Twin Turbo Kit for V1 - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Twin Turbo Kit for V1 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Jsmitty02z28 That is a good idea and would cut cost down significantly. However we are trying to ...
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: Twin Turbo Kit for V1

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmitty02z28 View Post
    That is a good idea and would cut cost down significantly. However we are trying to supply a whole kit. If you want different turbos you can send us the turbos with the deposit when that time comes and we can match the flanges to the turbos. But the base kit would be made for twin GT30.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    I believe what he is saying is that sourcing the turbos is the easy part. It would naturally make sense to buy them from you guys, but the point he was making was that fabbing up the piping, intercooler locator brackets, etc. -- if you guys could do all that so it was truly bolt-in, that would be very well received.

Jsmitty02z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V
    Ill talk to Louis. If everybody agrees this us what they want then that's what we will do.

Jason

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    I believe what he is saying is that sourcing the turbos is the easy part. It would naturally make sense to buy them from you guys, but the point he was making was that fabbing up the piping, intercooler locator brackets, etc. -- if you guys could do all that so it was truly bolt-in, that would be very well received.
    No doubt that sourcing the turbos is the easy part. After all anyone with laptop and telephone can become a dealer and drop ship those. It also probably the most profitable part. If I were the seller, I would not want to provide the "kit" which involves the most R&D, the most work, and the lowest margin while others with no real investment in the market development "cherry picked" the most profitable component of the package.

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    No doubt that sourcing the turbos is the easy part. After all anyone with laptop and telephone can become a dealer and drop ship those. It also probably the most profitable part. If I were the seller, I would not want to provide the "kit" which involves the most R&D, the most work, and the lowest margin while others with no real investment in the market development "cherry picked" the most profitable component of the package.
    That depends upon how much the customer is willing to pay for pre-fabbed components. The most costly investment for such things, as you said, is time and effort, especially since the most difficult part is reproducibility. The raw materials for things like the piping are relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to turbos. As such, depending upon how much a person is willing to pay, such components could be profitable. If they have the facility and ability, once they create the first working kit (if measurements are properly documented), each subsequent kit will be easier (not necessarily easy, just not as hard) to make based off the plans. It is at that point that it will become profitable. However, the kink in all of this is that there must be a market in order for such a system to be profitable. Only around 10,000 V1's were made. One must consider how many owners out of those remaining would desire such a kit. Then one must consider how many can afford one. Then you have to think about how many just won't hear about it. The numbers of kits they could eventually sell could be quite low indeed. It's a legitimate risk to embark on such an endeavor, and if including turbos offsets the costs of time and effort, then they should. I wasn't really viewing the issue through profitability in my previous post. I should have. But my real point was that the true service they could offer would be the fabrication and routing of the piping and such.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by VincentT View Post
    That depends upon how much the customer is willing to pay for pre-fabbed components. The most costly investment for such things, as you said, is time and effort, especially since the most difficult part is reproducibility. The raw materials for things like the piping are relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to turbos. As such, depending upon how much a person is willing to pay, such components could be profitable. If they have the facility and ability, once they create the first working kit (if measurements are properly documented), each subsequent kit will be easier (not necessarily easy, just not as hard) to make based off the plans. It is at that point that it will become profitable. However, the kink in all of this is that there must be a market in order for such a system to be profitable. Only around 10,000 V1's were made. One must consider how many owners out of those remaining would desire such a kit. Then one must consider how many can afford one. Then you have to think about how many just won't hear about it. The numbers of kits they could eventually sell could be quite low indeed. It's a legitimate risk to embark on such an endeavor, and if including turbos offsets the costs of time and effort, then they should. I wasn't really viewing the issue through profitability in my previous post. I should have. But my real point was that the true service they could offer would be the fabrication and routing of the piping and such.
    I agree.

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    Im single, work in the canadian oil patch 2/3 of the year. I can and will afford this kit if it happens and is compatible with aftermarket headers. Make it a reality!

Quote Originally Posted by VincentT View Post
    Well said. We have considered the fact that there aren't very many people still interested in modding V1s. However we are trying to find the 4-5 people that want to and are interested in doing a twin kit for this car. Routing the pipe and fabricating everything is what we do. A kit like this could take 30 days or 6 months it just depends on the interest. I came up with the idea because I too want to twin turbo my V. Either way it's getting done I just thought it would be nice to make more of them and offer them to people who want it.

Jason

TimmyC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    Im single, work in the canadian oil patch 2/3 of the year. I can and will afford this kit if it happens and is compatible with aftermarket headers. Make it a reality!
    You guys should be hoping that it does not work with headers. They won't make any more power than manifolds and you can sell them to cut down on the cost of the kit.
    GDPossehl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    You guys should be hoping that it does not work with headers. They won't make any more power than manifolds and you can sell them to cut down on the cost of the kit.
    People make 1300HP on stock manifolds. Using a header isn't necessary. Our kit will use stock manifolds therefore you can take your kooks or any aftermarket header and sale them to help with cost of the turbo build. It's a win win for everybody.

Jason

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    I like the sound provided by my long tubes. Count me out if we have to revert back. Not to mention i sold my stock exhaust and manifolds to save on my aftermarket setup. Ill give my money to edelbrock and g&g on the tvs kit theyre working on.

philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

I'm interested in a TT kit, will comment later when you have more details.

I like the sound provided by my long tubes. Count me out if we have to revert back. Not to mention i sold my stock exhaust and manifolds to save on my aftermarket setup. Ill give my money to edelbrock and g&g on the tvs kit theyre working on.
    The sound of longtubes is irrelevant when turbos are added.

I'm not sure what Edelbrock kit you are referring to but I haven't seen one that produces the same numbers we are expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    I'm interested in a TT kit, will comment later when you have more details.
    Thank you sir we will have more details to come.

Jason

Using a header will force us to push the turbos further back not allowing for as much ground clearance. By using the placement of the cat we are allowing for more ground clearance for lowered cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.