bolt-on kit for headers.

My thoughts on a bolt on turbo kit: Design the base kit around a safe power/boost level for a factory motor (~6-9 psi), and let people modify from there as they wish. Use the factory cat location with factory manifolds. Supply all hot and cold pipes (to mate to factory exhaust location), valves, cooler, oil supply/return, turbos, etc. as a "tuner" kit. Then with enough interest, also offer it as a complete kit with injectors, BAP or replacement pump and handheld tuner as a complete kit for the consumer in their garage (obviously this would require a large enough market to go this far).

Twins typically require more R&D than a supercharger setup, but also have more flexibility in terms of power, so expect it to be priced accordingly. Good luck with this, I will be watching intently.
    One of the most rational posts in this thread thus far, IMHO.
    lollygagger8 likes this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

^^^yeah, I agree. My post is coming from a DIY enthusiast and mechanically inclined.

I stopped by my local speedshop and discussed this kit. I believe he made some calls to LG jr for some basic info on the kit. Anyways, with a goal of 600-650whp on a stock block was more than a little risky was the feedback. They tune 5psi on a stock LS1/LS6 block. Spit-balling hp vs boost numbers...it is roughly 24whp for every 1psi boost.

IF 5psi makes 500whp then doing the math says 9psi will bring you into the 600whp range. Based on these assumptions, the block has to be yanked and built to handle that kinda boost. The fueling is the other issue. There are tons of threads on fueling issues getting past 550whp. A return line would be needed along with larger fuel pump(s) and wiring etc.

Upgrading the fuel system is within my DIY talent but yanking the block and building it is a learning curve for me. When my speedshop was informing me of what is required to give that kind of power reliably and the basic cost they charge...I was like phuuuuuuuck thaaaaat! In order to bring the cost significantly down, I gotta keep this DIY. I'm only on day 2 of researching how to yank and build an LS6 with a Chris Werner hand book. All I can say is I got 4-5 months to figure it out and get it done myself.

I spoke with the shop tech who does most of the yanking and installing of engines etc. His advice was to go with a different block...LSX. I think his reasoning was because GM doesn't make the LS6 anymore...

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

The LS6 block will easily handle 600rwhp. There is no need for a $2000 iron block at that level.

Return style fuel system isn't required either. My STS-V had no trouble at 575rwhp with the same fuel system as in the CTS-V1. I'm not sure if the pump is the same though. I was using the stock pump with a BAP on it.

Don't over-think this. If any stock part is not up to the task you can turn the boost down till you get time and funds to upgrade it.
    lollygagger8 likes this.

Jsmitty02z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    ^^^yeah, I agree. My post is coming from a DIY enthusiast and mechanically inclined.

I stopped by my local speedshop and discussed this kit. I believe he made some calls to LG jr for some basic info on the kit. Anyways, with a goal of 600-650whp on a stock block was more than a little risky was the feedback. They tune 5psi on a stock LS1/LS6 block. Spit-balling hp vs boost numbers...it is roughly 24whp for every 1psi boost.

IF 5psi makes 500whp then doing the math says 9psi will bring you into the 600whp range. Based on these assumptions, the block has to be yanked and built to handle that kinda boost. The fueling is the other issue. There are tons of threads on fueling issues getting past 550whp. A return line would be needed along with larger fuel pump(s) and wiring etc.

Upgrading the fuel system is within my DIY talent but yanking the block and building it is a learning curve for me. When my speedshop was informing me of what is required to give that kind of power reliably and the basic cost they charge...I was like phuuuuuuuck thaaaaat! In order to bring the cost significantly down, I gotta keep this DIY. I'm only on day 2 of researching how to yank and build an LS6 with a Chris Werner hand book. All I can say is I got 4-5 months to figure it out and get it done myself.

I spoke with the shop tech who does most of the yanking and installing of engines etc. His advice was to go with a different block...LSX. I think his reasoning was because GM doesn't make the LS6 anymore...
    I believe you are referring to SpeedSouth. Yes they called Anthony and was Informed that Louis is more than capable of producing this kit. Stock LS6 will handle the horsepower no problem. That's a shop trying to get an extra dollar out of you. I worked with SpeedSouth in fact I use to ship to them on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmitty02z28 View Post
    I believe you are referring to SpeedSouth. Yes they called Anthony and was Informed that Louis is more than capable of producing this kit. Stock LS6 will handle the horsepower no problem. That's a shop trying to get an extra dollar out of you. I worked with SpeedSouth in fact I use to ship to them on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback
    Yep that's the shop. I pressed the issue with Jim on the reliability sustaining that power. From there it just kinda went into discussing motor builds. So many of their customers put a ton of wear and tear at the strip and track. Regarding the TT kit, yeah he pretty much said it should be a quality kit. I'll just focus on the rear-end, clutch, and valve train for now. That should keep me busy for a few weekends.

Thanks!

I know by the high volume of race parts that they were big into the racing scene in fact I delivered a motor and carbon fiber fenders to them last march for a race car they were taking to the track. It's a nice shop.

While you guys are great at fab work...I would love to see a fuel kit as an add-on. On my little s2k, I used a Fullblown 340lph (super quiet) fuel pump with ID1000cc injectors and my injector duty was 66% WOT with a FPR set at 50psi connected to a vacuum line. No boost spark or BAP crap.

I don't mind rewiring and running new lines. A dual pump hangar, drop in tank kit would be really nice. Just a FYI... I ran out of fuel using a 255 Walbro and RC750cc on the 4-banger at 25psi boost making a tad over 500whp.

I don't expect the TT kit to include such an elaborate fuel system but possibly consider it as an add-on.

Blown_Red_97z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTSV
    I agree BAP is just a band aid. A good kit should call out using larger injectors and fuel pump, or you should expect to do those things with the install. Also I've seen tt ls2 gtos make we'll over 12 psi on a stock motor when the fuel and tune are done right. These motors can take the boost.... The rest of the drive train might not like it so much

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

If this kit takes off, Max can expect to sell a lot more 8.8 kits...
    MotorMounts and RyRidesMotoX like this.

The count down starts 30 days till we start this kit.

Thanks guys for the feedback

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    If this kit takes off, Max can expect to sell a lot more 8.8 kits...
    Well, he just got a purchase from me. That along with a new clutch should unlock some fun.

H-town_V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v
    Is this still in the works?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

The count down starts 30 days till we start this kit ...
    Quote Originally Posted by H-town_V View Post
    Is this still in the works?
    They start this Wednesday. Two more days.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I want pics, and prices. I'd be up for this instead of a Procharger if it's a legit kit and priced well.

LS6's will take 600HP all day everyday. I'll be the guinea pig and try it out. I ain't scuuurrred.

----------

These are people that expressed interest so far. Thanks guys.

Philistine
    Ny's Caddy
    Rand49er
    CTS-V_07
    Onebadcaddie
    Hamstar

Aftermarket headers
    Manofmetal01
    DMM

Add me to the list

I believe by "start" he means begin measurements, fabrication, and testing. I'm guessing it would take 3-4 months before any kits start rolling out. It would make one hell of a x-mas stocking stuffer!
    rand49er likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.