CTS-V Suspension Tuning - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CTS-V Suspension Tuning in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Rear spring is done with spherical RSM and shocks adjusted per Fuzzys recommendations. The handling is great and the ride ...
    Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Re: CTS-V Suspension Tuning

Rear spring is done with spherical RSM and shocks adjusted per Fuzzys recommendations. The handling is great and the ride quality is very good. Front springs and poly suspension bushings next.

Anyone else finish the spring/springs change? Manofmetal01 how's the spring/ bushing install going?

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    Springs just arrived a few days ago but I'm waiting on more parts...and now I need a new rear tire...oops

CTSVLSX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

I'm waiting on the RSM's and ordering some springs. I was curious about the specs of Fuzzy's entire setup, which exact springs and thrust sheets on the back/front what the shock settings are etc. I want to use that as a baseline and tune from there. Trying to glean all the information from these threads is tedious
    If we could come up with a baseline for KW3 shocks that would be great. 896 rear 600 something front? what size springs and length and what clicks adjustment and height.
    After I get a good baseline will do the alignment aggressively..
    Maybe start another thread with different shocks/springs combos and some good baseline settings?

I'm still looking for someone with a corner weight machine in south florida..

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CTSVLSX View Post
    If we could come up with a baseline for KW3 shocks that would be great. 896 rear 600 something front? what size springs and length and what clicks adjustment and height.

Maybe start another thread with different shocks/springs combos and some good baseline settings?
    Honestly, the 574/896 combination is pretty nice. If you're looking for a comfortable, baseline KW Variant 3 build that can perform, it's not a bad place to be. It's probably more appropriate for CTS-Vs that are closer to stock.

I'm still working out the kinks on the 672/896 setup. I'm giving it a lot more attention than I did the 574/896 setup (which was only on the car for two weeks because I couldn't find the time to do all four corners on Day 1), factoring in end link lengths, ride height, corner weight, alignment, and so forth. Once I'm done, I'll type it all up for you to play with.

CTSVLSX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Awesome, ty! Mine is nowhere near stock lol.. In fact it has a LSX replica RHS block in it 430 cid and pretty much everything else I could do to it except appearance mods which I will do later.
    I really don't care that much about the ride being 'comfortable' as long as it's not teeth rattling going down a normal street that doesn't have any major defects. High speed stability and cornering is what I'm looking for. Planning on tracking it eventually but I'm having a heck of a time finding someone with a corner weight machine in palm beach county FL. Guess will have to do the old fashioned way by measuring the height or rolling each wheel up on something individually which skews balance a bit but might have to be done.

Most of the mods i have are the same ones listed in your signature aside from me swapping out my entire engine, and I sent the trans to liberty to get beefed up, and I have the geforce 9" IRS rear with 2 piece driveshaft. Nitrous is next on the list for a cool 1000HP

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I know of a place in Miami that can corner weigh the car.

The springs are in, I couldnt wait for the other parts to arrive. I haven't adjusted the rebound rate etc yet as the other parts will be here soon and ill do that then. I did manage to take about 3/8" out of the rear ride height with no issues yet. Looking forward to fully dialing this in but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    The springs are in, I couldnt wait for the other parts to arrive. I haven't adjusted the rebound rate etc yet as the other parts will be here soon and ill do that then. I did manage to take about 3/8" out of the rear ride height with no issues yet. Looking forward to fully dialing this in but so far so good.
    If you don't adjust the compression rate, the rear end will feel like a rock.

I will adjust. The other parts should be here monday. I can wait till then. Not running her hard. Just been detailing and stuff.

Made the adjustments...feels..well lovely really. I took a little chunk out of my new tire on a bump I didn't see in time. I think ill raise that side a hair and roll my fenders to prevent this in the future...last time that was a $500 oops..

Fuzzy, since doing your suspension mods, have you found it much easier to kick the ass end out and hold it there through 2nd and 3rd? I feel I have much more control now as to were I want the rear...coming out of corners sideways is almost natural now. Needless to say the car is even more a pleasure to drive, thanks for your hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    Fuzzy, since doing your suspension mods, have you found it much easier to kick the ass end out and hold it there through 2nd and 3rd? I feel I have much more control now as to were I want the rear...coming out of corners sideways is almost natural now. Needless to say the car is even more a pleasure to drive, thanks for your hard work!
    You're very welcome. I'm glad that you're enjoying the car more now. Us redline/infrared CTS-V guys have to stick together--and remind people that red cars always go faster!

The additional control you're describing is likely the result of being in the "sweet spot" between having maximum mechanical grip and control. With the original KW Variant 3 springs and settings, I felt that the car would just tilt/roll away from whatever I was doing, which was great for traction (until the outside tires let go), but made it difficult to wrest control away and point the car in the fastest direction. Mechanical grip is great to a point--you can't run fast when your feet are glued to the floor.

Update: I cut another slice off the Supra end link rod.

This tweak shortened the end link to the point where both nuts would *almost* be in contact with the arms of the end link, but still free to twist to follow the movement of the bar. The reason why I felt this was necessary was that my previous settings were too long to activate the sway bar when I wanted them to. I may shorten the end link further in the future, but I'll need a week or so to test.

If you decide you want to do this, just ensure that you cut the threaded rod to a length equal to or less than 54mm.

Great question, reprinted from LS1Tech:

Quote Originally Posted by Fweasel View Post
    I was under the impression that adjustable end links were used to dial out preload in the sway bar when corner balancing the suspension. I suppose if adjusted in extreme amounts in tandem, the pair could change the bars effective stiffness through geometry, but I'm missing how they would affect when the sway bar activates.
    It's true that end links can be used to dial-out preload.

The lesser-known fact (which, ironically, I consider more important) is that end link geometry determines how effective your sway bar is at canceling out body lean. Depending on your background, it might be hard to picture this without drawing force body diagrams. If you're willing to take my word for it, the nominal end link and sway bar geometry is pictured below:

Under nominal conditions, any differential compression or expansion of the vehicle's suspension (e.g. imagine the LCA in the picture above moving up or down) will transfer that force to the other side of the car through the sway bar. Notice how this is force is actually torque (T = r x F), as it is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the sway bar.

The force transfer is not 1:1--the sway bar twists under the torsion, acting like a massive straight spring, and reduces the degree to which load is shared between the sides of the vehicle. If the end links are too long or too short, the resultant, non-ideal geometry reduces the amount of the force that directly translates to torsion on the sway bar. What's left is not perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the sway bar, and essentially tries to rip the sway bar out of the car.

Unfortunately, this nominal geometry is very hard to achieve in modified vehicles--usually because the suspension geometry has changed due to lowering the vehicle. However, this can also happen to vehicles at stock height, because some aftermarket suspension parts do not match the OEM suspension geometry.

philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Put away your cheetos...there will be a test after viewing this, please show all your work.

JFWY, good info

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.