CTS-V Suspension Tuning - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CTS-V Suspension Tuning in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Guess what time it is? Swift Z70-203-120 springs (672 in-lbs) and Swift Z60-228-160 springs (896 in-lbs) Banski Motorsports Prototype Spherical ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: CTS-V Suspension Tuning

Guess what time it is?

Swift Z70-203-120 springs (672 in-lbs) and Swift Z60-228-160 springs (896 in-lbs)

Banski Motorsports Prototype Spherical CTS-V RSMs

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

Since I'm lucky enough to live near Sonoma Raceway, CA, I had Performance Shock dyno my LG Motorsport/Bilstein coilovers. The rebound was significantly increased on both front and rear shocks--the difference on the road is HUGE!! On top of that I ordered CCW SP600's (19x8.5 and 9.5) in satin black with Hankook RS3's (245/40 and 275/35).

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by BradCTSV View Post
    Since I'm lucky enough to live near Sonoma Raceway, CA, I had Performance Shock dyno my LG Motorsport/Bilstein coilovers. The rebound was significantly increased on both front and rear shocks--the difference on the road is HUGE!! On top of that I ordered CCW SP600's (19x8.5 and 9.5) in satin black with Hankook RS3's (245/40 and 275/35).
    I thought I was the only one that liked Hankook rs3 tires on my cars. It seems like everyone uses Michelin pilots on their V and vettes

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FuzzyLogic - Please contact CF Admin about becoming an Authorized Vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    FuzzyLogic - Please contact CF Admin about becoming an Authorized Vendor.
    I'm not selling anything (I work for an unrelated military contractor), and I receive zero compensation for any of this. This is a suspension tuning thread. Technical discussion.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Sorry for the mistake - several posts in the forum have been reported as advertising spam, have been analyzed, and you're clean. Read my PM. Thanks for the comeback.

Also, note that the other thread on suspension arms is back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Sorry for the mistake - several posts in the forum have been reported as advertising spam, have been analyzed, and you're clean. Read my PM. Thanks for the comeback.
    That's amusing. I take it Creative Steel marked my posts as advertising spam?

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I am in the same boat, where i am CF everywhere, except no roll cage. i have to check my spring rating, but i think i went with a 500/550, 12" front and 10" rear lengths.

I kept the rear setup pretty much like stock where the spring and shock are separate, just so i may have the widest tire possible.

I have from 450-650 in Hyperco spring ratings and in 8-12" length. So i am pretty much covered in all angles...

I dont think with a good spring brand you will need to go any higher than 600 for you have the chance to adjust the shocks more precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    I dont think with a good spring brand you will need to go any higher than 600 for you have the chance to adjust the shocks more precisely.
    I don't think you understand that springs provide constant support (i.e.: roll resistance) that shocks can never provide because they have valves and will "leak" oil past those valves during sustained G-loading.

For those of you following along:

I had just enough time yesterday to install the rear, 896 in-lb springs (front springs are still stock). Since adding more spring effectively increases compression dampening but requires more rebound to control, I instinctively set compression dampening to minimum and added one click of rebound dampening. Holy s**t the car feels good-- not only is it much faster during transitions, it's COMFORTABLE! This kind of ride quality would have been flat-out impossible with FG2s and the Ground Control kit.

The net effect is that the rear feels only about 10% stiffer under bump loads, but on turns, the body confidently follows the front of the car and refuses to roll.

In summary, I unequivocally recommend that all KW Variant 3 owners get a pair of 9", 60mm, 160 N-m springs and a pair of 65mm thrust sheets. It'll be $200 very well spent.

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

noted

experiencing front end push >1G so if this cures that as well as aformentioned plushness and roll resistance, then i'm game as that's exactly what i'm looking for.

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    These are not the Swift Z60-228-140 (9" length, 784 in-lbs) that you recommended to me? Curious why you chose to run different before I throw my order in.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Fuzzy,

Its great you are experimenting with your spring tension.

I am chatting with my suspension guy and working it out so i can be happy on the track and on the street

Quote Originally Posted by mackey View Post
    experiencing front end push >1G so if this cures that as well as aformentioned plushness and roll resistance, then i'm game as that's exactly what i'm looking for.
    At more than 1.0G, you're going to be fighting a lot of things. I never said that the ride was plush. It's about 10% stiffer than the KW Variant 3 with KW's recommended compression dampening setting. However, it's more comfortable because the car isn't pitching and the rear isn't rolling out from behind the front of the car.

It sounds like you're assuming that your front-end push is merely due to having lower roll resistance in the rear. Please note that this issue will be exacerbated if you're on the gas through the turn, since you'll be transferring even more load to the rear. I would also look at your alignment. Make sure you zero out your toe in the front, or maybe even set it to 0.05 degrees of positive toe per wheel (0.10 degree total). Whatever you decide, add at 0.02 degree of negative toe to the passenger side front wheel to prevent the car from wanting to drift right on roads with excessive crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmetal01 View Post
    These are not the Swift Z60-228-140 (9" length, 784 in-lbs) that you recommended to me? Curious why you chose to run different before I throw my order in.
    Could you refresh my memory? I don't remember when that was. I definitely recommended those springs for the guys running Ground Control kits.

To be frank, I took a risk (even though I believed my calculations) with the 896 in-lb rear springs (versus the 784 in-lb springs), because I didn't know how wide the compression valving on the KW Variant 3 opened, or how viscous the oil in the shocks was. If I recommended the 784 in-lb springs to you, it was because that was the "safe" option. First, 784 in-lb springs would have hugely reduced pitch on your car and fixed the lack of roll resistance in the rear, and second, the risk of you complaining that the ride was harsh was significantly less.

But as it turned out, with the rear shocks set to minimum compression (full open), the rear end's dynamic compression only increased by about 10%. It's comparable to a FG2/GC/600 in-lb spring. Knowing that, I can recommend the 896 in-lb springs for anyone with a KW Variant 3 kit. Your front/rear bias with the stock front springs is going to be -15%, which is smack in the middle of the 10-20% sweet spot.

barrok69 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    I thought I was the only one that liked Hankook rs3 tires on my cars. It seems like everyone uses Michelin pilots on their V and vettes
    Not to threadjack, but for daily driver summer tires, the PSS's are hard to beat. RS3's are awesome on dry, but terrible in the rain. My next set of tires is going to be Bridgestone RE-11's due to Michelin not making the width/aspect ratio I'm looking for in their PSS lineup.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.